+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still wide open

Still wide open

Every journey starts from where you happen to be.
    By a combination of lucky factors we're not in a bad position at all, and we happen to be in a pretty good place to start a new journey from.

After all the tribulations ,we're only two points behind the "mighty" Fulham with all their sunshine football and artistic midfield antics.

I think we're seven points off the top place ,and as luck would have it all the top teams continue to be inconsistent .

If we could win the next three games, ( and they're all winnable), we could find ourselves at or near the top within a fortnight or so.

Will that happen ? I don't know , but I do know that we have some very good players and perhaps the most experienced and knowledgable manager in the league, and that we're capable of doing much much better than we have so far.

Sometimes it's a question of recognising a target and achieving it, and maybe this is such a time

Re: Still wide open

Of the teams we've played so far only West Brom have looked a class above and that was only in spells. This looks the most even & open Championship for years.

If we continue to play the same way were odds on for mid-table but a spark and a few wins we could be right in the play-off mix. Honestly !!!

I think Sunday will be a big indicator to where we're heading. We hit a nadir against the Jacks, somehow scrambled a bit of redemption yesterday and if (?) we can get a win against the carrot crunchers we'll really be in a great position, at last, to push on. Alternatively, and probably more likely, it could all go wrong again 😌

Quote Originally Posted by Madassa View Post
    I think Sunday will be a big indicator to where we're heading. We hit a nadir against the Jacks, somehow scrambled a bit of redemption yesterday and if (?) we can get a win against the carrot crunchers we'll really be in a great position, at last, to push on. Alternatively, and probably more likely, it could all go wrong again 😌
    We are going to beat the jacks who finished 10 points above us in the playoff final. You heard it here first.

If we win our next 10 games we get up to around the average 2 points/game mark usually considered the level needed for auto.

That's a huge ask and realistically the best we can look forward to this season is a shot at the play-offs.

I'm still enjoying going to games knowing that we have the ability to compete once we click, but my interest this season now is in wondering whether we can improve, rather than any expectation that we're going to be in with a shout of another promotion.

It is wide open.
    Wasn’t even that impressed with West Brom.

However it’s going to take a massive effort and improvement for us to get the consistency and results required to challenge for the top 2 because it’s more than likely a couple of teams above us will start to string a run of results together at some point.

Top 6 though, I think that’s going to be in our sights for a while even with a reasonable run of results

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    If we continue to play the same way were odds on for mid-table but a spark and a few wins we could be right in the play-off mix. Honestly !!!
    City have been involved in two of the strangest games I've ever witnessed already this season: the 3-0 victory over QPR and yesterday's astonishing 4-2 win - not only the wettest game I've ever been at but also one of the weirdest. Those victories look much, much better on paper than they were in reality.

Warnock's mob regularly manage to drag the opposition into physical battles and their strengths come to the fore in such situations, but they look way behind most sides at this level in terms of genuine ability and that's guaranteed to hamper them in the long run. Personally, I'll be amazed if they finish in the top ten.

Yesterday was great entertainment and the points were welcome but I wouldn't read much into the result, particularly as Birmingham are no great shakes either.

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Of the teams we've played so far only West Brom have looked a class above and that was only in spells. This looks the most even & open Championship for years.

Yep. As a Reading fan I have absolutely not given up on the play offs yet. The gap between top and bottom is smaller than ever this season. It’s why I have been surprised at some of the comments on here. Cardiff are very much in the mix.
    Look at the teams near the top. They are bang average.
    All to play for.

Yes well I may be being too optimistic but I think if we could finally put it together and get full points from the next three games then it's possible that a whole new attitude and confidence might result.
    I've often thought this season that we're nearly a good team if we could only get all the areas of play right in the same game !

Yeah we’ll win 3 more games on the bounce and nobody above us will pick up a point.

Even after winning a few games on the bounce we could sit around 10th.

Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Yes well I may be being too optimistic but I think if we could finally put it together and get full points from the next three games then it's possible that a whole new attitude and confidence might result.
    I've often thought this season that we're nearly a good team if we could only get all the areas of play right in the same game !
    Yes the relatively small gap between us and the rest, and how inconsistent we are speaks volumes.

Think your right we nearly a good team, need of wins , and a few decent loan signings in
    January

Camarrassa seems eminently possible if the circumstances remain right, which is the only reason I'm a bit concerned about the threatened transfer ban.
    If it's possible within the rules I'd also like to recall Reid and put him permanently in the U23's with Craig Bellamy as his personal trainer.

