+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wrexham

Wrexham

Struggling, bottom of The National league and 5 points from safety. It doesn't seem that long they were one of our rivals during the Eddie May Championship season-Correction, it was 26 years ago!-I wouldn't like to see them drift any further, not sure if they're still professional, that'll have to change if the go down.

Re: Wrexham

There but for the grace of God eh! We had a few seasons with them as our genuine Welsh rivals, they were the kingpins of the proper Welsh Cup. Always seemed to be knocking on the door for promotion back into the league, it goes to show that some ex league clubs who don’t make it back up sharpish are in danger of falling off a cliff, Torquay, York City, Chester, Southport, Boston, Gateshead, Hereford, Darlington, Kidderminster, Bradford PA have all slipped down another division (or have reincarnated after financial crises). Frightening that a few of those I’ve named were on our regular fixture list relatively recently. Hope Wrexham can wriggle out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    There but for the grace of God eh! We had a few seasons with them as our genuine Welsh rivals, they were the kingpins of the proper Welsh Cup. Always seemed to be knocking on the door for promotion back into the league, it goes to show that some ex league clubs who don’t make it back up sharpish are in danger of falling off a cliff, Torquay, York City, Chester, Southport, Boston, Gateshead, Hereford, Darlington, Kidderminster, Bradford PA have all slipped down another division (or have reincarnated after financial crises). Frightening that a few of those I’ve named were on our regular fixture list relatively recently. Hope Wrexham can wriggle out of it.
    Hartlepool, Halifax (I think Leggy got sent off there on a Tuesday night) Both of those were well established albeit struggling league clubs, newer ones like Rushden & Diamonds and Maidstone have also struggled to get back

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Chesterfield are in the relegation zone with them. I've always had a soft spot for Wrexham even though me and my mate were attacked by a group of their fans in the Welsh Cup game that was played a few days after we had beat them at their place during the 92-93 season, although it did end badly for them as while me and a few others were taking a kicking about 200 City fans entered the dispute!

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Hartlepool, Halifax (I think Leggy got sent off there on a Tuesday night) Both of those were well established albeit struggling league clubs, newer ones like Rushden & Diamonds and Maidstone have also struggled to get back
    Rushden and Diamonds, weren't they the team financed by Max Griggs, the owner of Doc Martins? I think he completely pulled the plug on the finances.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Struggling, bottom of The National league and 5 points from safety. It doesn't seem that long they were one of our rivals during the Eddie May Championship season-Correction, it was 26 years ago!-I wouldn't like to see them drift any further, not sure if they're still professional, that'll have to change if the go down.
    all the more surprising seeing as they were in last season's play offs..

They have had too many near misses in the past 6 or 7 years. A real shame to see them in this mess and hope they can pull clear.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Chesterfield are in the relegation zone with them. I've always had a soft spot for Wrexham even though me and my mate were attacked by a group of their fans in the Welsh Cup game that was played a few days after we had beat them at their place during the 92-93 season, although it did end badly for them as while me and a few others were taking a kicking about 200 City fans entered the dispute!

Remember this. 22 years ago. Was live on BBC Wales. Chesterfield should have made the final, had a goal been given when the ball crossed the line.

I remember playing Halifax Town, at the height of the fuel strike and sky sports news followed the independent travelling Halifax fans down to see if the had enough petrol to go home

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    They have had too many near misses in the past 6 or 7 years. A real shame to see them in this mess and hope they can pull clear.
    It will be sad for Welsh football if one of their four professional clubs drops from National League and then goes part time. They are the best supported Non League club and have the fan base to be a Championship team !

Looking at our fixtures from 1985 (when we went down to the third tier again but didn't come back up) until 2003.

Including league and cup (not Welsh cup), the teams we played most frequently were:

Swansea Town (29)
    Northampton Town (26)
    Blackpool, Exeter City, Scunthorpe United, Leyton Orient (including 2 as Orient) (22)
    Brentford, Leyton Orient, Rochdale, Mansfield Town (20)
    Plymouth Argyle, Wrexham (19)
    Chesterfield, Colchester United, Hartlepool United, Hereford United, Lincoln City, Peterborough United (18)

In those barren years, we faced 69 different sides in the bottom 2 divisions.

