+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The standard of football overall...

The standard of football overall...

With the exception of Liverpool I think the standard of football in both the Prem and the Championship is poor.
    Both sides of Manchester are well below their usual standards- The Arse have been woeful and who’d have thought Wolves and Sheffield United would be where they are?
    The bottom club Watford are beating Manure- coupon’s are busted every week!!!
    Boing boing baggies look like running away with our league but everyone else looks mediocre including ourselves 😩

Re: The standard of football overall...

Man City were excellent yesterday. All 4 English teams in the CL qualified from their groups, losing just 4 games between them. I think you're being harsh. Also, as much as it pains me to say it, Wolves play some great stuff and totally deserve to be where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Padraig1968 View Post
    With the exception of Liverpool I think the standard of football in both the Prem and the Championship is poor.
    Both sides of Manchester are well below their usual standards- The Arse have been woeful and who’d have thought Wolves and Sheffield United would be where they are?
    The bottom club Watford are beating Manure- coupon’s are busted every week!!!
    Boing boing baggies look like running away with our league but everyone else looks mediocre including ourselves 😩
    I had a conversation earlier and said much the same while watching Bristol City and Wednesday.

I think it makes it all the more frustrating from a City point of view that we're in a period of transition as we could have really had a tilt at it with a settled squad that were playing well.

I also view the Premier League as being fairly ordinary. I saw it the same way the year we went down though. I don't think it would have taken much more spent in the right areas to stay in the league.

Exactly but in response to Nycblue when we got promoted what was the difference points wise between us and Wolves? 1 a couple? I don’t remember but the point is are they in transition?
    Look at them under Nuno
    Look at us now
    We’ve gone backwards at a rate of knots!!
    As for Man City they were odds on bookies favourites for the title before a ball was kicked.
    Norwich pissed the Championship last year and no they’re struggling
    I think fans expect too much

Can’t comment on the PL as I don’t watch it but I think the Championship is pretty strong. All three teams that won promotion to the Championship in Barnsley, Luton and Charlton are really struggling and I wouldn’t be surprised if all three went down.Its a hugely competitive division. West Brom look odds on to go up but I can see Leeds coming under pressure from Fulham in the second half of the season.
    Every season football fans say the Championship is weak and Norwich can be cited as an example of a team going up but now struggling as are the Villa but Sheffield Utd are fifth.

Cardiff have a shout for the play offs but would any of you be that bothered at going up? I enjoy seeing Reading play in a division where they have the chance to be competitive which simply isn’t the case in the top flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I enjoy seeing Reading play in a division where they have the chance to be competitive which simply isn’t the case in the top flight.
    You don’t think Reading could ever do what a club like Sheffield United are doing this season and others including Swansea have done in the past?

I'm falling out of love with football ,its now a corporate commercial angry driven business , that attracts the wrong behaviours of greed and no loyalty.

We see strong views and comments left by politically minded CCMB posters about the greed and selfishness of bankers , CEO's ,politicians and billionaires, I see the same in modern football .

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    You don’t think Reading could ever do what a club like Sheffield United are doing this season and others including Swansea have done in the past?
    We did it for one season with the best side we have ever had but didn’t invest the following season and paid the penalty. I am very impressed with Chris Wilder. I gather they are playing some really good football so fair play to him.
    I live in hope TLG. I would love to see us truly competitive in the top flight but it’s a big ask for a club of our size. It can be done but in the end the likes of Swansea and Charlton end up going down having bucked the odds for a number of seasons.

I’m happy with seeing us in the Championship as long as we are competitive. I don’t see many poor sides at this level. Most are organised and competitive with one or two very tidy players.

Quote Originally Posted by Padraig1968 View Post
    Exactly but in response to Nycblue when we got promoted what was the difference points wise between us and Wolves? 1 a couple? I don’t remember but the point is are they in transition?
    Look at them under Nuno
    Look at us now
    We’ve gone backwards at a rate of knots!!
    As for Man City they were odds on bookies favourites for the title before a ball was kicked.
    Norwich pissed the Championship last year and no they’re struggling
    I think fans expect too much
    Wolves had 99 points and finished 9 points ahead of us. They also had the nucleus of a squad far better equipped for top level football and their transfer business last season was of a far better standard than the shower of shite we signed. It’s not surprising they’ve kicked on.

Wolves unlike us had a plan both on and off the field. Their owners hired a good coach ( Nunes ) to implement a playing style that would be good enough not only to get promoted but to grow in the premier league then made the most of their business connections to get a football agent into the club who helped them to build a team.
    Once promoted, they strengthened further with signings like Jimenez and were ruthless enough to loan or sell players they felt were no longer good enough despite starring in the Championship like Heldur Costa and Cavellero .

They seem light years away from us now

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I live in hope TLG. I would love to see us truly competitive in the top flight but it’s a big ask for a club of our size. It can be done but in the end the likes of Swansea and Charlton end up going down having bucked the odds for a number of seasons.
    In seven seasons in the Premier League, Swansea finished 11th, 9th, 12th, 8th, 12th and 15th before eventually finishing 18th and getting relegated, but even in 2017/18 they managed to beat Liverpool and Arsenal. They were certainly competitive. That's one of the reasons why the defeatist attitude of so many City fans annoyed me last season. A good percentage were talking in terms of it being a 'bonus season' and all that claptrap almost immediately after promotion. The lack of ambition was ridiculous.

If clubs like Swansea, Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton and Watford can be competitive and comfortably hold their own at Premier League level on a consistent basis, then so could clubs like Cardiff and Reading.

Quote Originally Posted by billy.ronson View Post
    Wolves unlike us had a plan both on and off the field. Their owners hired a good coach ( Nunes ) to implement a playing style that would be good enough not only to get promoted but to grow in the premier league then made the most of their business connections to get a football agent into the club who helped them to build a team.
    Once promoted, they strengthened further with signings like Jimenez and were ruthless enough to loan or sell players they felt were no longer good enough despite starring in the Championship like Heldur Costa and Cavellero .

They seem light years away from us now
    They are light years ahead of us now. It's criminal how far backwards this club has gone and the blame lays squarely at Warnock and the boards door. Warnock for his criminal waste of money and the board for having no idea about football.