+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Player recruitment and development

Re: Player recruitment and development

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Didn't they all come from top-flight teams anyway?
    And?

Several players who you named in your OP come from top flight teams? or played top flight?

Or are you changing the goalposts to suit your agenda?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    And?

Several players who you named in your OP come from top flight teams? or played top flight?

Or are you changing the goalposts to suit your agenda?
    Let me ask you a question: do you think Cardiff City Football Club has been one that has recruited well and where a good percentage of players have developed significantly during the last decade or so?

Let me ask you a question: do you think Cardiff City Football Club has been one that has recruited well and where a good percentage of players have developed significantly during the last decade or so?
    Depends how you look at it. Whilst we may have not developed many young players we have been promoted twice to the Premier League in that time. So we obviously made some players better.

Every club would like to get promoted with a team full of developed players but how often is that the case? Most clubs buy their way out of this division. Thats just the way it is.

Lets cut the bullshit, this is just another of your threads with the hidden message being an attack on Vincent Tan.

Let it go mun.

Hasnt the last decade been our most successful period of at least the last 50 years. 2 promotions. Feck me weve had some luck since our recruitment and development is so bad..........or perhaps it hasnt.?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Hasnt the last decade been our most successful period of at least the last 50 years. 2 promotions. Feck me weve had some luck since our recruitment and development is so bad..........or perhaps it hasnt.?
    But we didnt do it with a 22 man squad of lads born within Cardiff postcodes and were with the club since they could walk, so its futile.

My answer to this would be that we haven't done as well with signing players for little and selling them for lots to bigger clubs (or as well with bringing players through as youngsters) since the days of Ridsdale and Hammam. That's not any agenda against Tan or Dato Chen Ghee. I think that's factually obvious.

Another interesting question might be to ask how many players we've made a profit from in recent seasons. I don't think there's many at all.

Lets cut the bullshit, this is just another of your threads with the hidden message being an attack on Vincent Tan.
    Oh yeah, that's the 'agenda', of course it is.....

As it happens, I believe Tan is largely blameless for this area of the club's operations. As often as not, he's backed his managers with reasonable sums of money. The problem is that, by and large, they've brought in players that either aren't capable of progressing past Championship level or aren't even good enough for the second tier.

It's telling that, of the players the last manager assembled last year for a tilt at the Premier League, only two are playing top flight football this season. One, who was here on loan, can't even get on Crystal Palace's bench, while the other is turning out for a side who are 17th in the French league.

Two promotions, two relegations and a distinct lack of players who have progressed after leaving the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    My answer to this would be that we haven't done as well with signing players for little and selling them for lots to bigger clubs (or as well with bringing players through as youngsters) since the days of Ridsdale and Hammam. That's not any agenda against Tan or Dato Chen Ghee. I think that's factually obvious.

Another interesting question might be to ask how many players we've made a profit from in recent seasons. I don't think there's many at all.
    You could put Ridsdale, Hammam and Warnock in the same bracket of individuals who were operating for their own self gain and not the good of the football club.

It's telling that, of the players the last manager assembled last year for a tilt at the Premier League, only two are playing top flight football this season..
    Yeah, that tends to happen when a club gets relegated after just 1 season. It was a squad made up of players who had never played in the Premier League, or those that had operated previously in the top flight, were deemed not good enough so its not that telling.

Its not like we signed a load of established Premier League players, they spent one season with Cardiff, and they are shit. The players were not good enough for that level to begin with.

Two promotions, two relegations and a distinct lack of players who have progressed after leaving the club.
    But still our 2 most successful seasons.

You dont get 2 PL promotions including a Football league Championship without some good recruitment which there has been.

What we haven't done is recruit well enough when promoted.

Yeah, that tends to happen when a club gets relegated after just 1 season.
    Like when the club was relegated after just one season in 2013/14?

Like when the club was relegated after just one season in 2013/14?
    So the recruitment in the last decade has been good then? Make your mind up.

So the recruitment in the last decade has been good then? Make your mind up.
    It's been brilliant, as clearly demonstrated by the wealth of talent in the current squad and the glorious careers of those who have flourished after spending time developing at Cardiff.

It's been brilliant, as clearly demonstrated by the wealth of talent in the current squad and the glorious careers of those who have flourished after spending time developing at Cardiff.

The current squad has players with more premier league experience than most clubs in the division.

How many Preston players have gone on to have glorious careers? Millwall?

We are what we are. A championship club with championship players.

Im sure none of our ex players flourishing at other clubs is causing sleepless nights for many a City fan.

Apart from Bobby Reid of course who even managed a goal in the week.

Im sure none of our ex players flourishing at other clubs is causing sleepless nights for many a City fan.

Apart from Bobby Reid of course who even managed a goal in the week.
    Cardiff City in poor transfer dealings and no pathway to first team shocker.

What other pearls of wisdom will the TLG share with us next.

You could put Ridsdale, Hammam and Warnock in the same bracket of individuals who were operating for their own self gain and not the good of the football club.
    Indeed. That has nothing to do with the subject being mentioned but you're spot on.

We are what we are. A championship club with championship players.
    You're so wise. I bow to your greater knowledge.

Let Preston and Millwall be the benchmark of success.

I wondered what had happened to Mats Daehli, as he was supposed to be the next Messi while he was here. Turns out he's with St Pauli in the German second division. They're in the bottom half of the table.
    He wasn't very good for us. Alot of our fans get a bit excited when a player arrives who has the ability to look up and make a pass and maybe move into space, that's not alot to ask of a player so that probably tells us all we need to know in terms of of the club developing players, especially those that can play. It's evident that City fans are prepared to let other important aspects of the game that make a good player fall by the wayside, you can't really blame them (us) because lets be honest, we don't develop players or produce well rounded footballers as is evident with the Tomlin situation, his lifestyle and attitude has cheated fans of all of the clubs he has played at while earning a very good living, yet he seems very popular because he has ability on the ball. That's evidence enough for me to say that we don't produce or develop players.

You're so wise. I bow to your greater knowledge.

Let Preston and Millwall be the benchmark of success.
    You may rise.

We could always let Leeds be the benchmark to success, after all, they’ve developed many players now playing in the PL, some of whom have had ‘glorious careers’, but where has that got them in the last 15 years exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Indeed. That has nothing to do with the subject being mentioned but you're spot on.
    In Warnocks case it has everything to do with the subject.

I’m with TLG on this.
    If we produced decent players, then other clubs would be knocking on the door trying to sign them.
    If you look at the current squad, there are a fair few there that we’d struggle to give away.

The recruitment has been fine for a pretty stable championship club, and as JRH states it has certainly been good enough to get us promoted twice.

Which clubs are the shining lights for you that succeed year after year at this level by recruiting or developing players that have gone on to be good players at a higher level?

For me it’s about the manager and style of football. Dave Jones improved players and added to their value. I wonder what he’d have done for Murphy, Reid, Whyte, Vaulks, Nelson or even Glatzel or others