+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Uppity: An uppity person behaves in an unpleasant way because they think that they are more important than they really are.

Not sure what you're point is as it's obvious what the definition of the word is. The point being made by croesy is that it was used (and is still used to this day) against black people who didn't "know their place" in society and shouldn't act a certain way... Like they're second class citizens. So it's the connotations of the word that's important here.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/connotation
    It doesn’t mean that over here though. If you asked a random 1,000 people in towns and city’s up and down the UK to expand on the word “uppity”, I don’t think one person would say it was a racist term.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    It is ridiculous.

These days, if you say you're British, you'll be arrested and thrown in jail.
    Stewart Lee is a genius at winding people up.
    He is smugness personified...but clever and funny.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    It doesn’t mean that over here though. If you asked a random 1,000 people in towns and city’s up and down the UK to expand on the word “uppity”, I don’t think one person would say it was a racist term.
    Igoverner was giving us the definition of a word in order to say it doesn't mean something over here.

I could put up the definition of the Oxford dictionary definition of the word 'monkey' and say it isn't racist... But I think the majority of people would agree that if you called a black person that word then it would be racist due to it's connotations.

Uppity means the same in the US as it does here but the connotations of it being linked with racism are obviously much stronger over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Are you serious? Uppity has a long history of being used as in a racist way. There is a long history of this.
    Wow I genuinely didn't know that .

Do you think when people use it that they know it's an old racist historic reference.

I thought it described folk who were a bit self important ,but arrogant??

I've used it many times never knowing it a well known racist term .

I used to have a posh aunt who was short in reply to folk , had very little patience, and she was referred to as a bit uppity .

Tell you what , there's somd well read folk on this board ,forget university , just subscribe to CCMB .

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    White privilege really helped the young girls in Telford, Rochdale, Rotherham, Oxford, Newcastle etc.

White, working class boys have been left behind in educational terms for eons and
    affirmative action has been in place for a long time.

Identity politics and those championing intersectionalism is what is toxic and what will continue pushing people to the right socially.

Also calling Pritti Patel an “Uncle Tom” is abhorrent.
    I guess that Thomas Sowell is a “House Negro” because he has the audacity to hold libertarian views?
    Shes a right uncle tom , daughter of immigrants , well educated , gets a good job , gets a tory mp place , now shes a right wing anti european anti immigrant pro capital punishment goose stepping swivel eyed loon

Unless they are fat or ginger, or plug ugly, or have a deformity. Then they are ridiculed in their own way.
    Is there anyone your not offended on behalf of?
    Has it come to the point where a white person living in the UK has got to be embarrassed and apologetic for just being who they are, and can’t be seen to have opinions on certain topics.?
    No white people who are ok are allright in my book

Its ignorant fools I have disdain for , whatever their background

I like the music of Lauren hill but shes got a problem with white people that is definitely racist

It takes all sorts

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    No white people who are ok are allright in my book

Its ignorant fools I have disdain for , whatever their background

I like the music of Lauren hill but shes got a problem with white people that is definitely racist

It takes all sorts
    I can agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I think its best to let a bunch of white guys define racism and how it doesn't exist.
    I think so , nobody knows more about racism than white football fans

They face extreme racism on a daily basis

I think so , nobody knows more about racism than white football fans

They face extreme racism on a daily basis
    complete and utter rubbish you sheep shagger

Shes a right uncle tom , daughter of immigrants , well educated , gets a good job , gets a tory mp place , now shes a right wing anti european anti immigrant pro capital punishment goose stepping swivel eyed loon

An assertion that a person of colour should be a certain way, think a certain way and adhere to stereotypes or they are an Uncle Tom....is racist.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    I think its best to let a bunch of white guys define racism and how it doesn't exist.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToTaL ITK View Post
    complete and utter rubbish you sheep shagger
    I am reporting you to your boss

Starting threads like this and the one about Stormzy, then constantly trying to defend the fact that you're not racist and institutions in this country aren't racist, claiming that it's just people disagreeing with the opposite standpoint and playing the race card... That makes you look racially insensitive at the very least.

None of us know if you're racist or not, but you're not helping yourself with the messages you're sending on here.
    Is it racist to say I don't like that Stormzy fella he is awfully loud ,and his music makes my nose bleed as well.

Much prefer a bit of Max Bygraves, and a Bourbon Biscuit dipped into my tea.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Is it racist to say I don't like that Stormzy fella he is awfully loud ,and his music makes my nose bleed as well.

Much prefer a bit of Max Bygraves, and a Bourbon Biscuit dipped into my tea.
    Obviously not... saying sarcastic things like that don't help the conversation either.

If you want to know what racism is... It was racist of you to to define "ethnic people" as not being "natural born UK citizens".

Maybe you can think about that while you're having your tea and biscuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    An assertion that a person of colour should be a certain way, think a certain way and adhere to stereotypes or they are an Uncle Tom....is racist.
    I beg to differ

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Camilla didn't get anything like this.

