+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cardiff to pay 5.3 Million for Sala

Cardiff to pay 5.3 Million for Sala

From BBC

Cardiff City have been told to pay a transfer fee of 6m euros (£5.3m) to Nantes for Emiliano Sala.

A Fifa panel met to rule on a dispute between the clubs, who had failed to reach agreement on settling payment for the striker.

The Argentine, who was 28, died in a plane crash in January while travelling from France to join his new club.

Cardiff had argued they were not liable for the £15m fee because Sala was not officially their player when he died.

Re: Cardiff to pay 5.3 Million for Sala

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Lee View Post
    From BBC

Cardiff City have been told to pay a transfer fee of 6m euros (£5.3m) to Nantes for Emiliano Sala.

A Fifa panel met to rule on a dispute between the clubs, who had failed to reach agreement on settling payment for the striker.

The Argentine, who was 28, died in a plane crash in January while travelling from France to join his new club.

Cardiff had argued they were not liable for the £15m fee because Sala was not officially their player when he died.
    From what I gather that is a first installment?

All a bit tasteless this and I don't think we've come out covered in glory to be honest. Not one of the club's finest moments.

It may be that City must pay the £5.5m for the transfer equivalent to the first installment not as a first installment

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    All a bit tasteless this and I don't think we've come out covered in glory to be honest. Not one of the club's finest moments.
    On the contrary, I think they've done the right thing. They've kept quiet and handed it to the insurers etc. Nantes have kicked up a fuss but this ruling shows the transfer wasn't finalised. It's horrible but the club did offer a sum to draw a line under it and Nantes refused. I'm not sure what the club could have done but we're not in a position to just throw away £10m.

International

It was always going to be tasteless once the insurers and money men get involved, but it would be stupid to pay for their advice and then ignore it, you can become liable for all kinds of stuff.
    dunno why igovernor thinks its only a first payment. Where has that piece of 'news' come from?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    On the contrary, I think they've done the right thing. They've kept quiet and handed it to the insurers etc. Nantes have kicked up a fuss but this ruling shows the transfer wasn't finalised. It's horrible but the club did offer a sum to draw a line under it and Nantes refused. I'm not sure what the club could have done but we're not in a position to just throw away £10m.
    I agree. and if that £10m was already set aside just in case it might now be freed up for other uses.

Nantes and Cardiff have 10 days to appeal if they wish. It would look really bad if we appealed but I'm almost certain Nantes will.

I understand why you see it that way and there is a financial logic to it, it's just after all the "once a bluebird, always a bluebird" and posing with the shirt etc it's pretty gross to see two clubs arguing the smallprint of a "commodity" and I wish we'd paid the fee that we were committed to paying. Or even better paid most and of it and donated a part of it to his family.

I understand why you see it that way and there is a financial logic to it, it's just after all the "once a bluebird, always a bluebird" and posing with the shirt etc it's pretty gross to see two clubs arguing the smallprint of a "commodity" and I wish we'd paid the fee that we were committed to paying. Or even better paid most and of it and donated a part of it to his family.
    Insurers will be involved and telling the club what to do. Nantes and Cardiff lost out because of Willie McKay's actions. He was coming back over to sign for us, and the grief was legitimate from all parties. I honestly have no idea what the club could have done, £10m is pretty much our record signing, we aren't in a position to piss that up the wall. I hope his family are supported and the club would do well to pay the money to his youth club as a PR exercise. It wouldn't cost a lot but would boost the club's reputation.

So, was Emiliano insured by either club at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    It was always going to be tasteless once the insurers and money men get involved, but it would be stupid to pay for their advice and then ignore it, you can become liable for all kinds of stuff.
    dunno why igovernor thinks its only a first payment. Where has that piece of 'news' come from?
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49825166

Sky Sports

Cardiff City FC

Statement

Cardiff City Want FIFA to clarify their exact meaning of the FIFA statement before they decide what to do next.

It now looks like that article isn't correct and we have to pay the first installment in full, as that's what Nantes have complained about and we're having to pay the full sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    City could have to pay more according to what FIFA have said, it ain’t over yet

International

Thanks!!

it is not clear yet, that is why city are asking for clarification, what the papers are saying is ambiguous, we will soon find out!

Wasn't there a suggestion or attempt to inflate Sala's fee, I seem to remember a market value being around this mark before we had the isual agents value spin and stories of a hosts of clubs pursing the lad .

Does the agent still get his fee ??

Sky Sports

Cardiff City FC

Statement

Cardiff City Want FIFA to clarify their exact meaning of the FIFA statement before they decide what to do next.

Good - I hope someone clarifies the statement.

Does it mean the full £15m is due to Nantes in 3 instalments, or just the first instalment? Most of the 'news stories' refer only to the initial £5.3m (6m Euros) but surely it must be all or nothing - not just a part payment. Either the transfer was complete or it wasn't?

In either case what was the FIFA judgement based on - and what is their response to the submissions made by both clubs?

Will the insurers (for whichever club is liable) be led by a FIFA committee judgement - or will it have to go back around the lawyers?

It is all ugly and disrespectful - but unavoidable I expect. As others have said, I hope whatever the outcome between Cardiff and Nantes, Sala's family and home townl club are looked after.

The dreaded 'Sun' (the only other source I could find at speed) seems to be under the impression that the whole fee will be payable:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...emiliano-sala/

Insurers will be involved and telling the club what to do. Nantes and Cardiff lost out because of Willie McKay's actions. He was coming back over to sign for us, and the grief was legitimate from all parties. I honestly have no idea what the club could have done, £10m is pretty much our record signing, we aren't in a position to piss that up the wall. I hope his family are supported and the club would do well to pay the money to his youth club as a PR exercise. It wouldn't cost a lot but would boost the club's reputation.
    This is what I thought.

Let’s pay what we have to, and sue McKay if our insurance (I’m assuming we have some) doesn’t pay out.

It is a shame to hear this may not be the end of the situation.

When I first heard the news earlier, my first thoughts where it sounded like a common sense decision. Both clubs had valid perspectives on the situation, it was a tough situation that no one would walk away happy from, 5.3 million looked to be on the surface a good compromise position for me put forward by the committee.

There is a saying in business; the best settlements is when nobody is 100% happy.
    5.3m sounded like a sensible ruling, I still hope that is the FINAL decision as I fell it is one both sets of clubs and fans can sallow.

To me it sounds like we have to pay the first installment no because we have passed the date when it had to be paid. I think this means we will have to pay the whole thing, unless some of it was performance based.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    It is a shame to hear this may not be the end of the situation.

When I first heard the news earlier, my first thoughts where it sounded like a common sense decision. Both clubs had valid perspectives on the situation, it was a tough situation that no one would walk away happy from, 5.3 million looked to be on the surface a good compromise position for me put forward by the committee.

There is a saying in business; the best settlements is when nobody is 100% happy.
    5.3m sounded like a sensible ruling, I still hope that is the FINAL decision as I fell it is one both sets of clubs and fans can sallow.
    Don’t forget Bordeaux are due 33% of any fee too.

On the contrary, I think they've done the right thing. They've kept quiet and handed it to the insurers etc.
    Kept quiet? You're joking, right?

I've no idea whether City are legally obliged to pay the fee or not, but one thing the club hasn't done is kept quiet. Indeed, rather than keep quiet as they should have done, they've made a series of unnecessary statements about the situation as it has developed.