+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Marshall & Smithies - Great Stat

Marshall & Smithies - Great Stat

I apologise if this gem of a stat has been highlighted before but here goes:

Last Saturday both goalkeepers appeared in the same match against their old teams, a game which just happened to be played on their shared birthday of 5th March.

Eat your heart out Mr Half Bee !

Re: Marshall & Smithies - Great Stat

Didn’t they also both wear the same jersey number? 25

Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Q View Post
    Didn’t they also both wear the same jersey number? 25
    Correct, with MoodyBluebird's stat already being pretty amazing, I'd say your additional info makes it unique and I defy anyone to prove me wrong in that view

With them both wearing the number 25, I wonder if they had a flutter on the total goals scored by away teams in the Highland League the other day?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    With them both wearing the number 25, I wonder if they had a flutter on the total goals scored by away teams in the Highland League the other day?
    They'd be fools not to. It's the first thing I'd think of doing.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Correct, with MoodyBluebird's stat already being pretty amazing, I'd say your additional info makes it unique and I defy anyone to prove me wrong in that view
    ��

They should both be playing for a team called Synchroni City.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Didn't goalkeepers always wear the no.1 jersey? Might not make it quite as unique as all that 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Moodybluebird View Post
    I apologise if this gem of a stat has been highlighted before but here goes:

Last Saturday both goalkeepers appeared in the same match against their old teams, a game which just happened to be played on their shared birthday of 5th March.

Eat your heart out Mr Half Bee !
    Great stuff. I'll see if there are any other occurrences of this happen and report my findings in 2076.

I'm not a follower of astrology, but I'd be intrigued to see if there are more goal-keepers of one particular zodiac 'sign'.
    March 5th is Pisces. I wonder if Pisces are more inclined to be keepers?

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    I'm not a follower of astrology, but I'd be intrigued to see if there are more goal-keepers of one particular zodiac 'sign'.
    March 5th is Pisces. I wonder if Pisces are more inclined to be keepers?
    For footballers in general, more are born September to December than May to August, but not because of astrology. Because they were the older kids in their school year group, and probably physically bigger, they were more likely to play as youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    For footballers in general, more are born September to December than May to August, but not because of astrology. Because they were the older kids in their school year group, and probably physically bigger, they were more likely to play as youngsters.
    It’s not basketball

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    It’s not basketball
    Did all the small kids at your school get into the football team?

Thought not.

In 2009, professional English youth academies (aged 16-20 years) were grossly over-represented by players with birthdates in a three-month period. Some 57% of youngsters were born in September, November or December whilst only 14% celebrated their birthday in June, July or August.

https://www.nationalfootballmuseum.c...ore-christmas/

In 2009, professional English youth academies (aged 16-20 years) were grossly over-represented by players with birthdates in a three-month period. Some 57% of youngsters were born in September, November or December whilst only 14% celebrated their birthday in June, July or August.

https://www.nationalfootballmuseum.c...ore-christmas/
    I've always wondered why I was so crap at the beautiful game 🙂

Did all the small kids at your school get into the football team?

Thought not.
    🤣🤣🤣
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-average-height-of-the-English-Premier-League-players

Giants… apologies if you’ve got a height complex

������
    https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-av...League-players

Giants… apologies if you’ve got a height complex
    I think you're missing the point here. It's not the size of them as grown adults, it's the size when they're young and getting early football experience.

Bigger kids get games (they're faster, stronger, etc), and the school year starts in September.

Same goes for professional ice hockey players in Canada/North America - covered in a fascinating book - Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Same goes for professional ice hockey players in Canada/North America - covered in a fascinating book - Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
    I read that a few months ago, though to be honest I don't remember that. I'm pretty sure I first read about this in Why England Lose by Simon Kuper and Stefan Szymanski

I think you're missing the point here. It's not the size of them as grown adults, it's the size when they're young and getting early football experience.

Bigger kids get games (they're faster, stronger, etc), and the school year starts in September.
    Fair enough

School years are different around the world

School years are different around the world
    Yes the months might be different but the theory applied that the older kids in each year were the ones that made it pro as they were bigger & stronger than the younger kids in the same year - in turn these bigger kids appeared better so had the most one to one coaching so naturally became better players