+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 55 of 55

Thread: Is there a future for the labour party ?

  1. #31
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    10,111

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Andrew Fisher who resigned as Labour Policy Director before the election (his critical memo was leaked to The Times) with an interesting (and balanced!) assessment:

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...sformed-labour

  2. #32

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Do you really? I don't, they went the way an awful lot of people wanted them to when it came to Brexit, but I'd say there are millions of middle ground voters who don't believe they have a true political home these days.
    Think the Labour party's problem is their traditional old fashioned working class electorate is gone , there is a new middle ground voter to be won now from those voters who are more aspirational, they need to appeal to them in a modern way not via old fashioned policies , currently on offer and presented over the last 14 years and 4 elections, they are simply not appealing and attracting voters , something new and big has to be found in thier policy direction .

  3. #33

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Andrew Fisher who resigned as Labour Policy Director before the election (his critical memo was leaked to The Times) with an interesting (and balanced!) assessment:

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...sformed-labour
    But transformed them into what, a minority unelectable party ?

  4. #34

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Due to processes for electing new leader they'll get another public school Islington Marxist and spiral further into insignificance.
    Then a large enough number of labour MPs ( I think they need 102) to become the Opposition will split off and become the second party.
    Labour at that point will be on the fringes because there's no place for socialism any more

  5. #35

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieBird View Post
    Due to processes for electing new leader they'll get another public school Islington Marxist and spiral further into insignificance.
    Then a large enough number of labour MPs ( I think they need 102) to become the Opposition will split off and become the second party.
    Labour at that point will be on the fringes because there's no place for socialism any more
    Sadly I think your right , however if the zeal of momentum had been contained , and a decent leader had been elected with a broader view of modern life and politics, a coaltion may have been forced through ,and Brexit halted , with Boris boxed in and contained.

    Thats what narrow ideolgy achieves (failure)

    Sorry about the grammar I'm a bit thick ,according to the special ones.

  6. #36

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Can't help agreeing with this article about how the liberal left lost the 10s, as opposed to the libertarian right won them;-

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-stifle-debate

  7. #37

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Where's the lost great hope Dan Jarvis , has he been culled as well ??

  8. #38
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    10,111

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Where's the lost great hope Dan Jarvis , has he been culled as well ??
    As you ask.....

    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...byn-dan-jarvis

  9. #39

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Fresh outlook and face perhaps the man for the moment with Jess Phillips as deputy ( or is that role now dead after NEC shenanigans)

  10. #40

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Andrew Fisher who resigned as Labour Policy Director before the election (his critical memo was leaked to The Times) with an interesting (and balanced!) assessment:

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...sformed-labour
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Can't help agreeing with this article about how the liberal left lost the 10s, as opposed to the libertarian right won them;-

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-stifle-debate

    Both interesting reading, thank you. I also found these articles from Paul Mason quite good reading. They are along similar lines but with different points.

    https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...sectarian-left

    https://www.newstatesman.com/2019/12...entre-and-left

    https://www.paulmason.org/wp-content...ynism-v1.4.pdf (this one downloads a pdf I think)

  11. #41
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    10,111

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Rebecca Long-Bailey's opening pitch:

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-party-britain

  12. #42

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Rebecca Long-Bailey's opening pitch:

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-party-britain
    Why keep referring back surely a party that wants to appeal to the young new age don't want to he stuck in a mindset if coal mines and dock closures. We have moved on.

    If this type of post Thatcher message resonated surely folk would have voted for it by now?

    Key data for Labour to work on is 14 years , 4 elections and left wing policy.

  13. #43
    First Team Heathblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melmac, Aldente Nebula, Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    This woman would like to the leader
    https://vine.co/v/i0xEIb9Eg9U

  14. #44

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    A lot will depend on how the EU reacts to the leave decision. Will they play hard-ball with us to "teach us a lesson" and deter other countries who might be contemplating doing the same? On the other hand they now know we are serious and getting out asap which will mean a huge hole in their income (ok, not right away) and a possible threat to their exports to us if they start a tariff war.

