+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    International

Re: Hounding of Meghan Markel by British tabloid press is racist apparently

I think she is way more privilaged than me or my wife.
    she married him and immediately had a house and residency status in UK which she wasn't entitled to.
    The law states that if a Brit marries a foreigner he has to be married to her for at least 2 years before she can apply for a visa to live in UK, and he has to complete lots of forms and give absolute proof of income/wealth and pay a deposit for medical care before the visa application can even be considered.
    that law applies to them as much ax it does to you or me but it was completely forgotten, whereas I had to do all these things and spend thousands of pounds in order to acheive the same thing.
    yes she is privilaged. Do you think it would have helped me not do all this if my wife was black?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Who with?
    Rebecca Loos for one.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    No, you've changed it now to being specifically about Meghan Markle, whereas before you raised the point about her, and a more general point about, in your own words, in the very first paragraph of the thread :

"I wonder is anyone else getting tired of hearing people using the race card when they disagree with someone?"

It's been pointed out multiple times in this thread that there are very valid reasons for people "playing the race card" and it's not "PC gone mad" and you've now changed your tune to "I was only talking about Meghan Markle"
    Pointed out by who? Experts? Or 2 bit nobody’s on a football MB?

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Pointed out by who? Experts? Or 2 bit nobody’s on a football MB?
    The people that he invited to have a conversation about it with him

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    The people that he invited to have a conversation about it with him
    Yes. But your saying “it’s been pointed out” as if certain posters opinions are gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Yes. But your saying “it’s been pointed out” as if certain posters opinions are gospel.
    I see Gofer Blue has been registered on this board since 2009, so he should know how threads like the one he started here always end up - pages and pages of people going through slightly different versions of the same story, so I have a bit of a problem with the air of bemused innocence he has been putting over regarding the way the thread has developed.

I'd just like to ask a couple of questions. Firstly, isn't Laurence Fox implicitly accepting the concept of "white privelidge" with his I was born this way line? Second, regarding "uppity", can I ask what word first springs to mind to the contributors of this thread as the most likely one to follow it? For me, it's obvious and I'd be fascinated to know what those arguing about that word think is a more common accompaniment of it.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I see Gofer Blue has been registered on this board since 2009, so he should know how threads like the one he started here always end up - pages and pages of people going through slightly different versions of the same story, so I have a bit of a problem with the air of bemused innocence he has been putting over regarding the way the thread has developed.

I'd just like to ask a couple of questions. Firstly, isn't Laurence Fox implicitly accepting the concept of "white privelidge" with his I was born this way line? Second, regarding "uppity", can I ask what word first springs to mind to the contributors of this thread as the most likely one to follow it? For me, it's obvious and I'd be fascinated to know what those arguing about that word think is a more common accompaniment of it.
    Not bemused innocence at all, more frustration with folk who apparently cannot/will not see what the OP has written. I accept your point though Bob, this is often the way threads develop - I guess it's just very frustrating when I am the OP on this occasion!

Re: Laurence Fox: I think the poor bloke was simply saying sorry lady but this is how I am, I cannot change it. I don't know if he was accepting any kind of concept.

Re: uppity. the only meaning I have ever come across until this thread was a word used to describe a snobbish person. I'm sure someone will now come along and say that as a closet racist I would say that wouldn't I!

International

My mother used the word uppity about people when iIwas a boy in a time when racist in my area was virtually unheard of, mainly perhaps because there were no immigrants or persons of a different colour and therefore no perceived threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    Perhaps it’s not all down to racism but it is a hugely significant factor with the right wing press and their vile readers.

What a pathetic catch-all statement. Have you ever read a 'right-wing' newspaper or do you get physically sick as soon as you cast your eyes on the evil newsprint ? Poor love.

Initially Meghan was not treated badly by the tabloid press but in recent times her high mindedness and diva-like demands for privacy has irked the British public and this is the primary reason for her fall from grace. To the vast majority of people (including the right wing press and its "vile" readers) her skin colour is irrelevant.

"Ma'am, grown men are talking about me on a football message board"

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post

"Ma'am, grown men are talking about me on a football message board"
    Didn't she divorce her first husband by text? I bet you could put together an interesting psychological profile for this lady, and there would be red flags all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Didn't she divorce her first husband by text? I bet you could put together an interesting psychological profile for this lady, and there would be red flags all over the place.
    Absolutely, if you have any understanding about that sort of thing. I hope Harry doesn't regret burning his bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Absolutely, if you have any understanding about that sort of thing. I hope Harry doesn't regret burning his bridges.
    Oops my mistake. Turns out there isn't a shred of evidence that she divorced her first husband by text. That'll teach me for reposting fake news like this from dubious and ill-informed sources.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Oops my mistake. Turns out there isn't a shred of evidence that she divorced her first husband by text. That'll teach me for reposting fake news like this from dubious and ill-informed sources.
    I must have got her mixed up with another B-list actress. What she did do was dump her husband out of the blue and then sent the engagement and wedding rings back to him by post. Very classy. Apologies for the little error in the details, I am clearly not as obsessed with the woman as you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    It's difficult to understand why you're being dense. The meaning of a word and the connotation of a word are two different things - it's basic English. Like I pointed out, the word monkey means the same on both side of the pond (like uppity does) - but does the word have other connotations when it's in reference to a black person? The answer is yes and it's the same for 'uppity'. I've tried to explain it as best as I can.

If there are British people that have never heard the word uppity as referring to a black person (as TOBW said, it was often followed by the word n***er or negro') and think that because of that it can't possibly be racist to call a black person 'uppity' then they're just being ignorant. Before you point out that it's the other part of that sentence that's the racist bit, not uppity... the term was in widespread use so just the word 'uppity' was commonplace as a racist epithet.

Let's not forget where Meghan Markle is from if you want to play the 'it doesn't mean the same thing here as it does there' game, shall we? If a few tw*ts on a CCMB messageboard know what the connotations of the word are... don't you think trained media-types, editors and producers would have a better grasp of the situation than us?

We're never going to agree on this so it's up to you if want to argue with yourself.
    It's like the word bollocks we all know what it means everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    It's like the word bollocks we all know what it means everywhere.
    Make your mind up. You didn’t know the connotations of ‘Uppity’ yesterday.

Best article I've read Trevor Phillip's is spot on .

https://mol.im/a/7900563

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I can agree with that.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/th...f-lauryn-hill/

If you're both referring to this, it's not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Sensible View Post
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/th...f-lauryn-hill/

If you're both referring to this, it's not true.
    No, it's not that. She's made several statements over the years. And I know someone who worked with her. She's wrong, but I can see where she's coming from. For white people to hate races that they've colonized, used, and subjugated is hypocritical at best. At least African-Americans have a legitimate gripe.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Make your mind up. You didn’t know the connotations of ‘Uppity’ yesterday.

I bet not many knew the connotations of uppity before this broke as a story it's all utter bollocks , Corbyn and Brexit are finished as a subject matter ,which has left a big gap in the woe is me need brigade so they seek another crusade to cling too.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    The Queen is not racist but she guessed what was coming
    Maybe she was concerned for her; maybe she thought "don't do this, love, it's a very strange institution and the bastards won't even let you retire otherwise you might taint their weird, infantile sense of identity." Or perhaps she was as fed up as she always looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post

Really? Based on a single photo?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    That’s just what I picture Heisenberg to look like 😂😂