Currently 5 of those 69 are in the Premier League, 16 are in the Championship, 14 are in League 1, 16 are in League 2, 10 are in the National League while 7 of the other 8 are below that in the pyramid, with Bury having gone to the wall.

20 of those 70 sides have played in the Premier League, while 34 have played in the Championship. We've met 33 of those 34 sides in the 2nd tier since 2003.

The remaining clubs we played in the league between 1985-2003 that we haven't faced since are as follows:

Aldershot
    Barnet
    Bristol Rovers
    Bury
    Cambridge United
    Carlisle United
    Cheltenham Town
    Chester City
    Chesterfield
    Darlington
    Exeter City
    Halifax Town
    Hartlepool United
    Hereford United
    Kidderminster Harriers
    Leyton Orient
    Lincoln City
    Macclesfield Town
    Maidstone United
    Mansfield Town
    Newport County
    Northampton Town
    Notts County
    Oldham Athletic
    Oxford United
    Port Vale
    Rochdale
    Scarborough
    Shrewsbury Town
    Stockport County
    Swindon Town
    Torquay United
    Tranmere Rovers
    Wrexham
    Wycombe Wanderers
    York City

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCC3PO View Post

Remember this. 22 years ago. Was live on BBC Wales. Chesterfield should have made the final, had a goal been given when the ball crossed the line.
    BBC Wales could do with Ian Gwyn Hughes still commentating on TV. They use Simon Davies at the moment and he's dreadful.

Too much sentiment in this thread for them, F@ck em
    I hope they disappear into oblivion 4ever.
    Shit ground
    Shit fans
    Shit Journey to get there
    Do you think they'd have any love for us
    Mickey Thomas and his forged £50 notes
    Gary Bennett
    but to balance things out, Mark Hughes goal V Spain and I was there behind the goal

Eric the Half Bee.....I take my hat off to you......If i see your post I read it....How do you get the time for such statistics???!!
    Strangely enough...I never made a game at Wrexham...despite going to such exotic places as Halifax midweek (probably the most god forsaken place I have ever been....). I wish them well. I also don't really understand the animosity for Newport. In my mis-spent youth (around early sixties).....I supported City home and away when possible....But then on alternate Saturdays it was down to Somerton PArk....and in the summer...Glamorgan CCC. Ah...those were the days....

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    Eric the Half Bee.....I take my hat off to you......If i see your post I read it....How do you get the time for such statistics???!!
    Strangely enough...I never made a game at Wrexham...despite going to such exotic places as Halifax midweek (probably the most god forsaken place I have ever been....). I wish them well. I also don't really understand the animosity for Newport. In my mis-spent youth (around early sixties).....I supported City home and away when possible....But then on alternate Saturdays it was down to Somerton PArk....and in the summer...Glamorgan CCC. Ah...those were the days....
    You were lucky to have been born in the era you were. Life must have been so much simpler then, and I dare say, more enjoyable?

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Swan View Post
    This was quite straightforward. I have a spreadsheet with all of City's results on that, from memory, I copied and pasted one day when I had the shits. Think it took about 2 hours.

Last night that took about 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    You were lucky to have been born in the era you were. Life must have been so much simpler then, and I dare say, more enjoyable?
    Yes.....life was much less complicated (and enjoyable...no PC ) then.....I used to get the 1am train back from London games.....sometimes go for a fry-up in the British Rail canteen.....sometimes maybe on to a club down the docks before catching the milk train at 5am back to Porth.....I remember one time down the Docks...The Ship and Pilot.....sitting on a bench with sawdust floors....next to a black girl......Nina Simone on the jukebox....."I ain't got no Life...."...and she says to me......"They just don't understand do they....".

..ah..the memories of youth.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    This was quite straightforward. I have a spreadsheet with all of City's results on that, from memory, I copied and pasted one day when I had the shits. Think it took about 2 hours.

Last night that took about 10 minutes.
    Constipated last night Eric?