+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life under Tan

Re: Life under Tan

There’s probably more chance of Tan selling up than there is him appointing a (decent) DOF.

I’d see the appointment of NW as DOF as more of an honorary consultancy role than anything approaching a full time, expert in the general running of off-field matters. I wouldn’t be surprised if Warnock didn’t know what a DOF’s day to day duties are. The guy is from a different era.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    Does anyone think that life as a city fan will ever be "exciting" again under Tan ?

I can't imagine anything similar to us making ambitious signings in the way we did when Malky was here. I don't see us signing a left-field or youthful manager. I don't see us developing any youngsters.

Things are beginning to feel a bit stale with the current setup.

There are obviously positives in that we should continue to become more financially stable , if the projected plan is realised off the pitch and we will hopefully remain a solid championship side under the new manager.

I just can't remember the last time I got excited about a signing. I miss a bit of hype and buzz about the future of the club.

Even with Warnock leaving at the end of the season, there are ZERO rumours or talk of what should be a new and exciting era for the club.

Maybe we are just going to have to get used to being a pragmatically run second tier side for the next few seasons.

Where do you see the glimmer of light ?
    What we need is someone like Fosun at Wolves.

Oh hang on, they are scaling back their investment and are going to leave them right in the cart

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Weve had 2 PL promotions under this ownership.

Problem is we are playing sh!t football and not winning.

Who gives a shit where Vincent Tan is? Im more concerned with the multi millions spent on players who either cant get in the team or in other cases are not good enough.

Not to mention watching our tactics of long throws up the line trying to win the 2nd ball.
    Agree, can't say it's been dull in the last few years, 2 promotions to the top league, 2 relegations, the abomination of the red kit and thankfullly, albeit belatedly, the reversal. The first five or six games of our promotion season under Warnock was some of the best football I've seen in quite some time with 2 quick wingers and a quick striker. We've just seemed to have completely lost the plot this season but it does happen with teams coming down - the club said they wanted to do a Burnley but Burnley are more an exception - more likely to do a Huddersfield / Stoke / Blackburn / Sunderland etc, long list of teams who struggle after relegation.

Having been so verbal over the Cornelius transfer I'm amazed VT hasn't had something to say about the money spent particularly on Madine and Glatzel

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I'm not sure what benefit a connection to the club actually brings, I'd rather have someone who has experience in a club that is run in the right way, that they can bring back here.
    Even if it is someone more junior that would be making a step up i.e someone in recruitment or analysis.

First though we should think about exactly what we want the DoF to do. There are many different ways the role has been implemented , with differing levels of responsibility,
    We can debate what we want to see from a DoF until the cows come home, but the odds are that Messrs Tan, Dalman and Choo would think differently (I think I'm right in saying that the only public comment we've seen since our relegation on the subject from the three of them was Mehmet Dalman saying we wouldn't be appointing one).

The first thing that needs to happen is for Vincent Tan to come around to a way of thinking which says things aren't working at the club on plenty of levels, we need to do something about it. Frankly, the only way I can see that happening is through of combination which needs the first team to keep on failing like it has been doing for the first three months of the season and a perception that Neil Warnock has been wasting his money.

I feel this is unlikely to happen any time soon because it would appear that Mr Tan has a lot of time for our manager, but, if it does, then my preference would be for him to appoint someone with a working knowledge of all facets of the game to come in from outside to carry out a study into what is needed for Cardiff City to become a more efficient club in terms of administration, recruitment policy and youth development.

Unfortunately, I'd also class this as highly unlikely, whereas I can see a possibility of a decision being made to appoint a popular former player as DoF on the grounds that it would be a move which would prove popular with the fans - given that he is currently doing this job at another club, Steve McPhail seems as good a bet as anyone to me.

If Steve Mcphail hadnt been a Cardiff player and after Saturday's performance the answer was to bring in someone from the Irish League the boards would be in meltdown.

If we really are looking at ex players then someone like Gareth Ainsworth surely would be a better bet.

If Steve Mcphail hadnt been a Cardiff player and after Saturday's performance the answer was to bring in someone from the Irish League the boards would be in meltdown.

If we really are looking at ex players then someone like Gareth Ainsworth surely would be a better bet.
    I'm not talking about a manager, I'm talking about a Director of Football, what qualifications does Ainsworth have for such a role? If someone wanted to recommend Ainsworth as a new manager, then fair enough based on the job he has done at Wycombe - we could do a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'm not talking about a manager, I'm talking about a Director of Football, what qualifications does Ainsworth have for such a role? If someone wanted to recommend Ainsworth as a new manager, then fair enough based on the job he has done at Wycombe - we could do a lot worse.
    I dont think we need a DOF. We just need a manager or coach with his own staff who can get us playing entertaining and hopefully winning football. That can still even be a direct style but not the tedious throw it up the line and try and win 2nd ball garbage.

