+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Do you have any older evidence to back that up though... Perhaps a cave painting?
    It was the only evidence I could find to cover the pandemic as a whole and not just one issue in order to see where a justification for the statement that Wales was doing far better than England had originated. However, on vaccine rollout, the position at the 24 January is that England had vaccinated 79.7% first doses as opposed to 62.1% in Wales although there has probably been some catch up in Wales since then. Figures here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833

However, I don't see from any of the statistics provided that Wales is doing "far" better than England as alleged. Marginally better on vaccine rollout on a 7 day rolling average per 100000 of the population according to the Peter Gillibrand figures but not far better. That was the point although the figures I provided earlier, though old, do not show Wales in a very good light..

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    It was the only evidence I could find to cover the pandemic as a whole and not just one issue in order to see where a justification for the statement that Wales was doing far better than England had originated. However, on vaccine rollout, the position at the 24 January is that England had vaccinated 79.7% first doses as opposed to 62.1% in Wales although there has probably been some catch up in Wales since then. Figures here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833

However, I don't see from any of the statistics provided that Wales is doing "far" better than England as alleged. Marginally better on vaccine rollout on a 7 day rolling average per 100000 of the population according to the Peter Gillibrand figures but not far better. That was the point although the figures I provided earlier, though old, do not show Wales in a very good light..
    Your figures from December are completely irrelevant in this situation, and even 'Marginally better' based on the speed that the UK has rolled the vaccine out, is very good news indeed. I'm sure that you can concede that much.

Backpeddling world champion

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Its now the 4th February. We are at rates last seen in October.

We are in a better place than England.

The way things are heading we could be under 100/100000 by the next review.
    There is a 7 day lag so we probably are already

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Backpeddling world champion
    The difference is that I answered the question by providing information; where did I backpedal? I was answering the Wales is doing "far" better question. There was no backpedaling (correct spelling).

Changing the subject to spelling now!

Changing the subject to spelling now!
    Apart from being juvenile, that's a pathetic response and doesn't answer the question asked as you well know. To be clear how do the figures show Wales is doing far better? They are doing well but the figures fluctuate from week to week on vaccine rollout. If that is inaccurate please elucidate instead of mocking a perfectly reasonable question. Our previous exchanges where you have been caught out for exaggerating, which you later admitted, is another example of your shallow responses.

From yesterday.

https://gov.wales/slides-and-dataset...uary-2021-html

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Thanks. That proves my point that Wales is not doing far better than England but far better than Scotland. Wales on a 7 day average between 26 January to 2 February is doing better than England but not far better. Prior to those dates England was doing marginally better but I have to admit that, despite a shaky start, Wales is now rolling out the vaccine well.

What do you define as “far better”?

I’ve not even got a horse in the race but looking at that link wales have been doing significantly better than England since the 27th of January.

Unless you’ve never complained about wales being worse than England you can’t say they aren’t doing far better now.

I’ve not even got a horse in the race but looking at that link wales have been doing significantly better than England since the 27th of January.

Unless you’ve never complained about wales being worse than England you can’t say they aren’t doing far better now.
    It looks about 15% better to me

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    It looks about 15% better to me
    Shit everyone knows that’s only much better

Slightly better >5%
    Much better >10%
    Far better >16%!

When I was talking about our schools being able to go back sooner as its better in Wales than England I was referring our infection rate.

By mid February we will likely be under 100/100000.

England are not as well positioned.

Both are doing a great rollout with the vaccines.

Initially in Tier 4 schools could open then things got worse. Wales figures could be at Tier 2 levels in a few weeks so while we should be cautious theres an argument that we can start opening before most places in England as they look a few weeks maybe behind in getting infection rates down.

The highest current South Wales County, Carmarthen, with a 7 day rate of 147.3 would be in the lowest 30 of the 315 English Counties by comparison.

Im sure ive read Drakeford saying they may look at a UK route for coming out of lockdown. Which if he does his tier system will be out of the window.

When I was talking about our schools being able to go back sooner as its better in Wales than England I was referring our infection rate.

By mid February we will likely be under 100/100000.

England are not as well positioned.

Both are doing a great rollout with the vaccines.

