+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ground hopping philosophy

Ground hopping philosophy

Recently, I worked out how many grounds I've visited but listed them as clubs (or international teams) rather than stadia since it seems something of a cheat to count both Ninian Park and CCS. (Even more so for the Arms Park and Mill Stad). If you're "doing the 92" then surely Cardiff - or any other old ground - has been ticked off the list.

If you went to White Hart Lane but then visited the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, does that count as a new ground? Is a stadium a "new" stadium if it has four new stands? If you went to NP in the 1930s and then again in the 90s is it a different ground?

Anyway, I'm on 97 grounds worldwide, which I think is pretty good although it probably pales in comparison with some of you. Anyone else know their total or, quite literally, a ballpark figure?

Re: Ground hopping philosophy

In that case don't think new grounds are cheating. I've been to the Britania and I've been to the Victoria Ground. I count both. I've been to Highbury, but I haven't been to the Emirates. I've been to the Arms Park (or National Stadium for some of you) but not the Mil Stad. The both would be completly new expereinces for me and both are completely new stadiums (almost). I don't think refurbished stadiums like Stamford Bridge or the Valley should count.

The 92 is a different thing altogether, as IMO if you went to Fellows Park back in the 80s you'd have Wallsall under your belt. But if you went to Plough Lane in the 80s would you have AFC Wimbledon, MK Dons or neither? I say neither.

I'm on about 70 current league grounds but about 120 including defunct grounds or relegated sides and now have started on foreign whenever I get the chance.

I knew I was becoming obsessed when I went to watch Malta v Norway in November though it reminded me of the 4th division days

I think it’s up to you. The actual 92 Club say you have to have attended a competitive game at the current league ground - which also had to be in the league at the time. So if, say, you went to Forest Green 10 years ago that wouldn’t count. I think that’s OTT. I went to FG for a pre season friendly so I am counting that. But I am not counting spurs as I haven’t done the current ground - despite seeing them at home at two other venues. I’ve done 79 current league grounds but some of those are for friendlies and even a Youth Cup Tie at the Emirates! Question is.....have I been to the Emirates for a football match. Answer .....yes I have, so I count it.

I’m working on Cymru Premier grounds too, done around half so far.