NW is almost certainly going very soon. The priority is getting in a replacement with his own coaching staff.

I dont see what Steve Mcphail being in the backround as DOF would offer at all.

I dont think we need a DOF. We just need a manager or coach with his own staff who can get us playing entertaining and hopefully winning football. That can still even be a direct style but not the tedious throw it up the line and try and win 2nd ball garbage.

NW is almost certainly going very soon. The priority is getting in a replacement with his own coaching staff.

So you're happy with City's recruitment since the summer of 2017, the fact that our Academy does not provide first team footballers and that our current young player of the year has grey hair then?

So you're happy with City's recruitment since the summer of 2017, the fact that our Academy does not provide first team footballers and that our current young player of the year has grey hair then?
    No. But I dont see at all how recruiting someone from the Irish League solves anything.

The recruitment since 2017 is on the managers head.

A director of football would offer continuity and an actual plan of succession for when (for whatever reason) that manager leaves.

Even if we did stumble upon a good manager when Warnock leaves who is allowed to bring in his own backroom staff, if he's successful like for example Brendan Rodgers then he'll take all his backroom staff with him when he moves on to bigger and better things.

We need a vision at the club which extends beyond its current management team.

I'm amazed how people fail to see this. We've gone from Dave Jones (attacking) to Malky (organized and defensive) to Ole (attacking!!) to Slade (route one) to Trollope (possession) to Warnock (route one).

Don't you see how fragmented and confused our vision is?

We don't even know what we're striving for as a club.

Unless this is addressed we will come undone dramatically one day and we could tumble through the leagues again.

No. But I dont see at all how recruiting someone from the Irish League solves anything.

The recruitment since 2017 is on the managers head.
    Stuart Webber started out cutting grass at Wrexham. What’s your point?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I've never felt this way about Cardiff City. In over 40 years.
    I've never felt this way about Cardiff City in over 60 years.

StT.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Stuart Webber started out cutting grass at Wrexham. What’s your point?
    My thoughts exactly.

Why be so condescending and snobby towards the Irish league. It produces a lot of good footballers.

A couple of things for me:

- Warnock’s relationship with the board has become too cosy. He’s surviving based in his past reputation - pre-Cardiff and his fortuitous promotion with us. I don’t see other clubs, such as Huddersfield standing for this.

- It’s clear that a majority of supporters (on this board at least) are disenfranchised with the way the club is run, so do the supporters’ trust have an opportunity to articulate this and would they be listened to?

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    A couple of things for me:

- Warnock’s relationship with the board has become too cosy. He’s surviving based in his past reputation - pre-Cardiff and his fortuitous promotion with us. I don’t see other clubs, such as Huddersfield standing for this.

- It’s clear that a majority of supporters (on this board at least) are disenfranchised with the way the club is run, so do the supporters’ trust have an opportunity to articulate this and would they be listened to?
    I agree that a lot of supporters are dissatisfied with the current manager's performance, the teams performance, and the general lack of strategy in the Club. NW is managed by a part time CEO, who shares his time with the running of VTs car franchise, a London based chairman, and the rest of the Board seem to be based in Malaysia. So he is probably left to do his own thing.
    The Trust should be asking what the Club's strategy is for the next five years, including management, development and investment.
    Finally, even if we were in the relegation zone, I think NWs job is safe until the whole sad saga of Sala is complete including the final accident report, and the ongoing legal issues are sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    I agree that a lot of supporters are dissatisfied with the current manager's performance, the teams performance, and the general lack of strategy in the Club. NW is managed by a part time CEO, who shares his time with the running of VTs car franchise, a London based chairman, and the rest of the Board seem to be based in Malaysia. So he is probably left to do his own thing.
    The Trust should be asking what the Club's strategy is for the next five years, including management, development and investment.
    Finally, even if we were in the relegation zone, I think NWs job is safe until the whole sad saga of Sala is complete including the final accident report, and the ongoing legal issues are sorted.
    To be fair to the Trust they have been questioning the Club about their governance arrangements. At the beginning of September they applied proposed “fit and proper person” test rules to the members of the Club’s board and concluded that the mystery Malaysian members who no-one has ever heard of and have probably never been to Cardiff wouldn’t pass. You would have thought that a significant proportion of the Club’s board having questionable qualifications to be board members might have stirred up a bit of interest. Well, it didn’t. It was circulated to the press who didn’t pick it up at all, it was posted on message boards where there was negligible interest and because no-one seemed to be bothered I’m not aware of a response from the Club. It was published in the first week of September 2019. At that time it didn’t get response perhaps because everything in the garden was rosy and people were more optimistic for the current season than they are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    To be fair to the Trust they have been questioning the Club about their governance arrangements. At the beginning of September they applied proposed “fit and proper person” test rules to the members of the Club’s board and concluded that the mystery Malaysian members who no-one has ever heard of and have probably never been to Cardiff wouldn’t pass. You would have thought that a significant proportion of the Club’s board having questionable qualifications to be board members might have stirred up a bit of interest. Well, it didn’t. It was circulated to the press who didn’t pick it up at all, it was posted on message boards where there was negligible interest and because no-one seemed to be bothered I’m not aware of a response from the Club. It was published in the first week of September 2019. At that time it didn’t get response perhaps because everything in the garden was rosy and people were more optimistic for the current season than they are now.
    Forgive my ignorance here as I know nothing about the running of a football club, why would someone who isn’t owner of the club need to pass this test? It is unlikely they are more than just a name on a paper.

