+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cardiff to pay 5.3 Million for Sala

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cardiff to pay 5.3 Million for Sala

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Kept quiet? You're joking, right?

I've no idea whether City are legally obliged to pay the fee or not, but one thing the club hasn't done is kept quiet. Indeed, rather than keep quiet as they should have done, they've made a series of unnecessary statements about the situation as it has developed.
    I can't remember every statement made by the club but my recollection was that they have been fairly restrained. They have normally only made a press statement when news stories or widespread public speculation demanded some sort of response.

The three main messages that have come out of the club since the tragedy are: shock and grief at the deaths and concern for the families; a need to totally overhaul the way the private jet system works and calling for more controls and regulation; and finally on the fee - the club needed to understand the legal/contractual position better but would pay what it was required to pay once that had been resolved.

The club get things wrong, but not so much in recent years. On this I think they have got it mostly right.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I can't remember every statement made by the club but my recollection was that they have been fairly restrained. They have normally only made a press statement when news stories or widespread public speculation demanded some sort of response.
    You think really this statement was necessary?

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...tement-2502192

Or the one quoted here?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...t-out-16054313

What value do such statements have?

You think really this statement was necessary?

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...tement-2502192

Or the one quoted here?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...t-out-16054313

What value do such statements have?
    Neither of them relate to the fee, do they? They've not got involved with the tit for tat that Nantes tried to involve the club in. Also, when the news comes out about the pilot etc, I don't think the club can say nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Neither of them relate to the fee, do they? They've not got involved with the tit for tat that Nantes tried to involve the club in. Also, when the news comes out about the pilot etc, I don't think the club can say nothing.
    What have Nantes actually said publicly prior to today? What 'tit for tat' have they attempted to involve the club in?

What have Nantes actually said publicly prior to today? What 'tit for tat' have they attempted to involve the club in?
    https://www.theguardian.com/football...-emiliano-sala

Nantes demanded the fee after a few weeks.

Nantes demanded the fee after a few weeks.
    Indeed they did. But how on earth does Nantes requesting a payment they believed they were legally overdue for a player they had sold to Cardiff equate to them attempting to involve City in 'tit for tat'? To me, it suggests they were attempting to get paid.

Remember, it was Cardiff City who announced to the world that they had signed Sala subject to international clearance, and there's never been any suggestion that the clearance wasn't forthcoming:

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-is-a-bluebird

Until today, I honestly can't recall reading a single thing in the press from Nantes regarding the Sala business other than their initial statements after he'd gone missing. However, Cardiff have made plenty of noise about it. Indeed, the Chairman was talking to the French press within days.

Neither of them relate to the fee, do they?
    You think they're unconnected?

You think they're unconnected?
    After the reports come out, do you think the club can say nothing?

After the reports come out, do you think the club can say nothing?
    Of course they could have said nothing. To me, that would have been the wisest and most dignified thing to do.

What did City gain by releasing the statements they did? What did those statements achieve?

Of course they could have said nothing. To me, that would have been the wisest and most dignified thing to do.

What did City gain by releasing the statements they did? What did those statements achieve?
    Distancing themselves from McKay who was making disparaging comments about the club? The club were getting stick from the broadsheets and McKay who did his TV interview, so I don't think the club could have said nothing. They were reacting to Nantes' demands for payments while his body wasn't found, while McKay was throwing as much mud so his name wouldn't get tarnished.