Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
Our transfer policy has to be the worst in the top two divisions, even worse than Fulham. I think NW has spent £57m on transfer fees (approx) since he's been here and we have no value in our team especially. He did well with free transfers and out of contract players like Bamba, Hoilett, NML and Etheridge were excellent, when he actually spends money it is awful. Paterson has been decent though.

Tomlin (£1.6m), Ward (£1.6m), Bogle (£750k), Paterson (£425k), Madine (£6m), Reid (£10m), Cunningham (£4m), Smithies (£3.5m), Bacuna (£3m), Murphy (£11m),Flint (£6m), Whyte (£2m), Pacl (£750k), Glatzel (£5.5m), Vaulks (£2.1m), Vassell (£2m). Actually that's about £60m if the Pack fee is right.

Not many of those have been exceptional or even good for us, about 5 of them can't get a game, and Flint and Murphy are OK but are they worth the fee? We don't seem to pick up players any more then be able to profit from them , either by having good performances on the pitch or selling one (Zohore being one exception). Plus the gambles last season on loans of Camarasa, Arter and Niasse, only one of whom played well.

Unfortunately our 'friends' down West have spent shedfulls too but sold a load of players for big fees to keep them going.

How much would we get back for ours listed above. Some will be released at the end of the season (Bogle, Ward, Tomlin). Two of those were deemed not good enough not long after we signed them and sent out on loans, now we want them as first choices. It shows how far backwards we have gone, so to be where we are and 6 points of the top is no bad.

We need someone in who can do what Dave Jones did, sign - in his words 'waifs and strays' and get them to perform and then sell them on for big fees, Loovens, Johnson, Chopra etc.
Do we really want to go back to those days, whereby as soon as we signed someone more than useful the vultures were circling and we were forced to sell because we didnt have a pot to piss in?

I'd certainly like us to be signing the likes of the forementioned players, rather than the crocks & stiffs that Warnock seems to favour, but I would like us to build upon such players and not sell all the time, as we have done in the past.