+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Prison Justice served ? ? ? return of the death sentence ? ? ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Prison Justice served ? ? ? return of the death sentence ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Surely that argument blows any argument for the death penalty away. Why would you ever want an innocent person killed even if the chance is miniscule?

The chances of winning the lottery are 1 in 14 million. If you think our criminal justice system is that accurate you must be even more off your nut than you've come across in this thread.
    Whatever system you have innocent people will be killed. If your sole argument against the death penalty is innocent people being killed then you should be for the death penalty. The deterrent effect will save many innocents from death and also you will not have murderers being let out or escaping and killing again.

I didn't mean there is a one a billion chance of a miscarriage of justice under the present system. I meant that even if we have an almost failproof system - e.g. everyone watched all the time with CCTV - we will still have glitches that will lead to people being punished unfairly. At the moment our system is so hopeless that all it takes is for some unstable person to shout "witch" or "paedo" and to point the finger and you are in big trouble.

The idea that Savile is guilty of nothing more than being a groper like many entertainment people from the 1960s and 1970s is not insane. There are sites like the following where this is claimed. Don't forget that until a few years ago millions of readers of The Sun leered at topless pictures of 16 years olds. Sexual harassment was standard fare in many offices and factories.

http://rabbitaway.blogspot.com/

http://jimcannotfixthis.blogspot.com/

Carl Beech, helped by Tom Watson MP, said that Savile tortured him. Beech said the same about the heads of MI5, MI6, the head of the army and his assistant, a former Prime Minister and other politicians. Beech was given £20k without having to prove anything. Most of the money Savile left for charities went to lawyers and the rest went to anyone who said he or she was a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    Whatever system you have innocent people will be killed. If your sole argument against the death penalty is innocent people being killed then you should be for the death penalty. The deterrent effect will save many innocents from death and also you will not have murderers being let out or escaping and killing again.

I didn't mean there is a one a billion chance of a miscarriage of justice under the present system. I meant that even if we have an almost failproof system - e.g. everyone watched all the time with CCTV - we will still have glitches that will lead to people being punished unfairly. At the moment our system is so hopeless that all it takes is for some unstable person to shout "witch" or "paedo" and to point the finger and you are in big trouble.

The idea that Savile is guilty of nothing more than being a groper like many entertainment people from the 1960s and 1970s is not insane. There are sites like the following where this is claimed. Don't forget that until a few years ago millions of readers of The Sun leered at topless pictures of 16 years olds. Sexual harassment was standard fare in many offices and factories.

Carl Beech, helped by Tom Watson MP, said that Savile tortured him. Beech said the same about the heads of MI5, MI6, the head of the army and his assistant, a former Prime Minister and other politicians. Beech was given £20k without having to prove anything. Most of the money Savile left for charities went to lawyers and the rest went to anyone who said he or she was a victim.
    Do you want to buy some magic beans?

http://buysomemagicbeans.blogspot.com/

This site says they are really good.

I feel that I have entered an alternative universe. Nurse! Nurse!

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I feel that I have entered an alternative universe. Nurse! Nurse!
    I can understand why you are shouting for a nurse. From what I remember you are the poster who has been attending the same German language class for 30 years or so. You seem to be trapped in a Groundhog Day nightmare universe.

Innocent people would be saved by a death penalty because I would guess that less innocent people would be executed than innocent people murdered by killers who had been released plus innocent people saved by the death penalty deterrent. That in my mind is not the main argument for the death penalty. I was just countered someone's argument that the death penalty kills innocent people.

I can understand why you are shouting for a nurse. From what I remember you are the poster who has been attending the same German language class for 30 years or so. You seem to be trapped in a Groundhog Day nightmare universe.

Innocent people would be saved by a death penalty because I would guess that less innocent people would be executed than innocent people murdered by killers who had been released plus innocent people saved by the death penalty deterrent. That in my mind is not the main argument for the death penalty. I was just countered someone's argument that the death penalty kills innocent people.
    Well if you are any sort of linguist you will know it's a case of 'use it or lose it' and my German lecturer is a fantastic Oxford-educated polyglot so this humble soul has no problem with learning from him every week (in addition to accessing other sources) and improving my level year-on-year. If you see that as a negative and relevant in this thread in any way whatsoever bully for you.

Personally, I think it makes you come over as being rather silly.

Well if you are any sort of linguist you will know it's a case of 'use it or lose it' and my German lecturer is a fantastic Oxford-educated polyglot so this humble soul has no problem with learning from him every week (in addition to accessing other sources) and improving my level year-on-year. If you see that as a negative and relevant in this thread in any way whatsoever bully for you.

Personally, I think it makes you come over as being rather silly.
    Why is it that those who dish it out are the most sensitive about receiving it? I am not casting any aspersions on your teacher/guru/boyfriend. I think it is great to keep learning. It keeps my brain active.

Why is it that those who dish it out are the most sensitive about receiving it? I am not casting any aspersions on your teacher/guru/boyfriend. I think it is great to keep learning. It keeps my brain active.
    So now I am considered to be sensitive because I thought your comment was irrelevant and silly. And then you insert the very childish 'boyfriend' comment.

I am sure that you feel very clever.

So now I am considered to be sensitive because I thought your comment was irrelevant and silly. And then you insert the very childish 'boyfriend' comment.

I am sure that you feel very clever.
    It's probably the first time in his life that he's been politically correct-Maybe he's turning?