Camilla and Charles faced a helluva lot of bad press when they got together, which is understandable given Diana's popularity. However they rose above it, didn't answer their detractors and just got on with it. As a result she is now a far more popular addition to the royal family than was deemed possible when they first got married.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Sorry to play the cracked record, but this thread is about Meghan Markel. I do not deny that all those things listed are things which ordinary people of colour might suffer from. The lady in the audience claimed that criticism of Meghan Markel arises from racist thinking. The actor guy challenged that. I did not hear any evidence that racism was behind the hounding, only opinions. I do not read any of the tabloid newspapers so I may have missed it.
    Do you believe that the press and government and the establishment are free of racism?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Do you believe that the press and government and the establishment are free of racism?
    I would like to say in this day and age yes, but I cannot be sure of course. We still have blokes making monkey noises at football matches in the UK for heavens sake, which I simply cannot fathom.

I would like to say in this day and age yes, but I cannot be sure of course.
    I’ll give you some advice mate, they 100% aren’t.

She just doesn’t want to live the royal life now it would seem, don’t really blame her, she’d rather live back the other side of the Atlantic.
    Tough one for Harry, but reckon he’s always wanted to F off and go and live in a Canadian mountain lodge in the rockies somewhere anyway...he clearly hates the tabloids.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    She just doesn’t want to live the royal life now it would seem, don’t really blame her, she’d rather live back the other side of the Atlantic.
    Tough one for Harry, but reckon he’s always wanted to F off and go and live in a Canadian mountain lodge in the rockies somewhere anyway...he clearly hates the tabloids.
    After what happened to his mum when he was 11 or 12, who can blame him? Imagine what it must be like for him seeing it all start to happen again with his wife.

Did anyone watch Question Time last night? I wonder is anyone else getting tired of hearing people using the race card when they disagree with someone. Here is the clip from last night:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-511...sh-over-meghan

Like the actor guy, I am a white male although I would not classify myself as particularly priviliged other than being so grateful for good health in my advanced years! Whatever my feelings about Meghan Markel are, they have nothing whatsoever to do with her colour. I guess if I make only positive comments about her that's fine, but if I criticise her for anything then it must be because she is of mixed race. PC gone mad again.
    Yes, everyone is getting tired of it, but the way out of that is to recognise why people are talking about it and what we can do to improve things. It doesn't mean agreeing with everything, but it does means listening rather than shutting down the conversation or denying people's experience. So the question should be whether Laurence Fox is listening to what's being said or saying he doesn't need to for whatever reason.

Igoverner was giving us the definition of a word in order to say it doesn't mean something over here.

I could put up the definition of the Oxford dictionary definition of the word 'monkey' and say it isn't racist... But I think the majority of people would agree that if you called a black person that word then it would be racist due to it's connotations.

Uppity means the same in the US as it does here but the connotations of it being linked with racism are obviously much stronger over there.
    They may be much stronger over there, but that’s because it simply doesn’t mean the same thing over here. What’s so difficult to understand about that?
    It’s a moot point. Grasping at straws reaches new levels on this board regularly.

Heisenberg

They may be much stronger over there, but that’s because it simply doesn’t mean the same thing over here. What’s so difficult to understand about that?
    It’s a moot point. Grasping at straws reaches new levels on this board regularly.
    It's difficult to understand why you're being dense. The meaning of a word and the connotation of a word are two different things - it's basic English. Like I pointed out, the word monkey means the same on both side of the pond (like uppity does) - but does the word have other connotations when it's in reference to a black person? The answer is yes and it's the same for 'uppity'. I've tried to explain it as best as I can.

If there are British people that have never heard the word uppity as referring to a black person (as TOBW said, it was often followed by the word n***er or negro') and think that because of that it can't possibly be racist to call a black person 'uppity' then they're just being ignorant. Before you point out that it's the other part of that sentence that's the racist bit, not uppity... the term was in widespread use so just the word 'uppity' was commonplace as a racist epithet.

Let's not forget where Meghan Markle is from if you want to play the 'it doesn't mean the same thing here as it does there' game, shall we? If a few tw*ts on a CCMB messageboard know what the connotations of the word are... don't you think trained media-types, editors and producers would have a better grasp of the situation than us?

We're never going to agree on this so it's up to you if want to argue with yourself.

It's difficult to understand why you're being dense. The meaning of a word and the connotation of a word are two different things - it's basic English. Like I pointed out, the word monkey means the same on both side of the pond (like uppity does) - but does the word have other connotations when it's in reference to a black person? The answer is yes and it's the same for 'uppity'. I've tried to explain it as best as I can.

If there are British people that have never heard the word uppity as referring to a black person (as TOBW said, it was often followed by the word n***er or negro') and think that because of that it can't possibly be racist to call a black person 'uppity' then they're just being ignorant. Before you point out that it's the other part of that sentence that's the racist bit, not uppity... the term was in widespread use so just the word 'uppity' was commonplace as a racist epithet.

Let's not forget where Meghan Markle is from if you want to play the 'it doesn't mean the same thing here as it does there' game, shall we? If a few tw*ts on a CCMB messageboard know what the connotations of the word are... don't you think trained media-types, editors and producers would have a better grasp of the situation than us?

We're never going to agree on this so it's up to you if want to argue with yourself.
    Point well-made sir.

It's interesting that words can gain negative connotations but rarely lose negative connotations.

For the record, I was uninformed about the connotations before this thread. Nothing wrong with learning and being able to show more respect to different cultures/communities.