+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stephen McPhail for Director of Football?

Stephen McPhail for Director of Football?

This is quite an interesting piece on McPhail's illnesses and success with Shamrock Rovers. The DoF suggestion is just a bit of speculation by WoL - but one that sounds good to me.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...mrock-17225024

He may not be operating at a high level, and may not have ready made contacts in place across Europe and other continents, but McPhail knows and loves the club and the area, has a load of valuable experience, and he seems to be driven to succeed. Cardiff would be a step up but could be a good fit, and it would be a real step forward to have someone like him on the Board.

Re: Stephen McPhail for Director of Football?

Good shout, would be welcomed here, but I doubt it will happen.

Coming here would be a sideways move, much like when he was playing for us...
    I know people like him, but I never rated the guy myself.

I think you need a bit more experience at a higher level with contacts and experience of the league we are in and Europe .

In relation to his time with us he was superb

Great to hear the wonderful Stephen McPhail on the radio this morning talking about there forthcoming game with AC Milan .

Great to see this after seeing his life put on hold when he was diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome diagnosis, which lead to him retiring at the age of 32

I think getting the right processes in place and having a modern approach to things like recruitment and analytics would be far more important for a DoF than contacts and experience of the league. relying on contacts is a very old fashioned way to go about things.

Quote Originally Posted by tforturton View Post
    Like many.

I sometimes wonder what some people are looking for in a player .What a talent he was , possibly only surpassed by Tomlin who is an outstanding football player in my eyes . It took a lot of people a lot of time to see the benefits of Tomlin . Perhaps its the "he doesn't work hard enough " brigade.... You should be watching the guys digging the roads , they generally work quite hard .

Gosh I'm shocked at your view .

moving from shamrock rovers to a championship team a sideways move?