Initially in Tier 4 schools could open then things got worse. Wales figures could be at Tier 2 levels in a few weeks so while we should be cautious theres an argument that we can start opening before most places in England as they look a few weeks maybe behind in getting infection rates down.
    I think schools will be phased back in after half term.

I can see us being slower to open up the rest and fall into line with England as we are under no pressure with the furlough scheme if it was Wales in a worse position than England.

France and Spain which have both had strict lockdowns throughout the winter months have today seen higher new cases than the UK. Spain has actually seen cases rise continuously since early summer. There are times when I get the impression that despite the confident and knowledgeable -looking scientists delivering their verdicts on a daily basis across Europe, they really don't have much of an idea how to stop it. Thank God for vaccinations..

I have tried hard not to criticise the government over their handling of the pandemic on the grounds that it is an unscripted and unprecedented situation but the quarantining of visitors, or rather lack of, is a matter that cannot go unchallenged. Finally, 50 days after the new COVID virus variant arrived, HM Gov has decided to try the hotel quarantine scheme:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55935875

The UK is an island for heaven's sake so surely the easiest to isolate?

Also who the heck are these 20,000+ people who arrive here EVERY DAY apparently? I thought it was a "small number" according to Boris, so insignificant in fact that quarantining them would make no difference! What a joke.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I have tried hard not to criticise the government over their handling of the pandemic on the grounds that it is an unscripted and unprecedented situation but the quarantining of visitors, or rather lack of, is a matter that cannot go unchallenged. Finally, 50 days after the new COVID virus variant arrived, HM Gov has decided to try the hotel quarantine scheme:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55935875

The UK is an island for heaven's sake so surely the easiest to isolate?

Also who the heck are these 20,000+ people who arrive here EVERY DAY apparently? I thought it was a "small number" according to Boris, so insignificant in fact that quarantining them would make no difference! What a joke.
    Something like 3/4 of the people who arrive in Heathrow every nomal day never leave the airport. When you think that there is a plane landing about every minute that's an awful lot of people coming into contact with cabin crews and airport staff but not staying to be quarantined. By comparison the 1/4 that does stay is a small number

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Something like 3/4 of the people who arrive in Heathrow every nomal day never leave the airport. When you think that there is a plane landing about every minute that's an awful lot of people coming into contact with cabin crews and airport staff but not staying to be quarantined. By comparison the 1/4 that does stay is a small number
    By comparison to the population of the UK the 21,000 that leave ports and airports every day to move around the country is an even smaller number. But by comparison to the number of people who can fit into a Mini Metro it is a massive number! This numbers and comparisons game is right good!

Transiting airline passengers is a different issue. The numbers may be bigger (if you say so) but how does that diminish the threat associated with porous borders 11 months after the pandemic started?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    3/4 of people don't leave the airport - can you provide a reference for that please? Assuming you are correct then, I would disagree that 5000 people a day is a small number! That'll only be a mere 175,000 then since January 1st.

Just watched Oliver Dowden on Question Time giving us the usual nonsense about the UK having real draconian measures already in place - you're having a laugh mate.

Yes I am not Drakeford's biggest fan but they are doing much better now.

Although that is probably down to Gethin rather than Drakeford.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    France and Spain which have both had strict lockdowns throughout the winter months have today seen higher new cases than the UK. Spain has actually seen cases rise continuously since early summer. There are times when I get the impression that despite the confident and knowledgeable -looking scientists delivering their verdicts on a daily basis across Europe, they really don't have much of an idea how to stop it. Thank God for vaccinations..
    France and Spain haven’t had strict full lockdowns at all, there is currently a debate in France about whether they do need a full lockdown like the U.K. has had. They’ve both had curfews but in France you are still able to travel to other regions.

Both have had schools open too.

You only have to look at the numbers in the U.K. since Christmas to see the effect a full lockdown has.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    3/4 of people don't leave the airport - can you provide a reference for that please? Assuming you are correct then, I would disagree that 5000 people a day is a small number! That'll only be a mere 175,000 then since January 1st.

Just watched Oliver Dowden on Question Time giving us the usual nonsense about the UK having real draconian measures already in place - you're having a laugh mate.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ow-airport-uk/

Two thirds leave the airport. Of those in transit I would presume a reasonable percentage end up at a UK regional airport as their final destination.