+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Two derby defeats in a fortnight as Cardiff City remain mired in mid table mediocrity.

  1. #1

    Two derby defeats in a fortnight as Cardiff City remain mired in mid table mediocrity.


  2. #2

    Re: Two derby defeats in a fortnight as Cardiff City remain mired in mid table mediocrity.

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As usual. A great summary.
    As you said Hoilett stood out as a our best player. Beyond him it’s fair to say that Peltier, Nelson, Bacuna, Etheridge* and Bennet did what was expected of them most of the time but no more. Neither Tomlin nor Pack asserted themselves. Bogle was very disappointing as was Mendez Laing. Flint is a ball stopper most of the time but too often not at the critical moment. Again adding nothing else to the team.

    * I haven’t looked back at the gaol so I’ll take your word for it.

    How we continue to play with a midfield that is winger based is beyond me given the poor distribution they receive, the lack of other players running to support them, and the limited skills that NML, Whyte and Murphy most often display.

  3. #3

    Re: Two derby defeats in a fortnight as Cardiff City remain mired in mid table mediocrity.

    I think it's telling that you didn't mention Marlon Pack in your report, Paul. To me, he looks very ordinary by Championship standards - nowhere near as good as he was described when Warnock signed him. He didn't play badly yesterday, but he didn't play well either.

    City attempted to play more genuine football than I've seen from them in a good while, but the problem is they're not very good at it. To me, Bristol looked mediocre at best. Unlike most of the sides City have played in recent months, they didn't have a single player who stood out. They were there for the taking. Nevertheless, Cardiff were unable to do anything about it.

  4. #4

    Re: Two derby defeats in a fortnight as Cardiff City remain mired in mid table mediocrity.

    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEAWAY View Post
    As usual. A great summary.
    As you said Hoilett stood out as a our best player. Beyond him it’s fair to say that Peltier, Nelson, Bacuna, Etheridge* and Bennet did what was expected of them most of the time but no more. Neither Tomlin nor Pack asserted themselves. Bogle was very disappointing as was Mendez Laing. Flint is a ball stopper most of the time but too often not at the critical moment. Again adding nothing else to the team.

    * I haven’t looked back at the gaol so I’ll take your word for it.

    How we continue to play with a midfield that is winger based is beyond me given the poor distribution they receive, the lack of other players running to support them, and the limited skills that NML, Whyte and Murphy most often display.
    I think thatís harsh on Pack. I actually thought he had his best game for us yesterday, tried to get the ball down at every possible opportunity to play and pick a pass. He also offered a decent physical presence in the centre of midfield, he just lacks any pace. It wasnít his fault that when he tried to get his head up, there was next to any movement ahead of him and at times you could see his frustration.

    Flint is a statue. Decent for blocks, but for such a big bloke he surprisingly lacks physicality, is scared shitless when people run at him and has a tendency to get too tight to an attacker and turned easily. Thatís without mentioning his distribution! Just feels like £6m down the shitter and money we could have used in other areas. Middlesbrough must be pissing themselves.

    I also thought Nelson had a decent game, and seems to be fairly composed on the ball and willing to bring it out when he needs to rather than just hitting long balls aimlessly.

  5. #5

    Re: Two derby defeats in a fortnight as Cardiff City remain mired in mid table mediocrity.

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    We miss Bamba - whose pointing and shouting and gesticulating for 90 minutes means we invariably stay alert at the back for the whole match. We missed Ralls because he has the energy needed at this level which neither Tomlin or Pack possess. And yes, 2 wingers who hog the touchline and rarely get involved in anything within 10ft of the touchline, are an absolute luxury. Hoillet perhaps not so, but NML does something constructive around 1 in 10 touches.

  6. #6

    Re: Two derby defeats in a fortnight as Cardiff City remain mired in mid table mediocrity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stavross1927 View Post
    I think that’s harsh on Pack. I actually thought he had his best game for us yesterday, tried to get the ball down at every possible opportunity to play and pick a pass. He also offered a decent physical presence in the centre of midfield, he just lacks any pace. It wasn’t his fault that when he tried to get his head up, there was next to any movement ahead of him and at times you could see his frustration.

    Flint is a statue. Decent for blocks, but for such a big bloke he surprisingly lacks physicality, is scared shitless when people run at him and has a tendency to get too tight to an attacker and turned easily. That’s without mentioning his distribution! Just feels like £6m down the shitter and money we could have used in other areas. Middlesbrough must be pissing themselves.

    I also thought Nelson had a decent game, and seems to be fairly composed on the ball and willing to bring it out when he needs to rather than just hitting long balls aimlessly.
    Like you, I thought Pack was one of our better players yesterday, but I agree with you as well about his lack of pace - he brings good things to our midfield, but there's a need for someone with him who can provide the tempo that he cannot. He's an improvement on what we had in central midfield at the star tof the season, but given that we've brought in three central midfielders for combined fees of over £10 million since January and that you could definitely argue that Joe Ralls is our most complete player in that area, it reflects poorly on our manager.

  7. #7

    Re: Two derby defeats in a fortnight as Cardiff City remain mired in mid table mediocrity.

    Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    We miss Bamba - whose pointing and shouting and gesticulating for 90 minutes means we invariably stay alert at the back for the whole match. We missed Ralls because he has the energy needed at this level which neither Tomlin or Pack possess. And yes, 2 wingers who hog the touchline and rarely get involved in anything within 10ft of the touchline, are an absolute luxury. Hoillet perhaps not so, but NML does something constructive around 1 in 10 touches.
    Wouldn't argue with any of that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •