+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Football in the 70;s

Football in the 70;s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-diW2FfoS-M

how times have changed

for better or worse than today ?

Re: Football in the 70;s

Players are fitter and faster than in the 70s. In fact, I reckon some of that footage looks laboured compared with some Championship football.

Defensively things have improved immensely.

that's why it's not feasible to compare players from any era to say who is/was the best . same in most sports

mind you I enjoyed that footage

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    that's why it's not feasible to compare players from any era to say who is/was the best . same in most sports

mind you I enjoyed that footage
    Agreed.

Compare footage in the 70s to the cup final footage in the 1920s. No comparison at all. Fitter players, more technically able, more tactics. It makes you wonder what football will be like in 2070!

In the last 10 years alone, passing accuracy in the Premier League has risen by around 10%

top players are semi robotic now but I know what you mean and I think the same too when's the pursuit of excellence going to end !!

think the rules will be need to be changed . sounds silly but things like bigger goals , bigger pitches , off side changes , less players on the pitch I,ve often wondered how the game is going to be like in the coming years

Like when people still say Pele is the greatest player of all time

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    When it was Maradona by a fecking mile

Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-diW2FfoS-M

how times have changed

for better or worse than today ?
    Very enjoyable but it made me feel very old!

Those pitches were disgraceful, the Leeds Derby game was a mudbath.
    WTF did the groundsmen do all week?

The general state of pitches, even parks pitches these days, are considerably better so definitely better from that perspective.

Skill-wise no competition at all, although I am of the opinion that most of the players of yesteryear would still be good professional footballers today.

Edit: From a training/coaching POV, one shot of the players stretching their hamstrings/calf muscles in the freezing cold and bouncing.
    Crazy!

The standard of play is way behind. But Liverpool had a pretty confident passing game. There were some great footballers on display, but there was much more room for a margin of error back then. Teams could lose, draw, have weak links etc. Liverpool's dominance and the big 5 were still a few years away. The League and the FA Cup in particular were way more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Cruyff for me

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Cruyff for me
    Well said that man, Johan was a genius but I still think Maradona just shades it (unearthly skill and temperament). However, Messi has to be put in the mix now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Players are fitter and faster than in the 70s. In fact, I reckon some of that footage looks laboured compared with some Championship football.
    Yes, there other other factors too such as the ball being lighter, the pitches being better etc

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    Yes, there other other factors too such as the ball being lighter, the pitches being better etc
    Fitness would be the main factor though IMO. Players look like top athletes these days, you look at those Leeds players in the dressing room and they just look like a bunch of ordinary blokes. I doubt the top clubs of that day could keep up with almost any EFL team today. I don't think they would be able to handle the pace and the physicality.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Cruyff for me

Boland , the complete player

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Best and Rolando for me ,natural talents

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Boland , the complete player
    Would have fitted into this team perfectly. Couldn't pass, couldn't score, didn't make many forward runs. One cross in a playoff semi final was his sole creative moment in several years.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee View Post
    He was

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Best and Roland for me ,natural talents
    Marvellous in Grange Hill, the second one