+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abusive chanting at Barnsley.

Re: Abusive chanting at Barnsley.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Is that needed? If majority don't sing it but are willing to start and/or sing other songs then tedious stuff will die out. Pro-Cardiff, pro-Welsh stuff would be much, much better.
    Tried it a few seasons ago at Fratton Park, if I remember correctly, a few of us started up ‘Oh When The Blues Go Marching In’ but it quickly morphed into ‘Oh England.......etc’. Annoying that for some of our lot it’s the only words that they know to that song. Compared to how we were on the old Grange End late 60s/early 70s our current singing section is absolutely abysmal, negative songs far outweigh the positive. That’s not looking back with rose tinted glasses, if you are old enough to have been there you’d know it’s the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Tried it a few seasons ago at Fratton Park, if I remember correctly, a few of us started up ‘Oh When The Blues Go Marching In’ but it quickly morphed into ‘Oh England.......etc’. Annoying that for some of our lot it’s the only words that they know to that song. Compared to how we were on the old Grange End late 60s/early 70s our current singing section is absolutely abysmal, negative songs far outweigh the positive. That’s not looking back with rose tinted glasses, if you are old enough to have been there you’d know it’s the truth.
    A lot of the younger element these days get so off their faces, some just there for the bovver, they cannot focus on or are not even bothered with the football.

That's not to say that they weren't back in the day mind. At least then one could have it off with little come back.
    Nowadays the stakes are too high so singing and shouting abuse is the nearest they get to any "fun".

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    They are trying to make Cardiff look anti English and racist, when as we all know we are the brunt of loads of abuse at every away game and have been for years.
    There is plenty of stuff going back and forth and I have no problem with it being stopped because we can call it out as being tedious and, some of it, crossing over into discriminatory language. I do have concerns that Cardiff fans singing to 12,000 Barnsley fans makes any sort of headline whereas Snickers engaging in anti-Welsh banter to an audience of 373,000 plus doesn't register outside of Wales or a serious discussion about language on Sky prompts the same sort of "banter" from Sky news and a very reluctant half-apology only is made - just two of the more recent examples.

Or, perhaps more seriously, Carole Cadwalladr (Observer) makes a speech to the Senedd making the point that to the UK media Wales doesn't exist, it therefore doesn't matter to central government, and there is no recognition across the bridge that this is wrong. But Cardiff City fans sing some tedious songs and Reading FC decides to call us racist with it appearing on the BBC webpage....

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0DwRsgNTtc)

Cardiff City fans, as Cardiff City fans, have almost no influence and no reach and yet our negative sons are being picked up on whereas those who do have influence and reach and are making the same tedious jokes, if any attention whatsoever is given, in our direction get to laugh it off as "banter" without anyone making further comment. What is going on here? Why is there now an anti-Welsh government movement within Wales too and where has that come from? Is this linked?

In defence of our away fans, how nice it was that any good moment was welcomed with call of "bluebirds, bluebirds" rather than the drum taking over.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    A lot of the younger element these days get so off their faces, some just there for the bovver, they cannot focus on or are not even bothered with the football.

That's not to say that they weren't back in the day mind. At least then one could have it off with little come back.
    Nowadays the stakes are too high so singing and shouting abuse is the nearest they get to any "fun".
    I know plenty that just turn up for the away day and don't support us.

Quote Originally Posted by dembethewarrior View Post
    I know plenty that just turn up for the away day and don't support us.
    At Luton and at Stoke in recent weeks I managed to be surrounded by lads who spent all game shouting at the home fans. Standing sideways and yelling at them telling them how rubbish their 'firms' are and offering them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    At Luton and at Stoke in recent weeks I managed to be surrounded by lads who spent all game shouting at the home fans. Standing sideways and yelling at them telling them how rubbish their 'firms' are and offering them out.
    It's embarrassing. Like I said, I know loads of lads who use our away days to go on the piss/drug binge days out.

The only thing that will stop this is self policing .......you have to pretty confident of your self defence capabilities to have a word with a coked up steroid head .....or the club sending out leaflets to warn fans they are being filmed and any offensive chanting or gestures are crimes under the public order act .....at every away game ......these could be handed out by our travelling stewards at the turnstiles .....its a start

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I see it as pro-anglophobe as opposed to anti-english.

