+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Neil Harris - First Press Conference

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Neil Harris - First Press Conference

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    What are you expecting? A totally different approach across the board that brings about immediate success?

From all of that there is pressure to make the playoffs. Having a radical departure from what we have now isn't going to bring that. We're not going to be spending much in January, that seems clear, neither is there going to be a big clearout of players.

It seems Harris' hands are quite tied, same as anyone else coming into the job. Side made in the image of Warnock and has played largely to its strengths isn't going to ditch those strengths immediately.

We all want to see sexy football but its not going to happen overnight. Trollope tried to make too many changes to the style too quickly and so maybe a slower transition is needed.

A lot of the basic principles seem to be the same as Warnocks but he does talk about having a plan B. Something Warnock never had. Changes always like for like. Closest thing to a Plan B was throwing the centre half upfront for the last 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

We all want to see sexy football but its not going to happen overnight. Trollope tried to make too many changes to the style too quickly and so maybe a slower transition is needed.

A lot of the basic principles seem to be the same as Warnocks but he does talk about having a plan B. Something Warnock never had. Changes always like for like. Closest thing to a Plan B was throwing the centre half upfront for the last 10 minutes.
    Agreed. We might even have a striker whose job is to get into the positions to score goals, full backs to compliment wingers and less of the standing off the opposition and giving them all of the ball. Little things that we can do straight away.

Wonderful.

Best of luck to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Agreed. We might even have a striker whose job is to get into the positions to score goals, full backs to compliment wingers and less of the standing off the opposition and giving them all of the ball. Little things that we can do straight away.
    I hope so. He talks about pressing the opposition high up the pitch so we will see. Fresh face, fresh ideas. Even if those ideas are not a million miles away from the previous manager then just having a fresh face implement them, change of training.etc it will hopefully giver the lads a lift, especially those have been frozen out. Some unfairly.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    I hope so. He talks about pressing the opposition high up the pitch so we will see. Fresh face, fresh ideas. Even if those ideas are not a million miles away from the previous manager then just having a fresh face implement them, change of training.etc it will hopefully giver the lads a lift, especially those have been frozen out. Some unfairly.
    For me the academy is the biggest issue longer term.yer, we need to perform on the pig but I would like to see early changes at the academy.
    People have mentioned the extra costs of a category 1 academy, however, given the wasted money in the transfer Arter I would want Neil Harris to fight to get that budget

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    For me the academy is the biggest issue longer term.yer, we need to perform on the pig but I would like to see early changes at the academy.
    People have mentioned the extra costs of a category 1 academy, however, given the wasted money in the transfer Arter I would want Neil Harris to fight to get that budget
    In Neil Harris defence its not his job to be fighting for the academy budget. Hes been given the role of First Team Manager, and hes only on a 2.5 year contract. Therefore hes not been employed to overhaul the academy and see the benefits of it in 5 or 10 years.

Its up to others within the club to come up with the strategy and budget for the Academy, especially in the long term.

Harris will be judged on first team results, that is clear from his interview. There is clearly an expectation from those above him to rise up the table asap, and dare I say it, still expecting to finish in the play-offs.

He talks about creating a pathway and thats all we can ask of him at this stage and even then only if the players are good enough. I certainly hope to see more of them given a chance, especially in the cup games. Also, if this season turns into a dead rubber towards the end of the season as they did in Slade and Warnocks first seasons I certainly hope to see some given the chance then.