+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Harris after 10 games

Harris after 10 games

What do you make of the football being served up?

Do you see him as the man to take us forward?

This isn't negative, positive or whatever. I just want to see what others feel are happening here and what direction you see us going in.

Re: Harris after 10 games

Quote Originally Posted by blue lewj View Post

This isn't negative, positive or whatever. I just want to see what others feel are happening here and what direction you see us going in.
    Hes got a similar job to do as Slade. Get rid of about 8 players and steady the ship.

Lets hope he doesn't sign the Alex Revells of this world.

Lets see where we are after a couple of windows

Hes been given the job and deserves time.

I have seen little or no evidence to suggest that he is the man to take us forward.

Russell Slade mk II

:-(

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Hes got a similar job to do as Slade. Get rid of about 8 players and steady the ship.

Lets hope he doesn't sign the Alex Revells of this world.

Lets see where we are after a couple of windows

Hes been given the job and deserves time.
    Should he be given longer if he hasn't got money in them windows?

Rowett has taken Millwall from 18th to 6th with a Millwall squad that Harris put together.
    A team can be worked with and improved regardless of what people on here say it seems. If not, how has Rowett got a Harris team to go up 12 places?

Rowett has taken Millwall from 18th to 6th with a Millwall squad that Harris put together.
    A team can be worked with and improved regardless of what people on here say it seems. If not, how has Rowett got a Harris team to go up 12 places?
    Perhaps Harris left a group of players more suited to what the new manager wanted to do with them than what Warnock has left him here at Cardiff.

Even when Harris has been getting results youve been complaining we are not playing football even though it’s obvious he has not got the players to play an expansive style. He has tried that today and tried to play out from the back and we’ve ended up getting thumped.

Quite simply the players are not up to it. We can keep changing manager every 10 games because you are having a hissy fit that we are not playing like a Leeds or a Brentford but with this group of players we will end up with the same result.

And then bring in who? We have no money to spend and the objective is to clear the squad out.

You want Harris gone, that's obvious, so why do you trust the board to bring in someone better? The goal is the same regardless of who's in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Llandaff Blue View Post
    And then bring in who? We have no money to spend and the objective is to clear the squad out.

You want Harris gone, that's obvious, so why do you trust the board to bring in someone better? The goal is the same regardless of who's in charge.
    Russel Slade

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Even when Harris has been getting results youve been complaining we are not playing football even though it’s obvious he has not got the players to play an expansive style. He has tried that today and tried to play out from the back and we’ve ended up getting thumped.

Quite simply the players are not up to it. We can keep changing manager every 10 games because you are having a hissy fit that we are not playing like a Leeds or a Brentford but with this group of players we will end up with the same result.
    I really don’t think that is trying to play out from the back today was the reason behind the result.

I don't trust the board one bit. They're clueless. Hence the Harris appointment.
    They needed somebody with some football knowledge and have succeeded despite their lack of football knowledge. Malky taking us up was due to money being thrown at it. Any half competent manager would have done so for me.
    The club struck lucky with Warnock and it worked for the season we went up. His limitations were also laid bare when we were relegated and then earlier this season.

With regards to who should we have brought in instead of Harris. Literally anybody else from the list of possibles other than Harris I would have been happier with. He would have been my last choice out of them all.

I can give my opinion. He does deserve a chance. It still doesn't mean I can't give my opinion in that I think Harris has produced in the main some bang average football performances on the field and in many ways it is worse than what Warnock was producing. I also think we have claimed chunks of our points total under Harris on the back of some big slices of fortune. Stoke and Preston being unable to hit the target being two examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    I really don’t think that is trying to play out from the back today was the reason behind the result.
    Agreed. Most of us said this defence has no chance against pace and trickery. Today we saw clear evidence of that.

We've won four and drawn four out of ten matches under Neil Harris. A points return of sixteen points from every ten matches played would see us end up with something like 70 to 72 points which would miss out on the Play Offs most seasons, but it looks like it might be there or thereabouts this time.

I was underwhelmed by the Harris appointment, but I'm not going to turn against him because of today's result - he's inherited a squad of players that isn't really fit for purpose for the modern day Championship and their severe defensive limitations were exposed today by the sort Of bright, mobile and intelligent forwards who must lick their lips at the prospect of facing our lumbering giants.

My doubt with Neil Harris comes down to a feeling that we will end up playing more of the sort of stuff Neil Warnock had us playing - apart from trusting Lee Tomlin more, I've not seen much evidence of a change of direction yet.

Are you saying the defeat today was due to playing out from the back? It definitely wasn't that.
    The first goal was a 40 yard plus pass from almost halfway directly into our box and the third was a kick from their keeper straight to their winger.