English pride is unapologetic in it’s arrogance. Being proud of such a tarnished history is bad enough.

They have earned the jibes and repulsion. And it’s not only the Welsh that recognize these things that have made England ugly.

They’ll become heavy handed in their reprisals in the name of the nation and we’ll get locked up for daring to mouth off.

That place is becoming even more culturally stagnant and it’ll drag us down with it.
    I've lived in many locations in England and I can't say I recognise this very jaundiced perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    The only thing that will stop this is self policing .......you have to pretty confident of your self defence capabilities to have a word with a coked up steroid head .....or the club sending out leaflets to warn fans they are being filmed and any offensive chanting or gestures are crimes under the public order act .....at every away game ......these could be handed out by our travelling stewards at the turnstiles .....its a start
    Won't do a lot. Most that go away don't care and turn up for the day out, there's no responsibility attached.

It's embarrassing. Like I said, I know loads of lads who use our away days to go on the piss/drug binge days out.
    It's been like it since the 70s i cant help but think most posters moaning about it are either forgetting they used to do it or they wasn't going back then..
    I cannot imagine some of you coping with the chants back then

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    It's been like it since the 70s i cant help but think most posters moaning about it are either forgetting they used to do it or they wasn't going back then..
    Been the way as long as I remember. Piss heads joining in for an awayday. Our numbers have always been inflated by mates of mates turning up for a piss up.

I get annoyed by our fans singing "XXXX is a shithole, I want to go home" the moment the game starts. Often the place isn't a shithole and if that's how they feel every time the leave Cardiff then just stay at home.

Won't do a lot. Most that go away don't care and turn up for the day out, there's no responsibility attached.
    A dawn swoop of arrests for fans regarding offensive chanting caught on camera and microphone will be a start

Most of our fans who go away are loyal as they come and dont sing abusive songs about child abuse

Quote Originally Posted by stan butler View Post
    You’ve answered it yourself. Been going on since the 70’s and it’s so ****ing boring now.!!
    Let’s move on.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    A dawn swoop of arrests for fans reg noarding offensive chanting caught on camera and microphone will be a start

Most of our fans who go away are loyal as they come and dont sing abusive songs about child abuse
    I know a lot of good Cardiff. Agree.

I'm just pointing out we get hangers on. They obviously join in with the negative chant's

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Sky sports news headline tonight is discriminatory chanting by cardiff fans! Is this true or just another over reaction like Reading? Can anyone confirm?
    Official comment from Barnsley FC. Seems they were fined recently for not having a policy on this so they're making it obvious they now do.

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2020/march/statement/

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    I've lived in many locations in England and I can't say I recognise this very jaundiced perspective.
    Agree have lived in england for over 10 years and he's talking small minded bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    You’ve answered it yourself. Been going on since the 70’s and it’s so ****ing boring now.!!
    Let’s move on.
    Yep makes away games boring for me, same chants for the last 20 years.

People going to get pissed and shout at some people in a different stand without ever watching a minute of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by cityhammer View Post
    Sky sports news headline tonight is discriminatory chanting by cardiff fans! Is this true or just another over reaction like Reading? Can anyone confirm?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mansfield View Post
    Official comment from Barnsley FC. Seems they were fined recently for not having a policy on this so they're making it obvious they now do.

https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/2020/march/statement/
    We should have a separate repository for all the Sky Sports related stuff.
    It's as though they hire a load of daily mail type reporters to visit every ground with the sole aim of finding out "news".

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    I get annoyed by our fans singing "XXXX is a shithole, I want to go home" the moment the game starts. Often the place isn't a shithole and if that's how they feel every time the leave Cardiff then just stay at home.
    ...and "Your support is fecking sh#t"!

How to build bridges, eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    ...and "Your support is fecking sh#t"!

How to build bridges, eh!
    I just don't understand how people still laugh their heads off when they're singing these too. They've been sung for way over 10 years and they stopped being funny almost immediately.