+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did we play today?

How did we play today?

From anyone who went to the game.

An improvement over recent weeks hopefully? 👍

Re: How did we play today?

Nope, more of the same poor stuff. Luckily, the last few games have shown that most of the sides around us are equally bad. If we had someone who could put the ball in the net, we'd be laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post

An improvement over recent weeks hopefully? ��
    No improvement. Manager needs to start bringing his own players in, until he can or does this is Warnock's team playing Warnock's tactics and Warnock is nowhere.

I watched the first half. It was abysmal. We could have easily been 3-0 down at half time. We created nothing and were under the cosh most of the time. It wasn't even like Birmingham took the piss, they were bad too. We were just worse.

Definately played better in the second half. Flint looked really pissed off in the warm up seeing as he wasn't starting. Could have done with him having a few shots...two on target all match. There are simple changes that can be made to improve how we play. It's just not happening and I'll stick to us finishing 10th to 15th this season. And the next and the one after that, at this rate. No wonder the bar was full by the time the ref blew for half time.

It was a day that the cliche "a game of two halves" was never more true.

Pathetic first half. We didn't have a meaningful presence in their box until the last minute. Ponderous in possession and lethargic in trying to win it back. Ward was awful before he went off with concussion. Rightly booed off.

Second half, as Harris alluded, we went more direct but also moved the ball more quickly. Loads of Patterson long throws and poor defending led to several corners, the fans getting behind the team and Birmingham now penned in their own half.

The only meaningful time Brum got in our box was a diagonal cross a bit like QPR's first goal which went over Morrison's head but Smithies made a splendid save. He was sound all game.

In terms of performances. Hoillett was truly awful. Whyte dreadful in first half but a bit better second. The midfield three unimposing with Tomlin anonymous for most of the game but still scoring and hitting the outside of the post. Nelson and Bennett ok and Richards improved after a shaky start and lazy marking for the goal. Ralls looked athletic in the short time he was on.

An improvement over recent weeks hopefully? ��
    Scintillating stuff. Real edge of the seat game that I would love to get my hands on the match DVD.

Hoilett has been mostly awful since he missed that penalty at Charlton.

Brilliant second half, dreadful first half.
    We should have won that, if we played 90 minutes like we did in the second half.

Also I prefer smithies to etheridge

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    Hoilett has been mostly awful since he missed that penalty at Charlton.
    I wonder how much of a factor Warnock was with Hoilett. He was out of contract when Neil singed him up, quite ludicrous really. He has blown hot and cold at times, but he's always been capable of moments of brilliance. Haven't really seen anything from him since Warnock left. He always seemed to do well when under Warnock.

Quote Originally Posted by Armitage Shanks View Post
    Brilliant second half, dreadful first half.
    We should have won that, if we played 90 minutes like we did in the second half.

Also I prefer smithies to etheridge
    How many times has that been the case since Harris took over though? Happened too many times to be a coincidence and it’s starting to cause concern.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    It was a day that the cliche "a game of two halves" was never more true.

Pathetic first half. We didn't have a meaningful presence in their box until the last minute. Ponderous in possession and lethargic in trying to win it back. Ward was awful before he went off with concussion. Rightly booed off.

Second half, as Harris alluded, we went more direct but also moved the ball more quickly. Loads of Patterson long throws and poor defending led to several corners, the fans getting behind the team and Birmingham now penned in their own half.

The only meaningful time Brum got in our box was a diagonal cross a bit like QPR's first goal which went over Morrison's head but Smithies made a splendid save. He was sound all game.

In terms of performances. Hoillett was truly awful. Whyte dreadful in first half but a bit better second. The midfield three unimposing with Tomlin anonymous for most of the game but still scoring and hitting the outside of the post. Nelson and Bennett ok and Richards improved after a shaky start and lazy marking for the goal. Ralls looked athletic in the short time he was on.
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate it.

Sounded a bit grim from most of the replies.

Why do I keep thinking: Russell Slade?

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    How many times has that been the case since Harris took over though? Happened too many times to be a coincidence and it’s starting to cause concern.
    Millwall fans had lost patience with Harris, he probably got given more time than most because of his long association with them
    He has inherited Warnocks squad and has been brought in to improve them, Rowett is in the same position having replaced Harris at Millwall, one look at the table tells you whose been enjoying more immediate success.
    Neil Harris might be a top bloke but he is out of his depth here at a team supposed to be aiming for a top 6 finish

Thanks for the views do admire your continued commitments to the club and its away challenges.

It didn't sound great on the radio, it looks like a very ordinary season for us this year .

Someone reminded me going into yesterday's we were on the same points Villa were last year so not all is lost surely? (TBF they did on a 10 game unbeaten run from this point ).

