+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

International

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Covid-19: India added to red list 'may be too late', Prof Mark Walport says.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56813025

Will the UK government please wake up. We are an island nation so ought to be ideally placed when it comes to isolating ourselves from these new variants. Between 25 March and 7 April alone, there were 3,345 arrivals from India!
    The professor who deals with checking the different strains was just on World at One and despite Sarah Montague trying to make her say it was a disaster she actually said that the Indian strain is not a great cause for concern at the moment only a problem for the checkers,
    She said the UK has the finest gene checking equipment in the world and can find and isolate cases, and together with tracing and testing it can be controlled. no cause for panic. She actually said the Kent strain was the one of most concern.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    The professor who deals with checking the different strains was just on World at One and despite Sarah Montague trying to make her say it was a disaster she actually said that the Indian strain is not a great cause for concern at the moment only a problem for the checkers,
    She said the UK has the finest gene checking equipment in the world and can find and isolate cases, and together with tracing and testing it can be controlled. no cause for panic. She actually said the Kent strain was the one of most concern.
    Well, as long as the Indian strain can be controlled with the UK's 'world class test and trace system', all will be well!

Thank you for the reassurance.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Well, as long as the Indian strain can be controlled with the UK's 'world class test and trace system', all will be well!

Thank you for the reassurance.
    Exactly!

you know the rules of this thread, only negative covid stories and anti government posts

International

My missus had her first vaccine today down the bay. pfiser!
    She arranged 3 days off a, because it covers her birthday and b, because she was determined to be sick after it.
    Now she is all upset because there's absolutely nothing wrong with her so she can't moan on whatsapp to her sisters .

Seems Drakeford set to bring forward opening for indoor pubs and dining.

Announcement due on Friday with May 17th likely date.

Good news from an ONS and Oxford University survey, which has a very large sample but has not been peer reviewed yet, about the effectiveness of a single vaccine jab in the UK;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56844220

Data for Wales shows that there were 461 cases of Covid reported in the last 7 days and 127 cases admitted to hospital during the same period. Whilst the data is not directly comparable there does appear to be a high percentage of those with Covid ending up in hospital.

When compared to UK data 10.6% of all Covid admissions to hospital in the last 7 days were from Wales. Considering we make up about 5% of the UK population the figure is high.

I wonder why?

International

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Data for Wales shows that there were 461 cases of Covid reported in the last 7 days and 127 cases admitted to hospital during the same period. Whilst the data is not directly comparable there does appear to be a high percentage of those with Covid ending up in hospital.

When compared to UK data 10.6% of all Covid admissions to hospital in the last 7 days were from Wales. Considering we make up about 5% of the UK population the figure is high.

I wonder why?
    It's a cunning Drakeford plan, sending them to hospital even if they don't really need to go so he can use the figures as an excuse for not opening the pubs.

TL;DR: because the UK came into the pandemic with families in a more vulnerable position, it has fared worse since the onset of crisis.

those vulnerable prior to the pandemic have suffered the most...

...all this means the lasting impact of the pandemic is going to be higher inequality.

Policy makers will need to act ahead of the next crisis.

https://twitter.com/JamesSmithRF/sta...41113229942788
    Interesting thread.

International

I wonder why?
    It doesn't necesarily mean that all the people admitted to hospital in the period were from the 461 cases diagnose. A lot of them may have been diagnosed previously and just deteriorated to the point where they need hospital attention. and of course the fact that they are hospitalised does not mean they are all on ventilators or taking up critical care beds. Perhaps bringing them in earlier is preventing the need for that.

I wonder why?
    I think it would be difficult to draw too many conclusions from that, as the numbers are getting smaller now you're likely to see more fluctuations in wales' % compared to the rest of the UK. Wales does have a slightly older, poorer population, with more underlying health problems, but it's more likely just standard variance in the data. I don't think people in Wales are being hospitalised under different criteria than England or anything like that. # Looking at the total period is obviously more stable in terms of data - and it does appear that Wales has fared better than the UK overall in terms of the proportion of deaths due to Covid - in fact if Wales had performed in line with the UK average, there would likely be an additional 1000 people to have died by now.

After nearly a month with no posts on this thread, it seems Governments in the UK are being urged by the scientific community to ease back on the lifting of restrictions in the light of the arrival of the Indian variant in this country - some of the figures appearing in this article are pretty frightening;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-third-wave-uk

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ax-covid-rules

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    After nearly a month with no posts on this thread, it seems Governments in the UK are being urged by the scientific community to ease back on the lifting of restrictions in the light of the arrival of the Indian variant in this country - some of the figures appearing in this article are pretty frightening;-

Government only have themselves to blame on this, no way should people have been able to fly here from India and not quarantine, absolute madness, again.....will they ever learn.

Also reckon if we had to go into another lockdown just as we finally coming out it would be the end of this Tory government, probably see the economy finally collapse aswell.

On a more positive note....

Health minister Edward Argar told the BBC on Saturday there had been a "minor increase" in hospital presentations in Bolton - one of the areas where the Indian variant is spreading - mainly among unvaccinated 35-65 year olds.

International

Both those articles are basically saying the same thing.
    Whilst the worst case scenario is of course possible, it is by no means certain that it will happen, and the spike in cases looks large now because case levels are so low, additionally the expectation is that if it does take hold it will push the kent variant out, which means indian variant cases will not be just additional but in place of a lot of the numbers we see now. Also the situation we are in now is vastly different to the infection rate that caused the last wave. There is, so far, no reason to believe that vaccination will not prevent death and/or serious illness, and that is the main reasons for lockdown, to prevent the NHS from being over whelmed.

