+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is anyone else tired of the SNP?

Is anyone else tired of the SNP?

Whenever Nicola Sturgeon or her mate Ian Blackford appear on TV you know what they are going to say before they open their mouths. At least Sturgeon did have the decency to point out that because a lot of people voted for the SNP in the election it does not necessarily mean that they will vote for independence in any forthcoming referendum. I know the new Tory government seem to be quite firm in that they will refuse to allow it to happen, but now I wish that they would take a gamble and let it go ahead.

The tragedy is that the result could be another 52:48 situation which would guarantee that approx half the Scottish population would be angry and the other lot happy. This could of course be avoided if Boris set the condition that there had to be a 66% majority either way but I can already hear the howls of indignation as this was not applied to the Brexit referendum. (This was David Cameron's big mistake of course!).

Re: Is anyone else tired of the SNP?

Lots think that the powers that be did a number on the Scottish independence referendum in favour of staying in the union with fingers pointing at the Beeb as well as others, similar to how people are saying a number was done on Corbyn and the Labour party in this General Election..

Let's wait for her crown to fall ,might happen in Alex Salmonds sexual harassment case due to be heard in January.

Although she took a lot of seats it was only via 45% of the vote ,whats not to say 55% dont want independence.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Let's wait for her crown to fall ,might happen in Alex Salmonds sexual harassment case due to be heard in January.

Although she took a lot of seats it was only via 45% of the vote ,whats not to say 55% dont want independence.
    I presume she will graciously accept the result if it goes 55:45 against or even 51:49 against? However if 51:49 in favour, I suspect that that will do her nicely thank you, despite the fact that she will have alienated almost half the population. Hence my proposal of a minimum 66% majority either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I presume she will graciously accept the result if it goes 55:45 against or even 51:49 against? However if 51:49 in favour, I suspect that that will do her nicely thank you, despite the fact that she will have alienated almost half the population. Hence my proposal of a minimum 66% majority either way.
    I think that some people would have voted for her south of the border. She may be a one-trick pony policy-wise but she is more convincing in what she does compared to the party leaders south of the border. As for the Plaid Cymru chap, he seemed a mild-mannered innocuous type who was punching above his weight.

If I lived in a Scottish constituency, I would have voted SNP like a shot and would vote Leave in any independence referendum. That's a bit hypocritical of me considering I've only ever voted Plaid Cymru in council elections, but I think politics is about what is achievable and, although I'll be interested to see what happens in the next few years, I just don't think there will ever be sufficient desire for independence in Wales.

The butty party steam rollered the devolution vote through on a 555,419 to 552,698: 50.22% turnout:
    and they wanted to overturn/ignore/vote again/ insert deflection tactic required on the brexit vote.
    I think Wales should have another vote to either endorse devolution, or chuck it in the taff. The Welsh public
    have had 20 odd years to deem how valuable of adding another level of corruption to the London corruption

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    The butty party steam rollered the devolution vote through on a 555,419 to 552,698: 50.22% turnout:
    and they wanted to overturn/ignore/vote again/ insert deflection tactic required on the brexit vote.
    I think Wales should have another vote to either endorse devolution, or chuck it in the taff. The Welsh public
    have had 20 odd years to deem how valuable of adding another level of corruption to the London corruption
    We've had another referendum on devolution, and the Welsh public voted 517,132 to 297,380 to strengthen devolution

Most recent survey data I could find showed about 18% of Wales wanted to abolish the assembly, the most recent polling on independence showed 24% in favour of independence and 33% in favour of independence in the EU, so shall we have referendums on that as well?

What if they gave England a vote to leave the UK?
    I reckon they would vote to leave.
    Nationalism is what it's all about today.
    The trouble with the Welsh electorate is they think the English are happy to prop us up financially.

I think there is a great deal of difference between a referendum for devolution and a referendum for independence! The latter is far more critical and should not be considered unless there is overwhelming support from the population. Thinking about it, shouldn't all future referendums for whatever purpose have the bar set much higher than 51:49 in order to avoid similar aggro?

