+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ole's gonna walk

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Ole's gonna walk

Ed Woodward took responsibility for United's transfer dealings in the summer of 2013, following the retirement of Alex Ferguson and the resignation of David Gill. The team had finished as Premier League champions in 2012/13.

Since Woodward took up his current position, United's finishing positions in the Premier League are as follows:

2013/14 - 7th
    2014/15 - 4th
    2015/16 - 5th
    2016/17 - 6th
    2017/18 - 2nd
    2018/19 - 6th

When they finished as runners-up in 2017/18, United were 19 points behind champions Manchester City.

The way people are talking about Solskjaer's reign, it's as if the club was in a decent position before he was brought in. It certainly wasn't. Manchester United have been in a mess for more than six years. During that time, Moyes, Giggs, van Gaal and Mourinho have all failed to turn them around. Now it appears almost certain that Solskjaer will also fail.

There's a common denominator here and it isn't Ole.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Ed Woodward took responsibility for United's transfer dealings in the summer of 2013, following the retirement of Alex Ferguson and the resignation of David Gill. The team had finished as Premier League champions in 2012/13.

Since Woodward took up his current position, United's finishing positions in the Premier League are as follows:

2013/14 - 7th
    2014/15 - 4th
    2015/16 - 5th
    2016/17 - 6th
    2017/18 - 2nd
    2018/19 - 6th

When they finished as runners-up in 2017/18, United were 19 points behind champions Manchester City.

The way people are talking about Solskjaer's reign, it's as if the club was in a decent position before he was brought in. It certainly wasn't. Manchester United have been in a mess for more than six years. During that time, Moyes, Giggs, van Gaal and Mourinho have all failed to turn them around. Now it appears almost certain that Solskjaer will also fail.

There's a common denominator here and it isn't Ole.
    Agree that Woodwood deserves most of the stick but they are worse under Ole than they were under the previous two managers. I don't even think it would be a stretch to say he's doing worse than Moyes.

If you watch them they look clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Agree that Woodwood deserves most of the stick but they are worse under Ole than they were under the previous two managers. I don't even think it would be a stretch to say he's doing worse than Moyes.

If you watch them they look clueless.
    Quite possibly. I watched them against Liverpool on Sunday and they looked pretty decent at times, but I haven't seen them much this season. However, what I will say is it's obvious that the club is currently rotten. The transfer policy since Ferguson left has been a disaster with some very high profile failures. Ole is almost certainly not the man to turn things around, but it's notable that a couple of the biggest names in the game also failed to do that.

If they do get rid of Solskjaer, who could they bring in? It's not going to be a simple fix by any means. But, to me at least, it seems obvious that Woodward's reign has been a disaster. If I was a high-profile manager who was in the running for the United job, I wouldn't even consider it until Woodward has been moved on.