+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jewish group walks away from Labour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Jewish group walks away from Labour

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I didn't say that. As you know.

I have always acknowledged that there are anti-semites and anti-semitic incidents or social media messages coming from Labour Party members. However I have also made clear my view (supported by the evidence - which you consistently ignore) that Labour has less of a problem with anti-semitism than other parties; support for anti-semitic views is decreasing amongst Labour supporters (not true of other parties); Labour has conducted a full internal investigation, changed its disciplinary processes and initiated a member education programme. It is also fully co-operating with the referral to the EHRC. Fewer than 400 members out of 550,000 have been charged with anti-semitism - and in some of those cases the charge was subsequently changed to 'bringing the party into disrepute' because the original charge was nonsense. A large number of anti-Zionist Jewish members have been charged.

I condemn the real incidents of anti-semitic hate or abuse (and there are too many of them - one is too many) but in many cases the allegations are cynical and dishonest. They have been rolled out as a weapon in the Labour civil war - the majority of the PLP and their media fans against Corbyn - and to silence criticism of the political ideology and actions of the Israeli state.

You are happy to perpetuate this and give it an extra spin when you can. You never respond to the details or the evidence around these allegations. You continue to drop anti-semitic tropes into your rants. You dismiss or downplay racism against people other than Jews. Your support for discriminatory and murderous actions by Israel against Palestinian civilians is no surprise. Israel has adopted apartheid - in practice since the early years of the state and in law since 2018. It is consistently breaching international law and by stealing more and more arab land making the two state solution to the conflict impossible. There are certainly elements of liberal democracy in Israel (as there were in apartheid South Africa) but that is only part of the story. I would rather live in Israel (where parts of the press and civil society are more open and honest than in the UK) than Saudi Arabia or Iran - but don't pretend that arab Palestinians or arab Israeli citizens have equal rights; they don't.

And set against the British Labour Party in this election are other parties who have not been subjected to forensic examination of their record and views. You have argued for a Tory vote to 'get Brexit done' but seem unconcerned that the Tories are riddled with more racism than any other major party (excluding Brexit and UKIP). I'm not sure that many would agree with you that anti-semitism, islamophobia and the racism that led to the Windrush scandal is a price worth paying to see the Tories in government again.

You entirely miss the point, and have done from the outset.
    We would disagree about the level of anti semitism in labour, but the point is that labour are now perceived by a great many independent voters, Jewish people generally and a concerned international audience as dangerously anti Semitic and the question is whether that is something they can get over in this and future elections .

Re: Jewish group walks away from Labour

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    You entirely miss the point, and have done from the outset.
    We would disagree about the level of anti semitism in labour, but the point is that labour are now perceived by a great many independent voters, Jewish people generally and a concerned international audience as dangerously anti Semitic and the question is whether that is something they can get over in this and future elections .
    I haven't missed that point. I agree that is the perception. It isn't the only 'point' you have made in this and other threads, though.