+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ow-airport-uk/

Two thirds leave the airport. Of those in transit I would presume a reasonable percentage end up at a UK regional airport as their final destination.
    That's a more believable figure but unfortunately the report you cite is not up to date as it only covers 2002 - 2019.

Even if we just accept the 5000 per day figure, why are all these people coming here? I am not allowed to visit my next door neighbour!

You only have to quarantine from the 33 risk countries don’t you? Mostly African or S America

Angola

Argentina

Bolivia

Botswana

Brazil

Burundi

Cape Verde

Chile

Colombia

Democratic Republic of Congo

Ecuador

Eswatini

French Guiana

Guyana

Lesotho

Malawi

Mauritius

Mozambique

Namibia

Panama

Paraguay

Peru

Portugal (including Madeira and the Azores)

Rwanda

Seychelles

South Africa

Suriname

Tanzania

United Arab Emirates

Uruguay

Venezuela

Zambia

Zimbabwe

Everyone should quarantine, no matter what country.

International

There was a professor on the BBC yesterday that said if you interrogate the real numbers available now it seems that christmas, contrary to popular belief actually had the effect of slowing the virus spread. This is because people stayed in their homes, no one, even those who normally do weren't working or travelling, and the virus had fewer places to spread.

I know some on here won't like that, but he said if not for chrsitmas the toll could be higher.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    There was a professor on the BBC yesterday that said if you interrogate the real numbers available now it seems that christmas, contrary to popular belief actually had the effect of slowing the virus spread. This is because people stayed in their homes, no one, even those who normally do weren't working or travelling, and the virus had fewer places to spread.

I know some on here won't like that, but he said if not for chrsitmas the toll could be higher.
    I get what the professor is saying but I don't understand your remark at the end.

Do we need to thank Christians or Boris Johnson for the toll being low around Christmas?

Thinly veiled dig at the Jehovahs.

I'm struggling to understand what your point is here?

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ow-airport-uk/

Two thirds leave the airport. Of those in transit I would presume a reasonable percentage end up at a UK regional airport as their final destination.
    Surely they all leave the airport one way or another. They can't all be washing their goolies in the sinks there for the rest of perpetuity

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Surely they all leave the airport one way or another. They can't all be washing their goolies in the sinks there for the rest of perpetuity
    Tom Hanks and "The Terminal" comes to mind.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I get what the professor is saying but I don't understand your remark at the end.

Do we need to thank Christians or Boris Johnson for the toll being low around Christmas?
    I thought you wouldn't like it.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I'm struggling to understand what your point is here?
    hat so many people were saying that what was allowed at christmas caused a surge in infactions/hositalisations/ deaths and now they have the figures it appears that isn't so.

Heisenberg

I thought you wouldn't like it.
    Honestly, I'm not being difficult here. Your point is very unclear.

If you could explain what you meant then maybe I wouldn't like it... But, as it stands, I don't even understand it (and it appears a few others don't either).

I know you hate being asked to answer for yourself when you've made a post about something... but maybe you could have a go this time for the sake of clarity?

Heisenberg

hat so many people were saying that what was allowed at christmas caused a surge in infactions/hositalisations/ deaths and now they have the figures it appears that isn't so.
    Ahhh ok... It makes sense now.

You didn't mention things that people were allowed to do during Christmas in your post earlier, just things that people didn't do over the Christmas period.

Not sure how you have conflated the two though.

International

Ahhh ok... It makes sense now.

You didn't mention things that people were allowed to do during Christmas in your post earlier, just things that people didn't do over the Christmas period.

Not sure how you have conflated the two though.
    You like that word don't you? The professor didn't mention what people were allowed to do, he only mentioned what they didn't do, and I was merely paraphrasing his remarks.
    One way or the other is seems that whatever was allowed or not done at christmas time (or a combination of both) seems to have had a beneficial effect on things as opposed to the bad effect people were keen to state it would or did have.