We can debate what we want to see from a DoF until the cows come home, but the odds are that Messrs Tan, Dalman and Choo would think differently (I think I'm right in saying that the only public comment we've seen since our relegation on the subject from the three of them was Mehmet Dalman saying we wouldn't be appointing one).

The first thing that needs to happen is for Vincent Tan to come around to a way of thinking which says things aren't working at the club on plenty of levels, we need to do something about it. Frankly, the only way I can see that happening is through of combination which needs the first team to keep on failing like it has been doing for the first three months of the season and a perception that Neil Warnock has been wasting his money.

I feel this is unlikely to happen any time soon because it would appear that Mr Tan has a lot of time for our manager, but, if it does, then my preference would be for him to appoint someone with a working knowledge of all facets of the game to come in from outside to carry out a study into what is needed for Cardiff City to become a more efficient club in terms of administration, recruitment policy and youth development.

Unfortunately, I'd also class this as highly unlikely, whereas I can see a possibility of a decision being made to appoint a popular former player as DoF on the grounds that it would be a move which would prove popular with the fans - given that he is currently doing this job at another club, Steve McPhail seems as good a bet as anyone to me.
    Vincent Tan wouldn't need to look very far, he was until recently involved with a club in the states which have come from nothing to topping the league and playing very entertaining football. They have a dof and appear to be fully onboard with modern thinking on things like tactics and recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Forgive my ignorance here as I know nothing about the running of a football club, why would someone who isn’t owner of the club need to pass this test? It is unlikely they are more than just a name on a paper.
    My knowledge of running a football club is probably similar to yours. Here is a quote from Keith Morgan's piece on the proposed rules and how they came about.

Trust chair and football finance expert, Keith Morgan, gives his verdict on whether Cardiff City directors would pass or fail proposed new Owner and Director Tests drawn up by the Football Supporters’ Association’s (FSA) in a recent paper requested by the Football Association.

For owners, the paper proposes that anyone taking ownership of more than 25% of a club’s shares should firstly be required to pass a test proving that they have a sustainable business plan for the club and that they will appoint people to be the club’s directors that have the skills and experience to run it properly, including having satisfactory engagement with the club’s supporters and other stakeholders.

Tests for both owners and directors would involve full disclosure of any previous personal insolvency issues, failures as a director of insolvent companies, criminal convictions etc. and that any such incidences should be regarded prima facie as a bar from becoming an owner or director. There would also be a bar on owners borrowing money to buy a club but giving the lender security over club assets for that lending i.e. borrowing money personally, but leaving the burden of that lending to be met by the club.

The plain fact is that the Board appears to be a sham with 5 absentee Directors including the owner who appears to be an absolute dictator. Only 3 Directors (MD, KC and SB) seem to be in Cardiff at any time with one of them (KC) the employee of VT. KC also runs VT's luxury car business in the UK which must be a further distraction. In terms of governance of the club this does not appear to be in a healthy situation. The lack of football expertise at a senior level (including the owner) in the Club has been discussed at length on this message board. As the major decisions appear to be in the hands of the owner and, seemingly, no collective decision making, it is conceivable that someone with considerable Football experience could have undue influence.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of digging this out.
    When this paper was discussed at FSA meetings where I was present representing the Trust and other CCFC fans it was clear that the football authorities are increasingly keen to implement these tougher fit and proper tests for both owners and directors. The events at Bolton and Bury have further strengthened these views.
    The initial paper was passed by me to Ken Choo several weeks ago and he was also made well aware of my concerns about various directors who make no contribution to CCFC as a club.
    For the record my criticism did not and does not extend to Ken, Mehmet Dalman and Steve Bodley as directors

I could never support another club but right now City are like the half drunk pint you find on the shelf from last night. Flat, lifeless, lacking in taste and best thrown out. This could be the first year in decades where I don’t bother coming down as frankly what’s there to see?

Not sure how Bodley came out as Bodley in that post

It was of course referring to Steve Borley