+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spurs v Sheff Utd VAR (and Burnley as well)

Spurs v Sheff Utd VAR (and Burnley as well)

Imagine there’ll be huge debate about the Sheff Utd disallowed goal. Whoever was drawing the lines must have been pissed. In my opinion it wasn’t offside. Feel for Sheff Utd - they’ve been much the better team

They need to change VAR for offsides

Two already this afternoon that have ruled out goals for Burnley and Sheff Utd, both by mm's (and for the Burnley one they appear to have drawn the line after the ball was kicked, not as it was kicked).

Linesmen have not made clear and obvious errors by not giving them, so I don't think VAR should scrutinise at all, just glance that linesmen have not made a glaring mistake and then let the goal stand.

Re: They need to change VAR for offsides

I got no issue with goals being ruled out for offside. I do agree though its not in keeping with what VAR is supposed to be in terms of being clear and obvious.

Something needs to change because it does appear fair that offsides are punished more.

Re: Spurs v Sheff Utd VAR (and Burnley as well)

Fair play to Sheffield United, unlike us, they’re giving it a right go at the right time of the season. Get the points in the bank now as a cushion for the, perhaps, rockier times ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Fair play to Sheffield United, unlike us, they’re giving it a right go at the right time of the season. Get the points in the bank now as a cushion for the, perhaps, rockier times ahead.
    Quite right.
    We just allowed the top teams to turn us over without so much of a fight. Pathetic really.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Imagine there’ll be huge debate about the Sheff Utd disallowed goal. Whoever was drawing the lines must have been pissed. In my opinion it wasn’t offside. Feel for Sheff Utd - they’ve been much the better team
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B4pvGCwA...=1jymooi15i9b2

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Quite right.
    We just allowed the top teams to turn us over without so much of a fight. Pathetic really.
    Too true, with a load of games to go you can afford to have a bit of a bash at it, it’s a bit late around March/April..

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    a bullshit decision. as was the Burnley one.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    Dear God, his right fist, talk about splitting hairs!

Sheff Utd are 5th as it stands.

If Leicester beat Arsenal (and I hope they do) Blades will be one place behind Man City!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    a bullshit decision. as was the Burnley one.
    I posted it as it looks off, I read the thread and people seem to think it was a bad call. I saw it flicking through Instagram so posted it to add to the debate. I’ve not seen the incident to make my own judgement.

you give the striker the benefit of the doubt there. The lino didn't make a clear and obvious error by not flagging.

Sheff Utd are 5th as it stands.

If Leicester beat Arsenal (and I hope they do) Blades will be one place behind Man City!
    Good to see, the top of the Prem needs a shake up.

It's tricky though isn't it, if you're going to have VAR these decisions will be made because there can't be a common sense rule applied because one person's common sense is different to another so it wouldn't be fair. So it's all or nothing, at the mo I'm siding with nothing

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    It's tricky though isn't it, if you're going to have VAR these decisions will be made because there can't be a common sense rule applied because one person's common sense is different to another so it wouldn't be fair. So it's all or nothing, at the mo I'm siding with nothing
    I was against VAR Delmi because I thought it would nip in the bud the thing we all love, debating, disagreeing, arguing & coming to blows after the match over decisions we’d just witnessed. How wrong was I 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    I’d be ok with it if it was binary, but it’s not. It looks like the system relies on a guy looking at a screen and drawing some lines between 2 points. From what I could see on the Sheff Utd one he drew a line from the Spurs players knee to the Sheff guys toes, but to my eyes the Spurs guys shoulder was nearer the goal than his knee. To compound it, it appeared that the VAR ref drew a diagonal line from toe to foot 😂

It’s bullshit. It should be infallible but it’s open to the human error of the VAR ref.

I’m with Mike - clear and obvious error or it’s a goal

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I’d be ok with it if it was binary, but it’s not. It looks like the system relies on a guy looking at a screen and drawing some lines between 2 points. From what I could see on the Sheff Utd one he drew a line from the Spurs players knee to the Sheff guys toes, but to my eyes the Spurs guys shoulder was nearer the goal than his knee. To compound it, it appeared that the VAR ref drew a diagonal line from toe to foot ��

It’s bullshit. It should be infallible but it’s open to the human error of the VAR ref.

I’m with Mike - clear and obvious error or it’s a goal
    fair point, and I agree with you and Mike on that

It’s probably been discussed over and over but how the feck is he classed as offside when only his hand is in an offside position?
    You can’t score or control the ball with your hand.

Two already this afternoon that have ruled out goals for Burnley and Sheff Utd, both by mm's (and for the Burnley one they appear to have drawn the line after the ball was kicked, not as it was kicked).

Linesmen have not made clear and obvious errors by not giving them, so I don't think VAR should scrutinise at all, just glance that linesmen have not made a glaring mistake and then let the goal stand.
    Do you dare to suggest that the better teams get the decisions... aka a conspiracy?

I say No way josè, that will only bring vitriol and ridicule upon oneself on here!

Seriously though, its all feckin corrupt nqat

Disclaimer: Not seen any of the incidents in question

VAR. Loved by the managers and the TV companies [who helped bring it in], and despised by the supporters..

VAR didn't think this was a foul in the Leicester v Arsenal game

VAR didn't think this was a foul in the Leicester v Arsenal game

A foul given everywhere else on the pitch as well.
    It’s so fecking inconsistent.
    Get rid of it.

Speaking of the Leicester game, a beautifully worked goal for Vardy.
    1-0

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    A foul given everywhere else on the pitch as well.
    It’s so fecking inconsistent.
    Get rid of it.
    This is what gets me, thats a foul all over the pitch yet in the box it has to be a murder.

On the whole, I like VAR. These offsides are getting ridiculous though, the linesman and the ref both gave the goal. Even with the benefit of VAR, the offside is not clear and obvious. In the end it's the ref's decision and I don't think there was enough to take the first Sheffield goal away. Also, the offside rule needs to be tweaked. As it is, fatty could be standing behind skinny and still be offside.