+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: President Trump @ Davos

President Trump @ Davos

Like him or loath him, the US economic upturn has been impressive given the current financial climate.

Re: President Trump @ Davos

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Like him or loath him, the US economic upturn has been impressive given the current financial climate.
    Stop it the lefties will be after you again ,once they have had their tea and a poo , only they have the fiscal policies that make sense .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Stop it the lefties will be after you again ,once they have had their tea and a poo , only they have the fiscal policies that make sense .
    I know you boys love hyperbole but struggle with facts so here is a good balanced set of metrics on the state of the US economy under Bush, Obama and Trump. He has several achievements but as usual the bragging and assertions are way north of reality.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...-been-steady-1

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    I know you boys love hyperbole but struggle with facts so here is a good balanced set of metrics on the state of the US economy under Bush, Obama and Trump. He has several achievements but as usual the bragging and assertions are way north of reality.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...-been-steady-1
    Well you will find Conor McGregor thinks he's doing an unbelievable job

Yep, the TDS Crew will be along shortly to say the American economy is going down the tubes, and the same thing will happen post-Brexit too.

Yep, the TDS Crew will be along shortly to say the American economy is going down the tubes, and the same thing will happen post-Brexit too.
    What will they do, they didn't want :
    Brexit.
    Boris .
    Trump.

The argued on all of the above , but it seems a lot of folk disagree with thier view , and have used their democratic right to be heard,whether one agrees of not . (And that's the key, democracy and acceptance of different views and directions)

Gosh, it's like sitting in on a discussion between Milton Friedman and Friedrich Hayek watching you two titans articulating your views on the triumphs of Trump's economic record.

As you can see from the mixed set of indicators in the articles I attached there have been economic successes or a continuation of things from previous administrations that Trump will be able to herald in an election year. They may even get him over the line.

Several are short term though. Without wishing to sound like Organ Morgan the national debt continues to increase at an accelerated rate fuelled by a combination of decreased tax revenues thanks to the tax cut package implemented early in his tenure and increased spending. The fact that he is promising more tax cuts in this climate shows he is happy to play fast and loose with long term prosperity.

The other indicator to watch is the balance of payments, where despite MAGA rhetoric, the level of imports vs exports continues to rise. Despite tariffs it seems that no sooner are tax cuts placed in Americans' pockets that they are out there spending this on foreign imported goods. Any protestation to the Fed to reduce interest rates that succeeds is unlikely to stem this tide as incentives to save are further diminished.

What saving and investment that is taken place to address this imbalance are foreigners with trade surpluses buying up American financial and capital assets such as stocks, bonds and real estate. This inward investment is so great that it appreciates the dollar, further raising the incentive to buy cheaper foreign goods and services and keeping this invirtuous circle going.

This is unlikely to blow up in Trump's face in the short term but can't perpetuate if the USA is to remain the world's strongest economy.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Gosh, it's like sitting in on a discussion between Milton Friedman and Friedrich Hayek watching you two titans articulating your views on the triumphs of Trump's economic record.

As you can see from the mixed set of indicators in the articles I attached there have been economic successes or a continuation of things from previous administrations that Trump will be able to herald in an election year. They may even get him over the line.

Several are short term though. Without wishing to sound like Organ Morgan the national debt continues to increase at an accelerated rate fuelled by a combination of decreased tax revenues thanks to the tax cut package implemented early in his tenure and increased spending. The fact that he is promising more tax cuts in this climate shows he is happy to play fast and loose with long term prosperity.

The other indicator to watch is the balance of payments, where despite MAGA rhetoric, the level of imports vs exports continues to rise. Despite tariffs it seems that no sooner are tax cuts placed in Americans' pockets that they are out there spending this on foreign imported goods. Any protestation to the Fed to reduce interest rates that succeeds is unlikely to stem this tide as incentives to save are further diminished.

What saving and investment that is taken place to address this imbalance are foreigners with trade surpluses buying up American financial and capital assets such as stocks, bonds and real estate. This inward investment is so great that it appreciates the dollar, further raising the incentive to buy cheaper foreign goods and services and keeping this invirtuous circle going.

This is unlikely to blow up in Trump's face in the short term but can't perpetuate if the USA is to remain the world's strongest economy.
    I see, so a slight improvement over the earlier prediction that Trump was going to trash the economy if he ever got elected. I suppose that could be viewed as some sort of progress

I guess its another wait and see moment , i can see in the short term it has recovered and the trade wars he is pushing are about making american trade stronger and bring jibs home to the USA ,only time will tel , you can see how appealing it might be to the rust belt voter if they see jobs appearing again , it probably explains why the Democrats want impeachment as they dont seem to have much to say about jobs and the economy that will ring a bell in voters minds ,its all attack ,attack on Trump as a person .

I guess its another wait and see moment , i can see in the short term it has recovered and the trade wars he is pushing are about making american trade stronger and bring jibs home to the USA ,only time will tel , you can see how appealing it might be to the rust belt voter if they see jobs appearing again , it probably explains why the Democrats want impeachment as they dont seem to have much to say about jobs and the economy that will ring a bell in voters minds ,its all attack ,attack on Trump as a person .
    Europe are next to be Trumped, we got out just in time!

Europe are next to be Trumped, we got out just in time!

Think Boris is about to annoy Trump with his stand on allowing in Huawei and 5g , and now the digital Tax on Google and Amazon ,so much for being in his pocket .

Think Boris is about to annoy Trump with his stand on allowing in Huawei and 5g , and now the digital Tax on Google and Amazon ,so much for being in his pocket .
    Who said he was in anybody's pocket? He's either a dark horse or a trojan horse, but it's a bit too soon to make that call IMO.

Who said he was in anybody's pocket? He's either a dark horse or a trojan horse, but it's a bit too soon to make that call IMO.
    Labour have continually suggested that Boris dances to the Trump tune ,especially playing that card in the election , and with the NHS .

Labour have continually suggested that Boris dances to the Trump tune ,especially playing that card in the election , and with the NHS .
    Is this not a wait and see moment? Some big words from javid and you are convinced?

Where were you when this was happening to Corbyn?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Where were you when this was happening to Corbyn?
    I was never going to be anywhere near Corbyn's strange world.

Corbyn if you didn't notice was disliked , not just attacked ? were his policies by the public at large, hence the worse election performance on record for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Is this not a wait and see moment? Some big words from javid and you are convinced?
    It certainly is, now it's either bluster or fact we shall have to wait and see .

It could be canny politics in readiness for trade discussions with USA , isn't this how Trump operates whilst entering such negotiation with outburst statements of intention

It certainly is, now it's either bluster or fact we shall have to wait and see .

It could be canny politics in readiness for trade discussions with USA , isn't this how Trump operates whilst entering such negotiation with outburst statements of intention
    Trump was praised in Davos by global business leaders for creating the "economic envy of the world". I think Boris has some way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath

Trump was praised in Davos by global business leaders for creating the "economic envy of the world". I think Boris has some way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath
    I do agree , in fact Boris is more vulnerable who has a mountain to climb If the profits of doom associated to Brexit come true