+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unsavoury goings on in Bulgaria

Unsavoury goings on in Bulgaria

England winning comfortably but racist chanting has forced delays to the game, Bulgarian players appealing to the crowd and dozens of hooded 'fans' leaving en masse as if they had been rumbled.

Re: Unsavoury goings on in Bulgaria

Those scumbags are bound to be waiting outside the stadium aren't they? Hoping there's no trouble between the England fans

Didn’t seem to be any arrests, were police involved? Didn’t see any, perhaps acting this way isn’t arrestable in Bulgaria??????

This seems to becoming a serious problem in Eastern Europe although it’s also becoming a growing issue at home. Beggars belief we are going back to the bad old days.

I have been to Bulgaria a number of times and have always been a bit perturbed by the grafitti seen everywhere with nazi symbols on buildings and prominent features. Which is very, very sad as the Bulgarians I have met have been really decent down to earth people. Yet you can't help but notice in cities like Sofia and Plovdiv you see very few non-whites.

Very sad in this day and age.

Have to laugh at how bbc reporters are saying Hungary should be ashamed yet they don’t mention the antics of their own supporters

The two places in the world where I've experienced the most racism is Sardinia and Budapest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    This seems to becoming a serious problem in Eastern Europe although it’s also becoming a growing issue at home. Beggars belief we are going back to the bad old days.
    Home, America, Russia....I could go on sadly. There seems to be a proper right wing rising at the moment all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Home, America, Russia....I could go on sadly. There seems to be a proper right wing rising at the moment all over the world.
    It won’t be forever. Things will turn again but at the moment it’s grim.

The one thing I don't want to see happen was the away fans "taunting" Bulgarian fans for their racist behaviour. Racism is evil and should be challenged but I think this is more effectively done by, at least in the moment, challenging racism itself rather than making it a case of our fans are good and your fans are bad. This would hopefully allow the good supporters/football officials in Bulgaria to take the really important stand against racism without feeling they are taking a stand against their own nation.

To clarify, there was a twitter post about Tory party conference recently where one talk was "the issue of Islamaphobia" and nine questions out of ten were about anti-Semitism in the Labour party: if the issue is serious enough then it shouldn't really be about "us" and "them" because it becomes too easy to point the finger at "them" rather than solving the issue for everyone.

Having said that, this is the first game I have wanted England to win in a long time.

Theres racism in all societies always had been and sadly always will be Eastern and some parts parts of Western Europe seem very bad . FIFA.UEFA head up the biggest sport on the planet. Step stop the rhetoric.

Southgate seems a thoroughly decent man .

There was a tweet regarding Welsh fans response to Slovakia potential ban asking where the outrage was for racism seen in the Welsh football league system. Let's not forget the recent news story regarding the two Syrian lads who were reported as being attacked in Bridgend because anyone reading the Walesonline comment section will see we still have some way to go here.

Bulgarian fans behaviour was abhorrent. Maybe it might have an effect on English fans who may realise that singing crass sings about Lancaster bombers, pro UDA chants and extremely derogatory songs about Liverpool supporters isn’t acceptable.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Have to laugh at how bbc reporters are saying Hungary should be ashamed yet they don’t mention the antics of their own supporters
    I read this but I must have missed something.

Love that Rashford and Sterling got goals in a thumping win. Didn't Bulgaria used to be half decent? Below Kosovo in that group by some distance.

UEFA need to impose far heavier sentences on these countries.
    I am not saying the UK is over racism but countries in Eastern Europe, who have huge problems, should simply be kicked out of some of these competitions.

I'd relay details of some unsavoury goings on in Cowbridge that I witnessed this morning but am unable to as this is a family orientated message board and I have no desire to shock or disgust innocent visitors.

Borislav Mihaylov, the president of the Bulgarian Football Union, has resigned.

More than 20 police officers swept into the BFU’s headquarters in Sofia. Sources close to the issue told Reuters that officers had been searching for documents related to some Bulgarian referees.

Bulgaria goalkeeper Plamen Iliev has said home fans “behaved well” during the game, suggesting that Gareth Southgate’s players “overreacted a bit”.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...islav-mihaylov

From other online reports I have read most of the Bulgarian press, along with the country's President and the team captain have condemned the racist abuse and described last night as shameful. Quite a few positives out of a disgusting situation.

(Not sure if the raid on the football federation HQ was in any way related to last night or is just about alleged corruption in the organisation - and contributed to the resignation of the president - who I read was a former Reading FC goalkeeper).

Think this sums up UEFA and Fifa and letting this go without a life ban back in 2004 , I felt after that awful statement from a national team manager , nothing would ever happen, guess thats what has happened .

Spain's national manager Luis Aragonés yesterday called Thierry Henry a "black shit" but insisted he was not a racist.

It seems to me that the only country to ever be charged and taken to task was England due to hooliganism ( rightly so ) .

Nothing of this type of punishment since .

https://www.theguardian.com/football...wsstory.sport5

Uefa has charged the Bulgarian football union over the racist behaviour of its fans at Monday’s Euro 2020 qualifier against England. The Football Association is also facing sanctions after being charged for the disruption of the Bulgarian national anthem by England supporters and for having an insufficient number of travelling stewards.

On a lengthy Uefa charge sheet the most significant aspect was the reference to chants and Nazi salutes by Bulgaria fans. However both national associations were also charged over the disruption of national anthems and among the other charges was one for the BFU relating to the throwing of objects from the stands.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...lgaria-england

we must stop the anti english stuff as soon as possible. It's pathetic and an embaressment to the club. Please stop otherwise we are no better than the hooded racists

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    we must stop the anti english stuff as soon as possible. It's pathetic and an embaressment to the club. Please stop otherwise we are no better than the hooded racists
    Seconded

Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    And in fairness that goes both ways.

How come England are now the victims where previously they have been the perpetrators of this. Maybe not to players but to Innocent bistanders in countries where they have played.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    How come England are now the victims where previously they have been the perpetrators of this. Maybe not to players but to Innocent bistanders in countries where they have played.
    And I've heard chants and comments from City and Wales fans over the years. Every country has them. The scenes in the stadium last night were a throwback, hooligan groups dressed in black hoodies doing nazi salutes, monkey chants.

Last night England players were the target, I won't say victims as I don't think that's really the point.