+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Racism and Homophobia announcement - Was it us?

Re: Racism and Homophobia announcement - Was it us?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Apparently Reading have taken the words “racist” and “homophobic” out of their statement and replaced them with “discriminatory”.

It seems four people were interviewed over anti English chanting, homophobia doesn't even come into it. But thanks to Reading being quick to put an uninformed announcement over the PA we are seeing the national media inc the BBC post unproven headlines and worse, our own local media quick to look for the hits rather than the facts.

Nothing has been said about the Anti Welsh chanting coming in the other direction.

Reading's announcement to me seemed like a calculated move to dampen our support. And it had an effect. There was a noticeable change in the output from the away fans.
    During the game I said the exact same thing as your final sentence, our support was outstanding the first 20 minutes we created a very passionate almost hostile atmosphere in an away ground (possible due to their low attendance and our great numbers)

I felt the higher ups were getting concerned about our dominance of support within the stadium, and tried to play the race card as a way to pull the rug out from underneath us. Unfortunately it worked.

Yes I felt our support was sort of wounded by the announcement.
    It’s not nice, it certainly played on my mind in the ground and was definitely the talk over a half time beer.

Unfortunately there are racists among our supporters. You only have to look at Colonel's board for that. But the announcement at the game seemed out of place and I hope the club clear our name and make Reading look as silly as they are. Damage is already done though because Sky etc. have their headlines and won't follow up if it means us looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Whilst cardiff city has never suffered the endemic racist abuse dished out by the likes of leeds millwall and birmingham city in the past , we have had isolated racist abuse at cardiff city

You are just a town full of pakis ......at bradford city and Oldham fans , a city fan arrested at Scarborough for spitting on a black player , the black cambridge united captain getting the monkey chants in our seven two home defeat , bananas thrown at alex William's the black manchester city keeper

In recent years racial abuse is hardly ever heard at cardiff but there are one or two idiots
    Birmingham has a massive multi cultural fan base. Their hooligan element was also multi cultural.

My cousin used to play for them in the 90s and I went to a lot of their games home and away and whilst their fans had a reputation for trouble, same as ours, endemic racial abuse was certainly not something I would associate Birmingham City with.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    If it is that then it’s a fuss over nothing.
    Mark Bowen has zero links to Swansea City so I doubt it would be that somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post
    Birmingham has a massive multi cultural fan base. Their hooligan element was also multi cultural.

My cousin used to play for them in the 90s and I went to a lot of their games home and away and whilst their fans had a reputation for trouble, same as ours, endemic racial abuse was certainly not something I would associate Birmingham City with.
    It's funny that in areas that are more multi cultural, racism seems to be less of a problem. I lived in Cardiff for 2 years then moved up to the valleys, where I've found racism to be more of an issue.

When we played Swansea a few weeks ago, amongst a bit of back and forth and stick about the Union Jacks between both sets of fans, one of my mates said English bastards. One of the stewards had a word with him and said they’re either English, or bastards, but not both.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Nope. Never heard it stated over the tannoy.
    Apparently it was done to Millwall fans recently too

If its true that its due to anti-English stuff, why weren't Reading fans warned for anti-Welsh singing?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    Apparently Reading have taken the words “racist” and “homophobic” out of their statement and replaced them with “discriminatory”.

It seems four people were interviewed over anti English chanting, homophobia doesn't even come into it. But thanks to Reading being quick to put an uninformed announcement over the PA we are seeing the national media inc the BBC post unproven headlines and worse, our own local media quick to look for the hits rather than the facts.

Nothing has been said about the Anti Welsh chanting coming in the other direction.

Reading's announcement to me seemed like a calculated move to dampen our support. And it had an effect. There was a noticeable change in the output from the away fans.
    If this is true that’s disgraceful.
    A lad off our bus was detained until late last night, I was told at 1AM he was released without charge due to ‘mistaken identity’.

His father has to drive to Reading to pick him up as his wallet was on the bus.

No attempt was made toco tact us about his whereabouts ( he is an adult by the way) and even our own police seemed to know very little about it.

Farce.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's funny that in areas that are more multi cultural, racism seems to be less of a problem. I lived in Cardiff for 2 years then moved up to the valleys, where I've found racism to be more of an issue.
    Ninian Park was located in a multi cultural part of cardiff, bordered by grangetown, riverside and canton. We always had fans of all races from these area following us historically. Fans from the valleys where there aren’t many ethnic groups quickly realised this and were never racist at our games, those that were, were often put right in the nicest possible way, something I witnessed once or twice on the bob bank in the late 80’s when some valley commando was shouting black this or that. Racism is something that you’d see in white towns like swansea, not here. For authorities to try and insinuate cardiff City fans are racist is as mad as saying a club like Birmingham are.

Last time I went to Reading (2009 ish) they sent out coppers on horseback in front of our fans after the final whistle.
    They just don't like us do they.

They should ask Mark Bowen, he apparently heard it:

Bowen reaction

‘It’s unfortunate with the chanting. We had it at Millwall last weekend.
    Nobody likes to hear it.’