Nobody is having a hissy fit. People are genuinely concerned about the new man and rightly so IMO. We have been getting decent results prior to today but I think many who are honest with themselves know that the performances have not been great in large parts of matches.

The formation had everything to do with it in my opinion. A formation a lot of people on here wanted to try. If I had a quid for every time Lawnmower mentioned on here and other forums about playing 3 at the back and wingbacks I could retire. The game started and we were out numbered in midfield and when we did get it we were trying to play out from the back and clearly were not comfortable doing it, turning the ball over to them easily.
    Before you know it 2-0 down and throwing caution to the wind and 3-0 down before HT. 2nd half we just capitulated.

If he’s played a defensive 4-5-1 and ground out a 0-0 hed still be getting slated. The bloke can’t win.

I don't trust the board one bit. They're clueless. Hence the Harris appointment.
    They needed somebody with some football knowledge and have succeeded despite their lack of football knowledge. Malky taking us up was due to money being thrown at it. Any half competent manager would have done so for me.
    The club struck lucky with Warnock and it worked for the season we went up. His limitations were also laid bare when we were relegated and then earlier this season.

With regards to who should we have brought in instead of Harris. Literally anybody else from the list of possibles other than Harris I would have been happier with. He would have been my last choice out of them all.

I can give my opinion. He does deserve a chance. It still doesn't mean I can't give my opinion in that I think Harris has produced in the main some bang average football performances on the field and in many ways it is worse than what Warnock was producing. I also think we have claimed chunks of our points total under Harris on the back of some big slices of fortune. Stoke and Preston being unable to hit the target being two examples.
    From the moment Warnock left the only person they wanted was Harris, I think the other name mentioned was Bowyer but he's not much of an upgrade either. People calling for him to go have no plan for what happens next or how the squad gets reshaped, it's just a case of overreacting because of a bad result.

We've needed a football man between the manager and the board since we were relegated in 2014, but Dalman for whatever reason doesn't want to employ that guy, not that I'd expect him to get the right man anyway. Until that happens we will continue on this scattergun approach to recruitment, I just want someone who isn't as careless as Warnock was when it came to spending.

I want to know what your opinion on this squad is and what you expect from Harris. Our defence is a joke and the midfield is the most limited I've seen it in years. I don't know what else can be done with this squad style wise.

Are you saying the defeat today was due to playing out from the back? It definitely wasn't that.
    The first goal was a 40 yard plus pass from almost halfway directly into our box and the third was a kick from their keeper straight to their winger.

Nobody is having a hissy fit. People are genuinely concerned about the new man and rightly so IMO. We have been getting decent results prior to today but I think many who are honest with themselves know that the performances have not been great in large parts of matches.
    As I’ve just said in my previous post the players looked uncomfortable from the off.

He’s tried something a lot of fans have been asking for and it’s crystal clear we haven’t got the players.

The third goal probably doesn’t happen if Peltier was the covering fullback and not Bacuna as the covering wingback.

Face facts. The only tune that you are going to get out of this group of players is smashing the ball forward and playing off 2nd balls. Bit of magic from Tomlin or Hoilett. Hold on for the win. But then you’re not happy that we are not passing teams off the park even though we haven’t got the players to do that.

He can’t win. No manager can with this group.

We have been unlucky with injury , jazz Richards is a quality player , Morrison is tidy at this level , bamba on his day as good as any centre half out there , we are missing ralls and Tomlin is only now getting game time

Stick with harris , the blokes only 42 , he could become a legend here

From the moment Warnock left the only person they wanted was Harris, I think the other name mentioned was Bowyer but he's not much of an upgrade either. People calling for him to go have no plan for what happens next or how the squad gets reshaped, it's just a case of overreacting because of a bad result.

We've needed a football man between the manager and the board since we were relegated in 2014, but Dalman for whatever reason doesn't want to employ that guy, not that I'd expect him to get the right man anyway. Until that happens we will continue on this scattergun approach to recruitment, I just want someone who isn't as careless as Warnock was when it came to spending.

I want to know what your opinion on this squad is and what you expect from Harris. Our defence is a joke and the midfield is the most limited I've seen it in years. I don't know what else can be done with this squad style wise.
    My reply is based on what I've seen over 10 games.

I can't see Harris moving much from this style all the time he is here which is the most frustrating thing for me. it is less likely if he has nothing to spend. I can't see it being a long period as manager as many won't stand for performances like that today (least of all Tan. When was the last time one of his managers was beaten so comprehensively?). They won't stand for it regardless of how they came about. They won't stand for them especially when the club have said they wanted to go in another direction. This for me has made Harris' job harder in many ways.

