+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Canton Stand

The Canton Stand

Is it time for the rest of us to start booing their ridiculous anti Swansea & anti English songs? Embarrassing on times tonight, pro City songs sound great though.

Re: The Canton Stand

The rest as in Ninian, Grandstand and Grange?
    Hardly likely, those 3 stands hardly make a noise when we score.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Is it time for the rest of us to start booing their ridiculous anti Swansea & anti English songs? Embarrassing on times tonight, pro City songs sound great though.
    I'm with you there, the anti jack songs are pathetic and juvenile

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    The rest as in Ninian, Grandstand and Grange?
    Hardly likely, those 3 stands hardly make a noise when we score.
    We’re normally too busy cringing at the, what’s becoming, 75% songs about paedophilia and songs about England & shit with 25% pro City songs chucked in. It sounds absolutely dreadful and I want no part of it, it’s actually turning me off vocal City fans.

We’re normally too busy cringing at the, what’s becoming, 75% songs about paedophilia and songs about England & shit with 25% pro City songs chucked in. It sounds absolutely dreadful and I want no part of it, it’s actually turning me off vocal City fans.

The drum is ****ing shite too

It’s embarrassing, england run from Russia too. Terrible terrible chant.

Without the Canton there would be no atmosphere and this club would be on the floor - so many players and ex-players have talked about the fantastic support down here and there have been months where we haven't had anything to sing about really.

However, I recognise the issue being raised. Maybe if we don't join in with the songs that are about child abuse or hooligan behaviour but loudly sing all the others then the former will slowly die out and we can keep the fantastic atmosphere? That does mean that i) the drum recognises that we used to sing "bluebirds, bluebirds" when on top rather than *drum (x6)* "City" and therefore it's not always needed, ii) the east and west Canton listens to each other a bit more and doesn't compete because sometimes better songs are being drowned out by simpler versions, iii) other stands join in more.

Yes. I don't how many times I've said it on here and in the stand - We've got an English manager of a club founded by an Englishman, English players competing in an English competition FFS.

I have NEVER sang any anti-English songs because I think it makes those who do look thick as shit.

No Canton Stand Singers = NO atmosphere whatsoever. I would love this not to be the case and if the other stands put as much effort into singing as the Canton does then it wouldn't be. I do accept that we need to come up with some new original chants because some of ours are now boring.

The stand out thing is the lack of creativity & wittiness from our ‘singing section’. I hope I’m not looking through rose tinted glasses but us lot on the proper Grange End (not the rather sad concrete imitation)in the late 60s/early 70s seemed to have an array of pro City songs & chants, where’s the Canton Stand lad who could actually compose a ‘His Name Is Jimmy Scoular’ like song? We’re desperate for the brighter of our youngsters to get together and sort things out. Annoying when at away games we’ve tried to start ‘Oh When The Blues Go Marching In’ and it’s drowned out by the England is full of shit rubbish because that’s the only words they know to that tune. The fact is that the huge percentage of our songs aren’t supporting the team one bit.

The stand out thing is the lack of creativity & wittiness from our ‘singing section’. I hope I’m not looking through rose tinted glasses but us lot on the proper Grange End (not the rather sad concrete imitation)in the late 60s/early 70s seemed to have an array of pro City songs & chants, where’s the Canton Stand lad who could actually compose a ‘His Name Is Jimmy Scoular’ like song? We’re desperate for the brighter of our youngsters to get together and sort things out. Annoying when at away games we’ve tried to start ‘Oh When The Blues Go Marching In’ and it’s drowned out by the England is full of shit rubbish because that’s the only words they know to that tune. The fact is that the huge percentage of our songs aren’t supporting the team one bit.
    The Canton stand is 95% of the atmosphere in the ground in fairness to them.

But City have had a problem with their chants for years. Hardly any support the team/players and we sing the same 10 shite non city songs that have lost all novelty.

When was the last time we had a good original song? Even if we have a new one it's always nicked off another team.

"I'll be there" is being sung less and less frequently too.

Would be a nice change for the rest of the ground to actually make some noise

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Would be a nice change for the rest of the ground to actually make some noise
    ...and support the boys, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by B. Oddie View Post
    "I'll be there" is being sung less and less frequently too.
    The same small group who got the Bacuna song going, another borrowed one, are trying to get "When the coal comes from the Rhondda down the Taff trail railway line, I'll be there" sung but see my point about west Canton not hearing east Canton and drum supporting simplest songs only.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    The same small group who got the Bacuna song going, another borrowed one, are trying to get "When the coal comes from the Rhondda down the Taff trail railway line, I'll be there" sung but see my point about west Canton not hearing east Canton and drum supporting simplest songs only.
    The drum is dreadful, it stifles atmosphere as people start to rely on it to start songs

I think it’s a good thing that we’re having a talk about this, it’s something that certainly needs addressing. I’ve made my feelings known about the anti Swansea (particularly the child abuse one) & the anti English, ‘England run from Russia’ was pointed out earlier in the thread as a daft ditty. It’s been posted that the Canton provide the atmosphere but surely there’s such a thing as a bad atmosphere and it seemed as though the emptiness of the ground highlighted it last night. There was a chap with his young son sat by me in the grandstand and he was visibly wincing as the paedophile song was sung, and it was sung repeatedly last night, (why, against Reading, God knows?). Would be great if a crowd of decent lads in the Canton got together and as soon as such a song starts they countered with ‘Bluebirds, Bluebirds, or ‘Pick and Shovel’ and continue to do it every time a non City related song reared it’s ugly head.

There was a chap with his young son sat by me in the grandstand and he was visibly wincing as the paedophile song was sung.
    I went on my own last night and stood in my usual place in 105. The usual people behind me weren't there, instead was a bloke with his son aged perhaps 40 & 10 respectively. I got talking to them and he said he hasn't been to watch Cardiff for years but fancied it recently so brought his boy in the hope that he'd get into it and they could come more often etc.

The paedo song started and I could feel his embarrassment. I felt uncomfortable for him as well. They left around the 70th minute. Two potential future money paying fans will now probably not come back.

A quick look around showed *some* men with their kids signing it! Unbelievable.

Anyone who sings it should be ashamed of themselves IMO.