    I am old enough to remember the Common Market and that seemed to work pretty well. The political union was when the rot started to set in and the money-gobbling bureaucratic monster was born. Interesting times ahead.
    Very true

  15. #45

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    This woman would like to the leader
    https://vine.co/v/i0xEIb9Eg9U
    dreadful lady,Lisa Nandy and Jess Phillips seems the best of the ladies

  16. #46

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Rebecca Long-Bailey's opening pitch:

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-party-britain
    Oh dear me ground hog day .

    " Jeremy Corbyn “10 out of 10” for his record in the party’s top job" really ?

    The Unite Union babe .

  17. #47

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Rebecca Long-Bailey's opening pitch:

    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-party-britain
    I actually feel sorry for her. She is obviously a very intelligent lady to have got where she is but she must surely have been brainwashed into Corbynism along the way.

  18. #48

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I actually feel sorry for her. She is obviously a very intelligent lady to have got where she is but she must surely have been brainwashed into Corbynism along the way.
    She is new to the party ithink she joined in 2010 , no great depth of experience in the left of politics or unions , up to 2010 she was a Healthcare Solicitor with Hill Dickinson LLP , specialized in NHS contracts ,and she is a devote catholic .

  19. #49
    First Team Heathblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melmac, Aldente Nebula, Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    5 candidates,

    1 alpha white male

    Fallout when the man gets it

  20. #50
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    10,111

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    5 candidates,

    1 alpha white male

    Fallout when the man gets it
    The Guardian opinion pages will be in meltdown. But undeniable that Labour will be embarrassed if they choose a male leader again after all the other main UK parties have selected women.

    However, I think the mood amongst members will be against any tokenism and for whoever appears to be the best candidate.

  21. #51
    First Team Heathblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melmac, Aldente Nebula, Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    The Guardian opinion pages will be in meltdown. But undeniable that Labour will be embarrassed if they choose a male leader again after all the other main UK parties have selected women.

    However, I think the mood amongst members will be against any tokenism and for whoever appears to be the best candidate.
    It should be the best candidate without identity politics, but I will have a chuckle when he does win, I know next to nothing about the 5 of them but it will be the uproar it causes 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

  22. #52

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Lisa nandy , a real scrapper

    If boris johnson keeps acting the clown and brexit goes tits up , which it will , shes the lady to see off the nasty party

  23. #53
    First Team Heathblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Melmac, Aldente Nebula, Andromeda Galaxy
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Lisa nandy , a real scrapper

    If boris johnson keeps acting the clown and brexit goes tits up , which it will , shes the lady to see off the nasty party
    Kier S seems to have it wrapped up, but he's a shandy drinking southerner with a grammar school education, although being a lawyer isn't a bad credential to be PM, there isn't a standout candidate IMO, I'm not up to speed etc. and have just had an hour or so looking at the wonder web on the candidates, I jacked my unite membership around 24 months ago so no vote for me!!, the person to see off the Tories will have to be someone presenting credible policies and not stupid freebies, we're gonna spend more than you stuff, whilst Johnson had a simple message in (Get Brexit Done) I thought that labour overplayed the NHS being sold to America line, there is so much privatisation in the NHS at the moment, this line just didn't cut it with the voters.

  24. #54
    International jon1959's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sheffield - out of Roath
    Posts
    10,111

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    There are almost 11 weeks to go and full programme of hustings before the result.

    Kier Starmer for leader and Angela Rayner for deputy are clearly strong favourites based on MP/MEP nominations and early Labour membership polling - but a lot can change in that amount of time.

  25. #55

    Re: Is there a future for the labour party ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Lisa nandy , a real scrapper

    If boris johnson keeps acting the clown and brexit goes tits up , which it will , shes the lady to see off the nasty party
    Agree her and Jess Phillip's would be my choice, they would make life very difficult for the blonde one.

    Sir Kier although intellectually tuned in and highly skilled MP , may not appeal to the core lost voters , he maybe seen as someone wanting to reverse Brexit, and being part of that elite inner London sect , that is viewed by many as being in a Labour political inner city London bubble.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •