+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Baku to Rome plans

Baku to Rome plans

Is anybody going from Baku to Rome for the last group game in the summer? What is your method?

I'm going to be in Baku for both games and I'm keen to leave the morning after the 2nd game, as I'm so far out of the way I want to see somewhere I otherwise would struggle to get to (e.g Tbilisi etc) before going to Rome closer to match day.

Although I'm finding it difficult to get anywhere 'nearby' for 2-3 days before Rome without it taking a really long time and/or being super expensive, any suggestions on somewhere interesting to go while being relatively cheap to get to?

Re: Baku to Rome plans

You can get to Tblisi on an overnight train, a sleeper - and it can be interesting who you end up sharing a cabin with! I got a young Azeri chap but the only other Brit on the train was ensconced with three leggy Russian women wearing very minimal bed attire. I know that as they had their carriage door open for quite some time....

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    You can get to Tblisi on an overnight train, a sleeper - and it can be interesting who you end up sharing a cabin with! I got a young Azeri chap but the only other Brit on the train was ensconced with three leggy Russian women wearing very minimal bed attire. I know that as they had their carriage door open for quite some time....
    That was my original plan however the train leaves at around 9pm and the match doesn't finish until 10pm. I don't want to wait until the following evening otherwise I'll only get 1-2 days in Tbilisi.

Interesting about the other Brit, I wonder if he ended up going on to Russia afterwards...

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    That was my original plan however the train leaves at around 9pm and the match doesn't finish until 10pm. I don't want to wait until the following evening otherwise I'll only get 1-2 days in Tbilisi.

Interesting about the other Brit, I wonder if he ended up going on to Russia afterwards...
    I don't know about that but, although we didn't have a common language, I learned that the young Azeri chap had a Russian girlfriend in Moscow. He proudly showed me a video of him blowing raspberries on their baby and in some strange places...

Flying Baku to Istanbul on the Friday (think it was about €70). Land Friday night so it’ll just be a sleep in an airport hotel job then I’m flying Istanbul to Rome Saturday morning (was about €120). Not too bad price wise all things considered. Not sure if it would have gone up as was a few weeks ago now.

Quote Originally Posted by SunderlandBluebird View Post
    Flying Baku to Istanbul on the Friday (think it was about €70). Land Friday night so it’ll just be a sleep in an airport hotel job then I’m flying Istanbul to Rome Saturday morning (was about €120). Not too bad price wise all things considered. Not sure if it would have gone up as was a few weeks ago now.
    I'm considering going to Turkey as well though for 2-3 days instead. Being in Baku for a week I am keen to leave on the Thursday however for some bizarre reason it seems like they cut 70% of flights on a Thursday....

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza16 View Post
    I'm considering going to Turkey as well though for 2-3 days instead. Being in Baku for a week I am keen to leave on the Thursday however for some bizarre reason it seems like they cut 70% of flights on a Thursday....
    I don't think the flights on Thursday have been cut. It is more that they are all full and unavailable to book. We are on the 7.45 am flight out to Istanbul that day with Buta Air but you can't book that online anymore and I guess other flights could be the same. With all the Wales fans leaving Baku and many Turks who might find it cheaper and easier to go home and come back for the last Switzerland game rather than pay inflated hotel costs then booking the route back through Turkey now is going to be a challenge or extremely costly I am afraid.

You can book that overnight sleeper to Tbilisi online but only a month in advance. Again you may need to be quick off the mark on the day the tickets go on sale. Otherwise it might be a case of staying in Baku until the next day. You can currently get a Baku Tbilisi flight on 19th at 9.30 am arrives 10.40 for £43 which doesn't look a bad option in the circumstances.

There are still challenges getting from Tbilisi for a direct flight to Rome or Italy on 20th. One thing worth looking at is moving on from Tbilisi to Kutaisi. You can currently get a flight from there to Bologna that arrives midnight before the day of the match with Ryanair for £24 (two seats left at that price). Fast train from Bologna to Rome is about 2.5 hours. Alternatively you leave Tbilisi early on day of match with Aegean through Athens and arrive in Rome at 9.30 am for around £95. Plenty of time for an expresso and a few aperitivos before the match!

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I don't think the flights on Thursday have been cut. It is more that they are all full and unavailable to book. We are on the 7.45 am flight out to Istanbul that day with Buta Air but you can't book that online anymore and I guess other flights could be the same. With all the Wales fans leaving Baku and many Turks who might find it cheaper and easier to go home and come back for the last Switzerland game rather than pay inflated hotel costs then booking the route back through Turkey now is going to be a challenge or extremely costly I am afraid.

You can book that overnight sleeper to Tbilisi online but only a month in advance. Again you may need to be quick off the mark on the day the tickets go on sale. Otherwise it might be a case of staying in Baku until the next day. You can currently get a Baku Tbilisi flight on 19th at 9.30 am arrives 10.40 for £43 which doesn't look a bad option in the circumstances.

There are still challenges getting from Tbilisi for a direct flight to Rome or Italy on 20th. One thing worth looking at is moving on from Tbilisi to Kutaisi. You can currently get a flight from there to Bologna that arrives midnight before the day of the match with Ryanair for £24 (two seats left at that price). Fast train from Bologna to Rome is about 2.5 hours. Alternatively you leave Tbilisi early on day of match with Aegean through Athens and arrive in Rome at 9.30 am for around £95. Plenty of time for an expresso and a few aperitivos before the match!

Good luck
    Your username is perfect fair play