We'll beat a lot of clubs simply because we're bigger, stronger, and more physical. The teams we'll lose to are the ones who are quicker and more clever. If we tighten up the defence (Morrison out?), add a bit of pace, and find someone who can pass the ball, some of those games become winnable. We're probably too far back for a two top place, but the play-offs are do-able. I think.

We can play if need. Like we did at old Trafford just a few months ago, we didn’t have Arter or cam that day and gunners is no better than pack.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    We'll beat a lot of clubs simply because we're bigger, stronger, and more physical. The teams we'll lose to are the ones who are quicker and more clever. If we tighten up the defence (Morrison out?), add a bit of pace, and find someone who can pass the ball, some of those games become winnable. We're probably too far back for a two top place, but the play-offs are do-able. I think.
    I don't disagree with any of that. However, I don't feel that we're playing as well as we can overall. There have been fleeting moments, but not enough to make me think that we're capable of going on a good run. Our greatest consistency is that we've been average and inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I don't disagree with any of that. However, I don't feel that we're playing as well as we can overall. There have been fleeting moments, but not enough to make me think that we're capable of going on a good run. Our greatest consistency is that we've been average and inconsistent.
    When have we played well this season? I thought we did on Saturday after a truly horrendous first half an hour, we did pretty well at Hull and Millwall and Huddersfield weren't bad, but we need more than one properly convincing performance out of fifteen to start believing we are genuine top six material.

Preston are now top, and how good are they? No stand out teams (despite what oour chums down West think!) . Any team can beat any other team. I was interested too hear Malcolm Allen on Call Rob after the game on Saturday. He reckons we will finish above Swansea, and said that teams who have a bad start can go on a run and finish well. I hope that's us. we have had a bad start but are only 7 points off top so let's hope.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    When have we played well this season? I thought we did on Saturday after a truly horrendous first half an hour, we did pretty well at Hull and Millwall and Huddersfield weren't bad, but we need more than one properly convincing performance out of fifteen to start believing we are genuine top six material.
    Indeed. I can see some being hopeful that we can go on a good run, but it's driven by hopeful optimism rather than looking at the actual picture.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Preston are now top, and how good are they? No stand out teams (despite what oour chums down West think!) . Any team can beat any other team. I was interested too hear Malcolm Allen on Call Rob after the game on Saturday. He reckons we will finish above Swansea, and said that teams who have a bad start can go on a run and finish well. I hope that's us. we have had a bad start but are only 7 points off top so let's hope.
    West Brom are above them, but I get your point.

A win on Sunday would be huge and leave us on a high going into the international break, the two tough away games following that will be a good indicator on where we end up

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Yep. As a Reading fan I have absolutely not given up on the play offs yet. The gap between top and bottom is smaller than ever this season. It’s why I have been surprised at some of the comments on here. Cardiff are very much in the mix.
    Look at the teams near the top. They are bang average.
    All to play for.
    Why do you come on here Pearcey? I know you've been here for a long time and I'm all for you being here, but why come on a Cardiff board?

The question is purely out of interest and no more!

At no point this season have we looked good enough to mount a promotion challenge.
    We are a classic example of a mid table team

Lots of optimism about stringing together a run of wins which seem to ignore:
    - that other teams above us will also pick up points
    - our injuries and suspensions
    - the team is not playing well with any consistency
    As for getting Camarasa in January - I’d like nothing more, but does anyone see that as realistic?
    Last edited by The Hooded Claw; 05-11-19 at 16:41. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    At no point this season have we looked good enough to mount a promotion challenge.
    We are a classic example of a mid table team
    I think there’s a few like us though, bit of a strange one so far. It’s always churned out that anybody can beat anybody in the Championship, this season is taking that a step further, the perfect example being Swansea 0 Stoke 1. If it carries on like this the last couple of months of the season could be a hell of a dogfight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw View Post
    Lots of optimism about stringing together a run of wins which seem to ignore:
    - that other teams above us will also pick up points
    - our injuries and suspensions
    - the team is not playing well with any consistency
    As for getting Camarasa in January - I’d like nothing more, but does anyone see that as realistic?
    It might be realistic, but unless we have someone decent up front, I feel we're pissing in the wind a bit with our midfield. Part of the problem is that Warnock is a manager who likes and demands his players win their own battles. Man marking all over the field, look at set pieces where there's not a lot of movement, little quick darts to find some space. Look at the goals from Saturday. The two corners in the first half - one player making a move to draw a defender, the rest standing around waiting for the ball. It's all a bit static at both ends of the field. It does work to a point but there's no cuteness to it. Clever players like Camarasa are almost wasted in a team like ours.