Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
I don't get the term "a frustrated Eze" at the beginning of the OP, the match was only nine minutes old at the time, so I doubt if it was frustration that made him come deep for the ball. I watched a live stream of the match and it seemed to me that we started with a back five rather than a three, but, to me, the extra defender gave our right sided member of that defence the freedom to follow QPR's left sided attacker if he dropped back into midfield and, as such, I'd blame Bacuna more than Tomlin for the first goal and Peltier for the fact that Eze was unmarked on the far post for the fourth and fifth goals, That said, I thought Tomlin was poor at QPR and when he came on against Carlisle.
Blaming Bacuna over Tomlin for this goal is a poor blame without reason. If he was in the midfield, I would agree that it would have been Bacuna’s fault for this. But Tomlin played the QPR game at Right Wing, a position which overlaps zonally with the position of left back. Eze usually demonstrates his skill by running the game for QPR and he wasn’t having any luck after being man marked by a Cardiff midfielder for the majority of that first ten minutes. Eze drops back to the halfway line and picks up the ball. Their fullback overlapped so Bacuna picked up the man. What you’ve done is blame Bacuna, a man doing his job.
As a midfielder, it may not necessarily be one’s job to consistently mark a man at the back post. However, it is your job if you fail to communicate this to the fullback as rather than leaving a free runner back post. Tomlin did not complete this task as Peltier does not pick up his man. The late runner into the box should have been followed by Tomlin as he failed to pass on his man and in both goals can be seen walking into the box as a half-arsed effort to mark the runner.