+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Swansea and the Union Jacks

Swansea and the Union Jacks

WTF? Aren't they supposed to be more Welsh than us?

Re: Swansea and the Union Jacks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I thought they had them cos they’re called The Jacks as in Union Jack. But officially it can only be called a Union Jack if it’s flown off a royal ship. Any other time it’s called a Union Flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Banc Blue View Post
    I thought they had them cos they’re called The Jacks as in Union Jack. But officially it can only be called a Union Jack if it’s flown off a royal ship. Any other time it’s called a Union Flag.
    They aren't called the Jacks as in Union Jack, they called the Jacks as in Swansea Jack https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swansea_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    They aren't called the Jacks as in Union Jack, they called the Jacks as in Swansea Jack https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swansea_Jack
    Thought it came from the phrase "You Jack Bastard"?

Quote Originally Posted by Banc Blue View Post
    Not another one....

Always thought the significant support we get from the valleys has historically made the city more overtly “Welsh”. Although not anti-unionist per se, those areas are arguably more (Welsh) patriotic.

A work colleague of mine (football fan, English) text me during the game asking if the jacks are more like Rangers and the city like Celtic. I said if you had to choose, then yes purely due to the UJs, but otherwise the comparison doesn’t work.

The jacks do appear to have a loyalist minority in their support that’s quite visible but that’s leavened out a little by it being the only place I’ve seen a Welsh republican flag at the football.

I’m sure there are plenty of city fans that would align themselves as unionist/loyalist but if so I’ve never seen any visual representation of it down the city on the scale you see at Swansea. Always wondered what sort of reaction you’d find if a few started appearing.

Let's hope they don't appear, we don't want any of that Rangers and Celtic crap at our club.

Maybe being Welsh is defined by squabbling how Welsh you are and in the only language you speak i.e. English.......

Thought it came from the phrase "You Jack Bastard"?
    When is the forum going to get a like button?

The Union Jack wouldn’t be anything to do with the alleged infiltration of the Swansea fan base by the Football Lads Alliance, would it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    The Union Jack wouldn’t be anything to do with the alleged infiltration of the Swansea fan base by the Football Lads Alliance, would it ?
    They do it firstly as it's a play on swansea jack and secondly to wind up cardiff fans who they know hate the union jack

Cant ever see them displaying a swansea union jack at wales away games mind

I’m sure there are plenty of city fans that would align themselves as unionist/loyalist but if so I’ve never seen any visual representation of it down the city on the scale you see at Swansea. Always wondered what sort of reaction you’d find if a few started appearing.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Bollocks Cardiff City is a unified non political non religious club - TFFT

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    They do it firstly as it's a play on swansea jack and secondly to wind up cardiff fans who they know hate the union jack

Cant ever see them displaying a swansea union jack at wales away games mind
    As long as we have our idiots singing about them being too scared to follow Wales, and bigger idiots who try to create a reason for them no to follow Wales, they'll have their idiots displaying union flags.

Wouldn't it be nice if this derby evolved into something more based on our distinct identities as Welsh cities? At the moment it seems to be competing to be such a small minded thing as "one team in Wales" or based on "we'll sing rugby songs so you sing about sexual abuse."

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    They were Jacks decades before the emergence of Football Lads Alliance, but you already knew that.

They have union jacks because of the word jack in the name.
    If it was called the union king for example they would'nt have them.

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    They have union jacks because of the word jack in the name.
    If it was called the union king for example they would'nt have them.
    Nail on the head Stan.

[QUOTE=Maxim;5038139]Nail on the head Stan.[/QUOTE
    I wonder if McBurnie will take the nickname of his present club literally and turn up with one at Hillsborough as a supporter a few years down the line.

[QUOTE=splott parker;5038155]
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
    Nail on the head Stan.[/QUOTE
    I wonder if McBurnie will take the nickname of his present club literally and turn up with one at Hillsborough as a supporter a few years down the line.
    Time will tell SP.I bet haves brown sauce on his bacon butty.

[QUOTE=Maxim;5038157]
    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

Time will tell SP.I bet haves brown sauce on his bacon butty.
    You f*cker, I’m right off track now, you’ve got me like Father Jack with a whisky bottle hanging over the front of his wheelchair!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    They were Jacks decades before the emergence of Football Lads Alliance, but you already knew that.
    Football Lads Alliance.

Jeezuz this game attracts some ****ing idiots.

When I was younger dull PT Jack's I knew were recruited by Combat 18 on the North Bank, racists underbelly as been there as far back as the 90s to my knowledge. Hard to get this knowledge in County Louth. Off topic do you prefer Drogheda or Dundalk FC's?