Heisenberg

You like that word don't you? The professor didn't mention what people were allowed to do, he only mentioned what they didn't do, and I was merely paraphrasing his remarks.
    One way or the other is seems that whatever was allowed or not done at christmas time (or a combination of both) seems to have had a beneficial effect on things as opposed to the bad effect people were keen to state it would or did have.
    What word?
    Here's what I don't understand... You said whatever was allowed had a beneficial effect. How do you work that out? It may not have had the drastic effect that some were predicting... But beneficial?! No chance.

International

What word?
    Here's what I don't understand... You said whatever was allowed had a beneficial effect. How do you work that out? It may not have had the drastic effect that some were predicting... But beneficial?! No chance.
    Thats the term he used. People enjoying chisitmas at home and not doing things like catching trains buses etc and not going to work in factories office and so on had a benefical effect on the numbers, as in didn't made them worse than they would have been but in fact helped to supress them.
    I know you know what was meant but you're just being a pedant so we'll end our cchat.

Heisenberg

Thats the term he used. People enjoying chisitmas at home and not doing things like catching trains buses etc and not going to work in factories office and so on had a benefical effect on the numbers, as in didn't made them worse than they would have been but in fact helped to supress them.
    I know you know what was meant but you're just being a pedant so we'll end our cchat.
    Not being pedantic at all. You're just missing my point.

Lockdown had a beneficial effect. We can both agree on that. The things you've mentioned are due to the lockdown.

The criticism aimed at the Govt. was allowing mixing households at Christmas.

Do you think the professor was saying that allowing mixing households had a beneficial effect?

How about posting a link to the professor's comments, then we can all form our own opinions about it?

International

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    How about posting a link to the professor's comments, then we can all form our own opinions about it?
    Can't or I would 'ave done. I was on World at 1. Radio 4.
    But whats to form an opinion about? People alrady have their opinions. This just what 1 professor said. It is what it is.

Can't or I would 'ave done. I was on World at 1. Radio 4.
    But whats to form an opinion about? People alrady have their opinions. This just what 1 professor said. It is what it is.
    I was just trying to form a clearer picture of the point you were trying to make. If I remember correctly the Christmas relaxation of rules only applied to Christmas day anyway, so no one would have been in factories or on buses in any case

International

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    I was just trying to form a clearer picture of the point you were trying to make. If I remember correctly the Christmas relaxation of rules only applied to Christmas day anyway, so no one would have been in factories or on buses in any case
    The point he was making was that many people were saying that allowing a relaxed semi-lockdown over the christmas was the cause of the high number of infections but in reality the figures showed that the opposite was the case.
    I'm sorry if you don't get that, I'm bored with this now.

The point he was making was that many people were saying that allowing a relaxed semi-lockdown over the christmas was the cause of the high number of infections but in reality the figures showed that the opposite was the case.
    I'm sorry if you don't get that, I'm bored with this now.
    No, allowing people to do whatever they wanted to in the 3-4 weeks before Christmas was the cause of the spike, cases were far higher then in my area than they are now and we were under no real restrictions at all.

Everyone seems to be in agreement that the roll out of vaccines is being handled well, but, as for rewriting history and trying to claim that UK Government dithering and inaction regarding Christmas was somehow a good thing, forget it.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Everyone seems to be in agreement that the roll out of vaccines is being handled well, but, as for rewriting history and trying to claim that UK Government dithering and inaction regarding Christmas was somehow a good thing, forget it.
    I has nothing to do with government, what he was saying was because people were moving around less because of the christmas break there was less passing on of infections so if christmas hadn't happened the numbers would have been even higher. That's all.

I has nothing to do with government, what he was saying was because people were moving around less because of the christmas break there was less passing on of infections so if christmas hadn't happened the numbers would have been even higher. That's all.
    Yeah but that has nothing to do with the mixing being allowed on Christmas Day, that and what was originally going to be 5 days of mixing, are what people are saying would have led to a big increase.

No one was saying Christmas shouldn’t happen because of the virus.