+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The oldest ground currently in the league?

The oldest ground currently in the league?

Is there a 19th century football ground in the league, playing 21st century football.
    If not which is the oldest ground?

Re: The oldest ground currently in the league?

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Is there a 19th century football ground in the league, playing 21st century football.
    If not which is the oldest ground?
    I would guess Deepdale as Preston have always played there since the league was formed in 1888. Bramall Lane another possibility.

Football first played at Bramall Lane in 1862 there’s a few grounds that have been around since the 19th century

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Football first played at Bramall Lane in 1862 there’s a few grounds that have been around since the 19th century
    Thanks for that. I had no idea it predates the football club.

Not the oldest, but the City Ground is 19th Century. Gigg Lane, Ewood Park also.

Jut off the top of my head Goodison, Anfield, Villa Park, Stamford Bridge.

Anything still around designed by....

Archibald Keir Leitch

He had a part in most of the large projects

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Anything still around designed by....

Archibald Keir Leitch

He had a part in most of the large projects
    Yes, Leitch was the ‘go to’ man for grandstands in the redevelopment of the 19th & early 20th century stadiums.

I think it would be Bramall Lane. In fact, didn't the first ever competitive football match take place there?

Mansfield Town has the oldest ground in current use. 1861.

Quote Originally Posted by Q View Post
    Mansfield Town has the oldest ground in current use. 1861.
    Look it up, not football till 1878 I think, if my memory is still working

Bramall Lane is the oldest FOOTBALL GROUND in the World, as Mr Parker stared

According to this Bramall Lane built first (but for cricket). Field Mill (Mansfield) hosted a football match before Bramall Lane.

http://tothe92.co.uk/links/oldestgrounds.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bramall_Lane

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Look it up, not football till 1878 I think, if my memory is still working

Bramall Lane is the oldest FOOTBALL GROUND in the World, as Mr Parker stared
    Can confirm for you it hasn't been for some time.

International

Yes, Leitch was the ‘go to’ man for grandstands in the redevelopment of the 19th & early 20th century stadiums.
    I think he built Villa Park and Ibrox.

International

I read somewhere that the oldest actual pitch (grass) was Northwich Victoria but that was a good few years ago

Bramall Lane built in 1855, Field Mill built in 1861 according to most sources. Cricket grounds originally, Hallam FC in Sheffield hosted the first the first competitive game apparently in 1860, Field Mill in 1861(Not Mansfield Town though, they didn’t exist until the twentieth century) & Bramall Lane in 1862. But doesn’t alter the fact that Bramall Lane existed 6 years before Field Mill.
    Field Mill also hosted the first competitive game under lights in 1930 (although there’d been experiments in the 19th century) and the first game with a fluorescent yellow ball in 1998.
    Goodison Park was the first purpose made football ground built in 1892 when Everton left Anfield.

Interestingly Rodney Parade (built in 1877) is coming in in 5th place.

Bramall Lane built in 1855, Field Mill built in 1861 according to most sources. Cricket grounds originally, Hallam FC in Sheffield hosted the first the first competitive game apparently in 1860, Field Mill in 1861(Not Mansfield Town though, they didn’t exist until the twentieth century) & Bramall Lane in 1862. But doesn’t alter the fact that Bramall Lane existed 6 years before Field Mill.
    Field Mill also hosted the first competitive game under lights in 1930 (although there’d been experiments in the 19th century) and the first game with a fluorescent yellow ball in 1998.
    Goodison Park was the first purpose made football ground built in 1892 when Everton left Anfield.
    Steve, you know the rules on here, don’t let the facts get in the way of the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Steve, you know the rules on here, don’t let the facts get in the way of the truth.
    Bored this morning Tony. Up early as usual for work but day off, Michael O’Leary’s Dad’s funeral at midday. I love a bit of football history and that filled half hour

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I read somewhere that the oldest actual pitch (grass) was Northwich Victoria but that was a good few years ago
    The old ground was sold off ages ago and has been a housing estate for years sadly. Up until then it was the oldest I football ground. They now play miles outside of the town and have gone bust and reformed if my memory serves me right.

Sheffield FC was formed 3 years before Hallam FC - and they played each other in 1860 - but Sheffield FC (the oldest football club in the world) had a number of temporary homes unlike Hallam FC which has never moved since its founding. Sheffield FC are now based in Dronfield - just outside Sheffield in NE Derbyshire - and play in the Northern Premier League Division One South East.

I'm not sure what would count as a first competitive game back then - as I think most of them were invitation games until the leagues were set up?

Just read that there was a tournament called The Youdan Cup, the first final was between Hallam FC & Sheffield FC played at Bramall Lane in 1877. Bramall Lane is also one of two venues to hold an England Test Match & an English football international, The Oval being the other. All interesting stuff, I love football history👍

Another bit of interesting football history, kind of related to the thread, is about my home town team:

The oldest senior football ground continuously used by the same club in the country (and some say the world), is York Road, home of Maidenhead United. Maidenhead played their first game there in 1871, and have never left.

Quote Originally Posted by CopenhagenBlue View Post
    Another bit of interesting football history, kind of related to the thread, is about my home town team:

The oldest senior football ground continuously used by the same club in the country (and some say the world), is York Road, home of Maidenhead United. Maidenhead played their first game there in 1871, and have never left.
    Bet the bodies are smelling a bit !!!!

What about the oldest still used stand?