+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gender Pronouns

Gender Pronouns

I’m seeing the more than occasional emergence of the use of gender pronouns by people across both email and social platforms.

Email signatures or profile names tend to be followed with (she/her/hers) (they/them/theirs)(he/him/his).

Little but significant moves towards equality

Re: Gender Pronouns

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    I’m seeing the more than occasional emergence of the use of gender pronouns by people across both email and social platforms.

Email signatures or profile names tend to be followed with (she/her/hers) (they/them/theirs)(he/him/his).

Inane, insane and the tail wagging the dog.
    Identity politics is pushing more and more people to the right.

If that's pushing anyone to the right they were already pretty right anyway.

I've never even come across it but how is it even an issue? It takes literally zero effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Would you Adam and Eve it?

I couldnt care less how people would like to be addressed - letting me know in advance saves any potential awkwardness and embarrassment.

Have never heard of this, but if that's how they want to be referred to then it's no skin off my nose. If someone is called John Smith but they like to use their middle name of Bob, you'd do it. It's not like we don't have enough other problems to get worked up about!

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Have never heard of this, but if that's how they want to be referred to then it's no skin off my nose. If someone is called John Smith but they like to use their middle name of Bob, you'd do it. It's not like we don't have enough other problems to get worked up about!
    Brian Clough insisted on referring to Teddy Sheringham as Edward, because that's what it said on his birth certificate. Yet bizarrely, Shezza wasn't offended by it in the slightest, even though he went by the name of Teddy.

if you get upset because someone mis genders you, then you're a knob. there are many problems in the world, being called he/she instead of they isn't one of them

It’s only polite to call somebody how they wish.
    I recognise Kelly Maloney as Kelly Maloney.

It’s the ze/them/they (or whatever is used for the apparent 72 genders) that irk me.

Language and Science tossed out of the window to accommodate a minute minority.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    Brian Clough insisted on referring to Teddy Sheringham as Edward, because that's what it said on his birth certificate. Yet bizarrely, Shezza wasn't offended by it in the slightest, even though he went by the name of Teddy.

if you get upset because someone mis genders you, then you're a knob. there are many problems in the world, being called he/she instead of they isn't one of them
    Bit of a difference there, mate.

Anyway, if I was to misgender someone and they took offence then I would apologise and tell them that it wasn't my intention. If I misgendered them again on purpose then I'd be the knob.

How hard is it to be civil with someone? I've spoken to a few people about the pronoun stuff and I don't fully understand it, but I don't have to. If someone wants to be referred to as "her" and you purposely refer to them as "him" then there's something wrong with you.

Heisenberg

It’s the ze/them/they (or whatever is used for the apparent 72 genders) that irk me.

Languague is constantly changing to accommodate inclusion in society... or do you still refer to black people as "coloured" (or "colored" where you're from)?

Why does it irk you? It literally has no affect on you personally and can make someone else feel much better with 0 effort.

What part of language and science are tossed out the window? What is your background in language/science that puts you in a position to make that judgement?

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Languague is constantly changing to accommodate inclusion in society... or do you still refer to black people as "coloured" (or "colored" where you're from)?
    Not many people use thee and thy these days....

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Not many people use thee and thy these days....
    Or spell "language" as "languague"

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Language does certainly change to reflect society.
    I moved to London in the early 90’s and said the word “coloured” in a discussion.
    I didn’t know any better and thought it more polite at the time than the term “black”.
    I was blasted by a black lady for using that word and haven’t used it since.
    Although “person of colour” seems acceptable now.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Why does it irk you? It literally has no affect on you personally and can make someone else feel much better with 0 effort.

What part of language and science are tossed out the window? What is your background in language/science that puts you in a position to make that judgement?
    It is all part of the prism of intersectionality that offends me.
    I guess the World is changing at too rapid a pace for my meager brain to keep up with.

I have zero back ground in either The language or science fields...does that render me incapable of having an opinion?

Do you have a background in these fields?

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post

Absolutely. Civility costs nothing.

I’ve got nothing against it as it doesn’t impact my life in the slightest, for those that do, I wonder how it impacts theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    Absolutely. Civility costs nothing.

I’ve got nothing against it as it doesn’t impact my life in the slightest, for those that do, I wonder how it impacts theirs?
    It doesn't but a lot of a certain type of demographic are extremely sensitive to any changes that don't fit in with how they think things should be

Does anyone know if there is any pressure to change Latin languages that 'convert' feminine nouns to masculine nouns when a collection of both are present? e.g. hermano + hermana =hermanos.

It is all part of the prism of intersectionality that offends me.
    I guess the World is changing at too rapid a pace for my meager brain to keep up with.

I have zero back ground in either The language or science fields...does that render me incapable of having an opinion?

Do you have a background in these fields?
    Yeah I have studied 3 languages to quite high levels and have two science degrees and I can tell you you’re taking an incorrect and simplistic view of both.

I don’t think it makes you incapable of having an opinion, I’d just expect some kind of knowledge of a subject when having such a strong opinion on it.

Why does it offend you so much? Surely being civil to what is a very small minority of society to vastly improve how they feel while having no real adverse affect on your life is a good thing.

Heisenberg

Language does certainly change to reflect society.
    I moved to London in the early 90’s and said the word “coloured” in a discussion.
    I didn’t know any better and thought it more polite at the time than the term “black”.
    I was blasted by a black lady for using that word and haven’t used it since.
    Although “person of colour” seems acceptable now.
    Can't the same logic you've posted there be applied to the topic of this thread? If not, I'd ask why that's the case?

Christ 😂

If common decency pushes you to the right, you were already there to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post

More evidence of the "you should put up with whatever someone says to you and if you don't like it, it's your fault for not liking it" brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Yeah I have studied 3 languages to quite high levels and have two science degrees and I can tell you you’re taking an incorrect and simplistic view of both.

I don’t think it makes you incapable of having an opinion, I’d just expect some kind of knowledge of a subject when having such a strong opinion on it.

Why does it offend you so much? Surely being civil to what is a very small minority of society to vastly improve how they feel while having no real adverse affect on your life is a good thing.
    As you said, it’s a very small minority of the population and it costs nothing to address somebody by their requested pronoun.
    Which I of course would do.

The offense to me as I have said, is that it is part of the wIder intersectionality prism that is being driven by “a certain type of demographic” that is pushing for change at a pace beyond what a large amount of people are comfortable with.

I’m glad you are here to enlighten with such credentials.
    For a starter...I’d be interested to know how to pronounce “Womxn” correctly as I’d hate to cause offense.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    If common decency pushes you to the right, you were already there to begin with
    I do genuinely believe that the explosion over the last few years of SJW’s and apparent left narratives in the media has pushed centrist people to the right.

I do genuinely believe that the explosion over the last few years of SJW’s and apparent left narratives in the media has pushed centrist people to the right.
    Please tell me about these apparent left narratives in the media.