My opinion of the squad is that we can play better football if we had more of an outlook than win it and lump it forward to the wingers, striker or Tomlin and hope they produce something.
    It doesn't speak volumes of Harris in that another manager has come in to his former club, worked with his players and got them performing way and above what they were. Can we say the same of the City squad? I'm not sure we can. At times, today being an example, we have been much worse than under Warnock. We would not have conceded six today under Warnock.

As I’ve just said in my previous post the players looked uncomfortable from the off.

He’s tried something a lot of fans have been asking for and it’s crystal clear we haven’t got the players.

The third goal probably doesn’t happen if Peltier was the covering fullback and not Bacuna as the covering wingback.

Face facts. The only tune that you are going to get out of this group of players is smashing the ball forward and playing off 2nd balls. Bit of magic from Tomlin or Hoilett. Hold on for the win. But then you’re not happy that we are not passing teams off the park even though we haven’t got the players to do that.

He can’t win. No manager can with this group.
    I understand where you're coming from totally but if the board are looking for a man that can produce Warnockesque promotion charges from what they have then they only need look at what Rowett has done with a team that Harris had languishing in 18th to show they have the wrong man.

I understand where you're coming from totally but if the board are looking for a man that can produce Warnockesque promotion charges from what they have then they only need look at what Rowett has done with a team that Harris had languishing in 18th to show they have the wrong man.
    If Gary Rowett is the messiah then please explain the mess he made at Stoke?

He’s not renowned for playing the sexy football you are demanding besides winning games.

I watched them earlier. They smash the ball up to Matt Smith a lot. You’d be moaning it wasn’t a change from Warnock.

The formation had everything to do with it in my opinion. A formation a lot of people on here wanted to try. If I had a quid for every time Lawnmower mentioned on here and other forums about playing 3 at the back and wingbacks I could retire. The game started and we were out numbered in midfield and when we did get it we were trying to play out from the back and clearly were not comfortable doing it, turning the ball over to them easily.
    Before you know it 2-0 down and throwing caution to the wind and 3-0 down before HT. 2nd half we just capitulated.

If he’s played a defensive 4-5-1 and ground out a 0-0 hed still be getting slated. The bloke can’t win.
    I agree, and it became evident pretty quickly that 5 at the back wasn’t working, but that isn’t how I read your ‘playing out from the back’ post.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    We have been unlucky with injury , jazz Richards is a quality player , Morrison is tidy at this level , bamba on his day as good as any centre half out there , we are missing ralls and Tomlin is only now getting game time

Stick with harris , the blokes only 42 , he could become a legend here
    Did you see Jazz today?!! He got absolutely destroyed by the QPR left winger, SO many time!

I actually quite like Jazz as a player but he has a lot to prove still, and was abjectly useless today.

Did you see Jazz today?!! He got absolutely destroyed by the QPR left winger, SO many time!

I actually quite like Jazz as a player but he has a lot to prove still, and was abjectly useless today.
    Done well at right back since he returned but got absolutely murdered at left wing back today.

My reply is based on what I've seen over 10 games.

I can't see Harris moving much from this style all the time he is here which is the most frustrating thing for me. it is less likely if he has nothing to spend. I can't see it being a long period as manager as many won't stand for performances like that today (least of all Tan. When was the last time one of his managers was beaten so comprehensively?). They won't stand for it regardless of how they came about. They won't stand for them especially when the club have said they wanted to go in another direction. This for me has made Harris' job harder in many ways.

My opinion of the squad is that we can play better football if we had more of an outlook than win it and lump it forward to the wingers, striker or Tomlin and hope they produce something.
    It doesn't speak volumes of Harris in that another manager has come in to his former club, worked with his players and got them performing way and above what they were. Can we say the same of the City squad? I'm not sure we can. At times, today being an example, we have been much worse than under Warnock. We would not have conceded six today under Warnock.
    Watford did us 5-1, Tan isn't as reactionary as our fanbase is. I'm sure all he cares about right now is cost cutting just like in Slade's season.

Interested to know how much of Millwall you've watched. I can't speak on it because I have only seen them play us and I wasn't impressed. From what I remember of Rowett's Derby side they were awful but got results, isn't it a similar situation at Millwall where he's gone into a club that have been built to be direct and he's flourished as that's what he's good at? He's the same man who made a mess at Stoke remember, so I'll judge him in May after he's had a chance to move their squad around and bring in his own guys. Yes, fair play to the guy for taking them up the table, but it's only January.

Sorry but there is no way this squad is capable of playing any other way, they look so uncomfortable and awkward on the ball. The second goal at Wednesday was nicely worked but it went through Tomlin who's the only player capable of being incisive with the ball.