We will see which way the club goes in January as we could recover the season with a decent spending January, I think not though though , and this season is a holding one , and yes as someone hads pointed out perhaps a Russell Slade type appointment to bridge the changeover as we run down certain contracts ,and lose the baggage before we go again ?

..... and to think there were some on here, actually many, whose preference was to be in the Championship over the PL....for a whole host of bullshit reasons - the worst being the ‘I don’t want to see us get outplayed or battered each week’ protesters.

I’d take a relegation battle and being the underdogs in every single game in the PL 100% of the time over this junk.... in my opinion there’s more likelihood in the future of us being a League 1 side than a PL side again

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Millwall fans had lost patience with Harris, he probably got given more time than most because of his long association with them
    He has inherited Warnocks squad and has been brought in to improve them, Rowett is in the same position having replaced Harris at Millwall, one look at the table tells you whose been enjoying more immediate success.
    Neil Harris might be a top bloke but he is out of his depth here at a team supposed to be aiming for a top 6 finish
    I think that you may be right.

It is strange that after Rowett’s lack of success at Stoke and Derby, both clubs with resources, he is now doing a good job at Millwall.

And yes, looking at their recent trajectory versus ours tells a clear story. 😳

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    ..... and to think there were some on here, actually many, whose preference was to be in the Championship over the PL....for a whole host of bullshit reasons - the worst being the ‘I don’t want to see us get outplayed or battered each week’ protesters.

I’d take a relegation battle and being the underdogs in every single game in the PL 100% of the time over this junk.... in my opinion there’s more likelihood in the future of us being a League 1 side than a PL side again
    Completely agree with that if not the last comment about being a League 1 club (fingers crossed anyway!)

First half performance was worse than QPR in my opinion, at least we had a patch in that first half that we had a bit of a go. First half was proper crap. Yet I think we had 55% posession when I was looking at the stats just before half time.

We seemed to conceed possession in the second half but were much better and reverted to type.

This is an interesting thread. Two issues standbout.
    1 Is Harris up to being our manager
    2 Can he change our style of play?

On the 2nd question I dont think he can while he has the same players. IMO he would be just as well reverting to the type of play the team has been used to for 3 years. It was noticeable yesterday our best spell came when we stopped trying to play football and played long balls and pressing high. Until Harris brings in at least 3/4 of his 'own' players the team will not change the way it plays.
    2 Is Harris up to managing a 'big' club. It is beginning to look like that he is not. Clearly he needs to be given time, and as has been pointed out this is beginning to feel like a Slade like appointment, but I have serious doubts as to whether he is going to be here long term. Millwall may be his level.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate it.

Sounded a bit grim from most of the replies.

Why do I keep thinking: Russell Slade?
    Why doesn’t Trollope receive this constant vitriol? Life under Trollope was without any hope. In fairness to Slade he did a good job in very difficult circumstances but he seems to be the go to scapegoat.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    This is an interesting thread. Two issues standbout.
    1 Is Harris up to being our manager
    2 Can he change our style of play?

On the 2nd question I dont think he can while he has the same players. IMO he would be just as well reverting to the type of play the team has been used to for 3 years. It was noticeable yesterday our best spell came when we stopped trying to play football and played long balls and pressing high. Until Harris brings in at least 3/4 of his 'own' players the team will not change the way it plays.
    2 Is Harris up to managing a 'big' club. It is beginning to look like that he is not. Clearly he needs to be given time, and as has been pointed out this is beginning to feel like a Slade like appointment, but I have serious doubts as to whether he is going to be here long term. Millwall may be his level.
    As someone who traveled yesterday I’ve got to ask when did we try to play football?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blue View Post
    As someone who traveled yesterday I’ve got to ask when did we try to play football?
    Apologies for my clumsy wording. From what I've seen in home matches, we seem to be trying to pass the ball around the back a bit more, albeit with very limited success.

As someone else who travelled yesterday I’d say many times in the first half we tried to play football, but did so ****ing poorly that’s why we were always on the back foot.

Why doesn’t Trollope receive this constant vitriol? Life under Trollope was without any hope. In fairness to Slade he did a good job in very difficult circumstances but he seems to be the go to scapegoat.
    You may have a point but wasn’t Troll only charge for a 12 games or something by which time I think that we were all paralysed by the boredom of Slade’s tenure.

That is why Warnock’s arrival was so refreshing.

But I feel that we are back in Slade territory now. And it isn’t any fun :-(

Harris arrived here with an average/unspectacular history as manager.

The reality of the situation is that it’s up to him to prove everyone he is more than an average manager.

At present, he isn’t doing that.