+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation Yellowhammer

Re: Operation Yellowhammer

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The knots Leavers are now having to tie themselves in to try to justify their original decision would be hilarious if it wasn't such a serious situation.

Can anyone say that they had fully considered the fact that there may be shortages of crucial medicines for some patients as a result of us leaving the EU when they cast their vote Leave vote in 2016 - truthful answers would be appreciated as opposed to the usual "party line" stuff.
    People have been fully indoctrinated into the cult of Brexit. They don’t know what they want they just know they want Brexit at all costs.

Our pal William above said he voted leave because the EU were corrupt but doesn’t seem to care that the leader of our country has gambled £8.3bn on a no deal Brexit happening.

How long before we hear that people knew that they were voting for food shortages and medicine shortages, rising cost of fuel and widespread public disorder? And that we should respect their wishes

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    The trouble is in your mind, and others like you.
    Nobody is saying it’s gonna be smooth sailing. A big change is always gonna have teething problems, and some will suffer more than others while we get used to it, but that’s happened since time began.
    But why stick a pin in your eye when you don't have to?Nice of you to think of those who will suffer so that a minority of politicians can indulge in some ancient ideological notion of the Empire days when the ruling classes bowed to no one.Project fear is now becoming project reality and thanks to the law we may now know the full extent before we jump off the cliff.

The trouble is in your mind, and others like you.
    Nobody is saying it’s gonna be smooth sailing. A big change is always gonna have teething problems, and some will suffer more than others while we get used to it, but that’s happened since time began.
    But at least you're happy for people to suffer. What benefit do they get for their suffering?

escaping the clutches of a debt ridden, power hungry all consuming “club for the boys’,
    I think you'll find that's the Conservative party.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    But at least you're happy for people to suffer. What benefit do they get for their suffering?
    They get to see what a wonderful nation “we” are. “We” invented the telephone after all “we” can definitely get through this

I'm baffled the same people who call the EU a "debt ridden, power hungry all consuming “club for the boys’" seem more than happy with Cummings and Johnson running the country so they make a profit on money they're investing based on a no deal brexit.

I could see why people originally voted for brexit, we were promised so much, especially low income families. But there is such a chasm between what was promised and a no deal brexit that I struggle to see why people still want it.

John Humphries on Radio 4 this morning said that the revelations of Operation Yellowhammer were akin to a disaster movie where the supermarket shelves start to empty and panic sets in, leading to looting and rioting etc. I do wonder if this isn't just in the realms of movie making. I believe modern Western civilisation has only a thin veneer of "civility" which would quickly vanish in such a scenario.

We (and I include myself in this as a baby-boomer) are the post-war spoilt generations. We have no concept of shortages of the basic necessities of life unlike my parents who lived through WW2 (I can just remember sweet rationing finishing in the early 50's). Look at what happened in the Bahamas recently after the hurricane - armed gangs looting whatever they could scavenge. I'm pretty sure they were not doing this in order to share with their neighbours!

Should have added that this thread should be moved to the Politics forum.

I'll tell you who is laughing at the moment, those preppers and their collection of every tinned food imaginable.

Not worried by lack of fuel, with all the riots who would want to be driving around in a reasonably priced family car anyway.

May as well head to the Winchester and wait for it all to blow over.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    If that's the worst case scenario, then it's no cause for panic IMO.
    Serious question - how many lives do you consider an acceptable number to lose because of no deal, for example because of medicine shortages?

I'm not suggesting thousands will die, I'm hoping that worst case is very much worst case and it will all be fine, but it's not insane to think that some people who are completely dependent on certain medicines would die if those medicines were even slightly delayed, which seems to be a pretty realistic possibility due to a no deal Brexit. So as someone who thinks this report is no cause for panic, how many people do you think is an acceptable amount to die to get us out of the EU?

I personally think the answer is 0 being that the consequences of no deal are well known in advance and our parliamentary system is being torn apart in an attempt to avoid it happening, but there's no way your answer (going by what you believe both about this report and Brexit in general) can be 0 so what is the magic number?