The articles seek to put the worst possible spin on the situation. Why do I say that? Because of the numerous use of words like 'if' 'could' 'may' 'might' 'possible' and others like them. But then that is journalism, a bad story is always better than a good one.

Both those articles are basically saying the same thing.
    Whilst the worst case scenario is of course possible, it is by no means certain that it will happen, and the spike in cases looks large now because case levels are so low, additionally the expectation is that if it does take hold it will push the kent variant out, which means indian variant cases will not be just additional but in place of a lot of the numbers we see now. Also the situation we are in now is vastly different to the infection rate that caused the last wave. There is, so far, no reason to believe that vaccination will not prevent death and/or serious illness, and that is the main reasons for lockdown, to prevent the NHS from being over whelmed.

The articles seek to put the worst possible spin on the situation. Why do I say that? Because of the numerous use of words like 'if' 'could' 'may' 'might' 'possible' and others like them. But then that is journalism, a bad story is always better than a good one.
    It’s a lefty rag too so likes to cause panic. Looking a bit more deeply into it, only people who haven’t bothered to get vaccinated are getting ill

I see the usual suspects are refusing to accept something because, despite the quotes in the articles, they appear in the wrong paper, is this source okay for you?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...l-ban-12307691

International

I see the usual suspects are refusing to accept something because, despite the quotes in the articles, they appear in the wrong paper, is this source okay for you?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...l-ban-12307691
    I assume from this post that you are attempting to politicise my comments again. For someone who claims to be largely non-political and even handed in your posts you do a remarkably good job of hiding the fact.
    I. for one, (And as I take it you are referring to me...... basically because you make the remark "ALL the usual suspects" when only I had responded. Bit of a give-away that!) made no comment about the source of the articles only that they put the worst possible spin on the available information, because that is what journalists do, it makes a better story, and the scientists will always tell you the worst possible effect of anything, like your doctor saying /2you mustn't drink whilst taking thse" every time he gives you tablets, it's a knee jerk reaction and normally nonsense, my own doctor admitted that to me.
    I prefer to look on the brighter side and hope that things work out OK. There is just as much chance of that as of the other and I don't want to be totally depressed waiting for something that may never happen. When it does, then I'll get depressed.

So again, it has nothing to do with what paper it's in, its what it says that I commented on. But whilst we're on the subject, there have been several articles in the same paper in the last week seriously attacking the failings of My Starmer and his party. I notice 'none of the usual suspects' have uttered one word of comment about those. odd isn't it? (You see I read it too)

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Also reckon if we had to go into another lockdown just as we finally coming out it would be the end of this Tory government, probably see the economy finally collapse aswell.
    As Labour have received reflected credit for the handling of the pandemic in Wales does that mean the Labour government in Wales will fail also or is it a case of when things go well Drakeford and Co receive reflected glory and when things go wrong it's the fault of the Tories?

@
    I assume from this post that you are attempting to politicise my comments again. For someone who claims to be largely non-political and even handed in your posts you do a remarkably good job of hiding the fact.
    I. for one, (And as I take it you are referring to me...... basically because you make the remark "ALL the usual suspects" when only I had responded. Bit of a give-away that!) made no comment about the source of the articles only that they put the worst possible spin on the available information, because that is what journalists do, it makes a better story, and the scientists will always tell you the worst possible effect of anything, like your doctor saying /2you mustn't drink whilst taking thse" every time he gives you tablets, it's a knee jerk reaction and normally nonsense, my own doctor admitted that to me.
    I prefer to look on the brighter side and hope that things work out OK. There is just as much chance of that as of the other and I don't want to be totally depressed waiting for something that may never happen. When it does, then I'll get depressed.

So again, it has nothing to do with what paper it's in, its what it says that I commented on. But whilst we're on the subject, there have been several articles in the same paper in the last week seriously attacking the failings of My Starmer and his party. I notice 'none of the usual suspects' have uttered one word of comment about those. odd isn't it? (You see I read it too)
    When have I said I’m even handed when posting on politics? I like to think I am on most subjects on here, but anyone who reads what I post on politics can’t be under the impression that I am when it comes to this subject - the difference between us is that I’m prepared to make that admission.

Surely the style in which someone’s quotes or a scientific report is covered is less important than what the quotes or reports say?

Two people replied to my original post not one.

International

@

When have I said I’m even handed when posting on politics? I like to think I am on most subjects on here, but anyone who reads what I post on politics can’t be under the impression that I am when it comes to this subject - the difference between us is that I’m prepared to make that admission.

Surely the style in which someone’s quotes or a scientific report is covered is less important than what the quotes or reports say?

Two people replied to my original post not one.
    The point was that my post had nothing what so ever to do with politics or the politics of the paper the articles appeared in. You put that interpretation on it for your own purposes.
    all the scientific reports are based on, if and maybe, giving different results if different things happen, but some (Most) journalists jump on the worst case scenario and try to flog it as impending doom. They have been doing it all along with varying levels of success. It's almost like either "we told you so" if the worst case occurs or "It's only because we warned people about the looming disaster that we avoided it" if it doesn't, so which ever happens they can pat themselves on the back and feel clever.
    It's a load of bollox. Why don't the print an article that states the best possible outcome? Because it doesn't sell papers.
    Remember all the scare stories about the madness of opening schools again, and the actual result?

Kent variant* still currently dominant in Wales with 166 new cases this week compared to 6 new cases of currently spoken about Indian variant* but this suggest a second Indian variant* is being investigated as well: https://twitter.com/LloydCymru/statu...022275/photo/1

(*colloquial titles based on variant first identified in these locations and not necessarily where variant emerged).