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

I don't know where Sludge is getting his idea that Birmingham is/was a racist club - he couldn't be any further from the truth, for reasons that you pointed out in your first paragraph.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Ninian Park was located in a multi cultural part of cardiff, bordered by grangetown, riverside and canton. We always had fans of all races from these area following us historically. Fans from the valleys where there aren’t many ethnic groups quickly realised this and were never racist at our games, those that were, were often put right in the nicest possible way, something I witnessed once or twice on the bob bank in the late 80’s when some valley commando was shouting black this or that. Racism is something that you’d see in white towns like swansea, not here. For authorities to try and insinuate cardiff City fans are racist is as mad as saying a club like Birmingham are.
    Have most definitely heard racist and bigoted crap spouted by Kairdiff accents too whilst following the city.

Last time for me was West Ham away last season, a decent sized bunch chanting and hurling about pretty vile anti Muslim and Asian bile.

It ain’t endemic, thankfully, but it exists.

Over the years I can't say I've heard much racism from our fans at all, particularly in terms of chants. More recently there was the adebayor chant at arsenal away which was sung by more than a handful but even that was what 10 years ago.

Homophobic chants were common at certain matchess until recently but only mostly when playing Brighton. Not heard them personally last few years but didn't go to Brighton away last season.

In a couple hundred people you will get racists and homophobes, let alone in 2000+ people. Unless it's a group chanting though then I think putting something like that over the pa system is just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    They should ask Mark Bowen, he apparently heard it:

Bowen reaction

‘It’s unfortunate with the chanting. We had it at Millwall last weekend.
    Nobody likes to hear it.’
    I've jut read a report with a bit before this saying Bowen didn't hear it.

Although Reading manager Mark Bowen admitted he was unaware of the incident, he said 'You hope and pray it's not creeping back into football, but nobody likes to hear it and it needs to be stamped out.'

Reading fan here (who didn't hear anything racist or homophobic) claiming it's the third time in a month they've had such announcements. Are Reading trying to clamp down on noisy away support?
    https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comm...m_medium=web2x

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Hamish. View Post
    I've jut read a report with a bit before this saying Bowen didn't hear it.

Although Reading manager Mark Bowen admitted he was unaware of the incident, he said 'You hope and pray it's not creeping back into football, but nobody likes to hear it and it needs to be stamped out.'
    OK, ta. Bit misleading headline used then.

Joke at Reading yesterday. Racism is one thing nobody can level at us.
    In my youth I used to regularly walk down from Ely to the City and back up again in a gang that could vary from 4 up to 20. We were like the League of Nations back then with all colours and creed.
    We’ d sometimes get into bother and have a few scrapes along the way, and we’d laugh at anything, but the different colours of our skin was the furthest thing from our minds.
    I can only vouch for Ely and Canton as they are the only 2 places I’ve lived, but I’d wager It’s the same all over the City.
    It’s one thing I’m so proud of about my home town.
    You will always get individual and isolated incidents, but as JtJ has posted above, they are very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Joke at Reading yesterday. Racism is one thing nobody can level at us.
    In my youth I used to regularly walk down from Ely to the City and back up again in a gang that could vary from 4 up to 20. We were like the League of Nations back then with all colours and creed.
    We’ d sometimes get into bother and have a few scrapes along the way, and we’d laugh at anything, but the different colours of our skin was the furthest thing from our minds.
    I can only vouch for Ely and Canton as they are the only 2 places I’ve lived, but I’d wager It’s the same all over the City.
    It’s one thing I’m so proud of about my home town.
    You will always get individual and isolated incidents, but as JtJ has posted above, they are very rare.
    ^^^This^^^

Apparently the chant in question was "Reading is a shithole, I want to go home.
    This is from a post online, from a father whose son was detained. If this is the future we may as well give up now.

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    This is from a post online, from a father whose son was detained. If this is the future we may as well give up now.
    I know, we have to go to places like stoke, Swansea, Luton, Barnsley, Blackburn and boro just to name a few who must hear this every week

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    Reading is a shithole though. It seems to be one big business estate where companies go if they don’t want to pay London prices.

I think we are all incredibly keen to make sure racist and homophobic chanting/insults are kept firmly out of football. It is abhorent and completely idiotic, so clubs taing action to stamp this out is totaly welcome. However, with this come enormous responsibilty to make sure all facts are checked and any announcements clubs make in the moment are in proportion to the events or incidents that have occured.

It is hugely damaging to the reputation of the supporters and club targeted if indeed the announcment is incorrect. Watching final score yesterday the BBC correspondent Jacqui Oatley (who if my powers of perception are right, absolutley f**king hates us with a passion, she is a Wolves fan...) led her match report with the news of this announcement communicating it to the entire nation. Since then all media outlets have jumped on this (and rightly so) and the club/support is now under emmense scrutiny.

Now, I personally think the anti-English chanting is beyond cringeworthy and makes us look small minded. I never join in with it, I live in England have an English partner and English mates. It would be pretty hypocritical of me if I did. As much as I disagree with it, there is a big distinction between that and Racist & Homophobic chanting. Reading have since changed their statement to discriminatory rather than Racist & Homophobic but the damage is done.

Wheter Racist & Homophobic or Discriminatory, it needs to be weeded out. Maybe this will make us think twice about what we chant about England (hard to change a habit of a lifetime though). I prefer when we own the anti-Welsh stuff like 'Sheep Shagging Bastards...we know what we are' or sing about how 'South Wales is wonderful...' at least it's more positive.

Hopefully more facts about the isolated incidents will emerge and the club will deal with it accordingly.