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    They get to see what a wonderful nation “we” are. “We” invented the telephone after all “we” can definitely get through this
    I'll remember that when I hear of the first Brexit death. I'll remember that when a friend of mine loses his or her job thanks to Brexit. Those comforting words will mean a lot, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Serious question - how many lives do you consider an acceptable number to lose because of no deal, for example because of medicine shortages?

I'm not suggesting thousands will die, I'm hoping that worst case is very much worst case and it will all be fine, but it's not insane to think that some people who are completely dependent on certain medicines would die if those medicines were even slightly delayed, which seems to be a pretty realistic possibility due to a no deal Brexit. So as someone who thinks this report is no cause for panic, how many people do you think is an acceptable amount to die to get us out of the EU?

I personally think the answer is 0 being that the consequences of no deal are well known in advance and our parliamentary system is being torn apart in an attempt to avoid it happening, but there's no way your answer (going by what you believe both about this report and Brexit in general) can be 0 so what is the magic number?
    I don't know how anyone can actually read it and say no cause for panic. Either he hasn't read it or he can't comprehend how bad it will be.

One of the lines in there says "Low income families will be disproportionally affected by food price rises".

Yet again the poorest members of society are going to be ****ed by the richest. A lot of people who use this board will be affected by that too. No deal brexit is a disgrace.

Here are some highlights of yellowhammer, and let's remember this is the base case for a no deal brexit:

Thyroxine is needed by 1 in 20 people in the UK to stay alive to cope with their autoimmune condition, the large majority of this is manufactured in the EU.

HGV traffic will reduce to 40-60% of currentlevels, HGVs could face delays of 2 days. Could take 3 months to get back to even 50-50 levels.

Significant price increase of electricity for domestic and commercial users

Cannot stockpile insulin so their will be a massive shortage

Domestic food supply will be at risk of an outbreak of disease as we cannot buy the chemicals we need to keep it disease free

Fresh food shortages, non fresh food could be ok but availability on the shelf will be reduced (even without panic buying)

Chemical supply chain could break down and fresh water supply could be affected (luckily this one is unlikely)

Gibralter is ****ed (paraphrased)

Significant ammounts of police resource will be taken up with protests and counter protests, lucky out police force is well staffed!

Fuel shortages

Low income groups will not be able to afford food and fuel

Checks to be implemented on Northern Irish border

Northern Irish buisnesses will stop trading

Social care providers likely to go bust over time
    Anyone calling this project fear has to remember this was prepared by the party who want brexit at all costs and these are just a handful of the negatives I've pulled out.

I've not seen one positive yet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I don't know how anyone can actually read it and say no cause for panic. Either he hasn't read it or he can't comprehend how bad it will be.

One of the lines in there says "Low income families will be disproportionally affected by food price rises".

Yet again the poorest members of society are going to be ****ed by the richest. A lot of people who use this board will be affected by that too. No deal brexit is a disgrace.
    Low income groups are disproportionately affected by any change to the price of food and fuel and well everything.

They are already disproportionately affected almost daily by one thing or another, most people are too busy to notice or care most days though until it's mentioned with regards to brexit.

That line doesn't mean they are going to starve to death after a week.

Presumably the vast majority on here will vote for Jeremy Corbyn. After all that is how their parents voted so they will blindly follow suit as do many in the country. Lets examine Labour's stance:

Corbyn first said he would honour the referendum in his manifesto; then he stated he would seek a new deal and put it to the people in a second referendum; then Labour state they will campaign for a General Election after which they will negotiate a better deal if elected and then vote against their own deal in a second referendum. Then yesterday Tom Watson's priority is to get a second referendum before an Election. How Labour propose selling this jumbled mess to the public on the doorstep is beyond comprehension. On the other hand we have the Liberals who will campaign to Remain while calling for a second Referendum the result of which they will ignore if they get into power if the voters vote again to leave. It's a clear message but equally daft as Labour's policy. Meanwhile Johnson is doing all he can to leave with no deal while pretending to negotiate revised and better deal with the EU. All this says to me is that all political parties are as bad as each other and are all playing political games to suit their purposes prior to an inevitable election.

