+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ken Loach

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Heisenberg

Re: Ken Loach

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    My understanding is that EU law has helped in 3 main respects for workers...1. 28 days paid leave and a limit of 48 hrs iWork per week. 2. Guaranteed maternity leave of 14 weeks. 3. Prt time workers having same rights as full time. After Brexit its for the UK to decide which ir=f any of these to keep. But...Uk legislation already allows for 5 weeks plus 3 days annual paid leave a year ( inc public holidays), and 52 week maternity leave a year..both of which are much better than the EU....so why is Corbyn making such an issue about it when UK law seems OK
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 14 weeks maternity leave in the EU v 52 weeks leave in the UK you've spoken about is missing some key points (I think).

I had a daughter not too long ago and I seem to remember that you're entitled to 14 weeks paid maternity leave in the UK (which was brought in by the EU) - the 52 weeks leave in the UK is based on the employer's discretion to how much paid leave you get (after the 14 weeks mandatory leave). In my experience, my partner had 9 months maternity leave, 14 weeks on full pay and the rest was on half her salary - as per her contract.

With that in mind, I hope you can see the confusion.

Re: Ken Loach

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 14 weeks maternity leave in the EU v 52 weeks leave in the UK you've spoken about is missing some key points (I think).

I had a daughter not too long ago and I seem to remember that you're entitled to 14 weeks paid maternity leave in the UK (which was brought in by the EU) - the 52 weeks leave in the UK is based on the employer's discretion to how much paid leave you get (after the 14 weeks mandatory leave). In my experience, my partner had 9 months maternity leave, 14 weeks on full pay and the rest was on half her salary - as per her contract.

With that in mind, I hope you can see the confusion.
    Good point. With that in mind I had a look at eU regulations and the rules state14 weeks of which 2 weeks is mandatory. This suggests that the other 12 weeks are optional, so I looked at a country by country listing and that does seem to be the case.

It seems that despite people going on about it the EU rules are pretty flexible and amongst individual countries the UK is one of the better ones.