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    What if they gave England a vote to leave the UK?
    I reckon they would vote to leave.
    Nationalism is what it's all about today.
    The trouble with the Welsh electorate is they think the English are happy to prop us up financially.
    How would we prop ourselves up though without them or raising significant taxes, we couis see folk and businesses leaving in thier droves, the Scots do have more and better revenue generating business than us.

I do wonder sometimes if the Tories feel like jettisoning Scotland anyway ,they will never win it back , it surely would lead to thier own desire of Englishness only ??

Havingbsaid that I have windered that behind this keeping thevUK unity thing does the Royal Family play a big part in this , as thier Scottish connections and references are very significant.

I think there is a great deal of difference between a referendum for devolution and a referendum for independence! The latter is far more critical and should not be considered unless there is overwhelming support from the population. Thinking about it, shouldn't all future referendums for whatever purpose have the bar set much higher than 51:49 in order to avoid similar aggro?
    No there isn't, any referendum calling for the abolition of devolution will become a de facto independence referendum. There's no reason to have either, but someone calling for an independence referendum would have a stronger case than anyone calling for a referendum on abolishing the assembly

I'm not advocating an independence referendum, I'm just pointing out there's more support for independence than there is to abolish the assembly, we shouldn't have a referendum for either.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    No there isn't, any referendum calling for the abolition of devolution will become a de facto independence referendum. There's no reason to have either, but someone calling for an independence referendum would have a stronger case than anyone calling for a referendum on abolishing the assembly

I'm not advocating an independence referendum, I'm just pointing out there's more support for independence than there is to abolish the assembly, we shouldn't have a referendum for either.
    I don't agree. Myself and a lot of people I know never wanted devolution for Wales in the first place nor would we dream of wanting independence for Wales. So voting for the abolition of the WAG would not necessarily mean a "yes" to independence.

I don't agree. Myself and a lot of people I know never wanted devolution for Wales in the first place nor would we dream of wanting independence for Wales. So voting for the abolition of the WAG would not necessarily mean a "yes" to independence.
    Yes, that's my point. Voting to abolish the assembly would be twisted into being the "No" vote (saying no to independence), voting to keep it would be twisted into being the "Yes" vote.

There's no appetite for abolishing the assembly, so there's no point having a referendum. There's more appetite for independence, but there's still no point having a referendum.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Yes, that's my point. Voting to abolish the assembly would be twisted into being the "No" vote (saying no to independence), voting to keep it would be twisted into being the "Yes" vote.

There's no appetite for abolishing the assembly, so there's no point having a referendum. There's more appetite for independence, but there's still no point having a referendum.
    Ah ok, sorry. That wasn't how I read your first sentence. Agree re referendums - please no more for a while!

The SNP will see themselves as the biggest strategic victors of these elections. They have an aim of an independent Scotland inside the EU. Cast your minds back to the days before the election was called. A minority government with no clear path to get its new withdrawal agreement through Parliament. Suddenly out of the mist comes Braveheart and Jo Swinson's Lib Dems offering support for a General Election. Looking at the maths Labour fell in behind.

The SNP stitched naive Jo up like a kipper. She had images of 100 Lib-Dem MPs. In reality she doubled the Lib-Dem vote but got one less seat....hers.

The SNP now have an increased mandate and the joy of an Anglo-centric government south of the border where every Brexity step it takes further their aims! Anyone waiting for their Crown to fall will need Johnson to show skills of diplomacy that eluded him in the Foreign Office.

Nationalism is dangerous ,I dint buy into the theory the very same voters want independence.it a bit like Brexit , an Independence vote can cut across political allegiances.

If you watch the London Calling documentary about the Scottish referendum it seems like the Beeb done one hell of a job on the Yes vote, I knew the coverage was skewed at the time just watching it but the apparent lengths they went to protect the union was shocking and incredible.