As for Yellowhammer that is supposedly the worst case scenario to enable civil servants to concentrate on the areas of most importance if there is no deal. Many of the commentators have accepted hook line and sinker that Yellowhammer is a document of fact when clearly it is not. It's a planning document to deal with the issues raised. Some of the comments on here are bordering on the hysterical which is understandable as the politicians are ramping up project fear to appeal to prospective voters in the next Election.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Low income groups are disproportionately affected by any change to the price of food and fuel and well everything.

They are already disproportionately affected almost daily by one thing or another, most people are too busy to notice or care most days though until it's mentioned with regards to brexit.

That line doesn't mean they are going to starve to death after a week.
    Ok well No Deal brexit sounds a good idea then, thanks for clearing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    As for Yellowhammer that is supposedly the worst case scenario to enable civil servants to concentrate on the areas of most importance if there is no deal. Many of the commentators have accepted hook line and sinker that Yellowhammer is a document of fact when clearly it is not. It's a planning document to deal with the issues raised. Some of the comments on here are bordering on the hysterical which is understandable as the politicians are ramping up project fear to appeal to prospective voters in the next Election.
    I don't see what Jeremy Corbyn has to do with this? I wouldn't vote for Labour at all because their view on Brexit has never been clear enough for me.

Labour want a general election. Labour do not want no deal which is why they won't agree to an election because then no deal will become the default on Oct 31st.

And if you believe this is the worst case scenario you haven't paid enough attention. This is the base case and a redacted one at that.

Why do you want a no deal brexit? What do you think the benefits of it are?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Should have added that this thread should be moved to the Politics forum.
    Better that it doesn't IMO. It's always the death of a thread when it's moved. There's a much wider range of contributors here.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I don't see what Jeremy Corbyn has to do with this? I wouldn't vote for Labour at all because their view on Brexit has never been clear enough for me.

Labour want a general election. Labour do not want no deal which is why they won't agree to an election because then no deal will become the default on Oct 31st.

And if you believe this is the worst case scenario you haven't paid enough attention. This is the base case and a redacted one at that.

Why do you want a no deal brexit? What do you think the benefits of it are?
    I suggest you pay attention. Where does the document state it is a base case? The document is headed "HMG Reasonable Worst Case Planning Assumptions".

Where did I say I wanted a no deal Brexit?

It is the base case. It’s the same one that was leaked 3 months ago.

Listen to anyone in the know, yellowhammer is the base case. Black Swan is the worst case, no one has seen this yet.

Here is is being reported in the pro Brexit newspaper The Times - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/this-is-not-project-fear-its-what-we-face-after-no-deal-brexit-3p2cdq9zd

Quote Originally Posted by rudy gestede View Post
    it’s the blitz spirit lads!

This is the base case, if you’re happy for people to die for the U.K. to be in a situation which so far has zero discernable benefits fair enough.

This is what will happen if we get no deal. There is no panicking about it and it’s why it’s important that we get a deal.

No one at the time voted for a no deal and anyone saying they did is a liar.

But hey at least hedge funds directly related to boris johnson have placed £8.3bn on a no deal Brexit happening.

I voted for no deal if you want to put it that way, and I'm not a liar.
    Any deal or otherwise was a thing which would obviously follow Brexit ,but it was not on the ballot paper and it wasn't an issue.

It's still not, except as another trick by the elite minority to stop Brexit.

It's about national sovereignty and history, including the wartime sacrifices which you make fun of there. However, the whole EU project is faulted for many reasons and the British public have voted to leave it, so in the end democracy will prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I suggest you pay attention. Where does the document state it is a base case? The document is headed "HMG Reasonable Worst Case Planning Assumptions".

It was in August 2019 that the Sunday Times*published a full exposé*of the contents of the dossier including warnings about surging food prices and shortage of fuel and medical supplies. The document has been edited since the Sunday Times leak to say “worst case planning assumptions” where previously it said “base scenario”.

https://www.ft.com/content/dc8053e4-...d-ab8ec6435630

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    It's still not, except as another trick by the elite minority to stop Brexit.
    Dominic Cummings lives in a £1.6m London townhouse, with a tapestry room; while he and his mates have put short options of £11bn on a no deal brexit but yes, everyone else is the elite.