+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "a team who doesn’t really want to play".

Re: "a team who doesn’t really want to play".

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Sounded like a load of moaning to me. Funny how he didn't mention the blatant hand ball before their goal. One eyed bollox is all it is.
    All managers do it.

Quote Originally Posted by simonp_ccfc View Post
    Not sure Bacuna can play further forward. Think he's a DM only and a good one based on recent weeks. Would have him as backup to Pack only.
    I meant as a box-to-box midfielder rather than an attacking midfielder. Sorry, I should have made that more clear.

I agree that Bacuna has played well recently, but both him and Ralls can get caught too high up the pitch when we lose possession in the opposition half, which is why I'd play with Pack sitting in front of the defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We didn't have the current versions of Paterson or Tomlin in 17/18. Our lack of fitness in front of the midfield 2 is killing us.
    That attacking midfield position has been a waste of a shirt for us this season. Tomlin doesn't have the engine and using Paterson as battering ram isn't working like it did two years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    That attacking midfield position has been a waste of a shirt for us this season. Tomlin doesn't have the engine and using Paterson as battering ram isn't working like it did two years ago.
    Paterson isn't the same as he was two years ago. He's carrying a knock, he's not fit and he's a bit chunky. Hopefully he's back to his best but he's been a passenger in recent weeks and that's the last thing I thought we'd ever say about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Paterson isn't the same as he was two years ago. He's carrying a knock, he's not fit and he's a bit chunky. Hopefully he's back to his best but he's been a passenger in recent weeks and that's the last thing I thought we'd ever say about him.
    I also think that, during our promotion season, he was very much an unknown quantity. I think we bought him as a right back, but I'm not confident in this. Warnock said he'd be a fan's favourite. Even in the Premier League, defenders hadn't really come across anyone as unorthodox as Paterson.

Now teams are more aware of him, coupled with his lack of fitness, and he's been anonymous all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I also think that, during our promotion season, he was very much an unknown quantity. I think we bought him as a right back, but I'm not confident in this. Warnock said he'd be a fan's favourite. Even in the Premier League, defenders hadn't really come across anyone as unorthodox as Paterson.

Now teams are more aware of him, coupled with his lack of fitness, and he's been anonymous all season.
    He's fat, unfit and a million miles off it. I'm sure he'll be back, he's got a great eye for goal and he's immense in the air. I don't think this has as much to do with people being used to him, rather than he's not had a preseason and could be that type of player that takes a while to get the cobwebs off.

He's right, we don't really want to play. He probably wouldn't have brought it up though had Derby battered us. I think that the problem with this debate is that some fans who defend Warnock's tactics go to extremes to prove their point. Things that are cited are 400 passes at the back, but getting nowhere, Tippy Tappy, Fulham getting relegated is always a favourite. It's almost as if Warnock is being portrayed as an Anti Hero, a throwback to the old days when things were less complicated, a sort of fingers up to the modern day footballing hipsters. I sort of get it, our football is definitely more builders tea than soya latte, it could be said that Warnocks Attitude and footballing style pitted against the cool looking Euro thinking, young modern day coach is a reflection of the political situation in this country at the moment as well.

I'm struggling to watch us at the moment, there's hardly any creativity, we don't look to create openings, angles, we don't have players who are allowed to make advanced runs in order to create space, our fullbacks man mark and our central defenders smash the ball 40 yards, all of this happens week after week. I'm not after 'Tippy Tappy' or loads of passes at the back without getting anywhere and i don't want us to be like Fulham. What i would like to see is some creativity from our midfield, an option for the central defenders ,and central midfielders who want to get on the ball and make things tick in the final third. That's not alot to ask for, is it?