+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    That's very nicely written. You could be a journalist.

Yes an extract , I must be the first to do that ?? and that includes you and the other responders below, apologies for its positive aspect I know stuff like that are not what one wants in some circles , in my book any hopefully article around this awful diesases is worth postin as this matter is about death and misery , not some left or right political moan fest .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes an extract , I must be the first to do that ?? and that includes you and the other responders below, apologies for its positive aspect I know stuff like that are not what one wants in some circles , in my book any hopefully article around this awful diesases is worth postin as this matter is about death and misery , not some left or right political moan fest .
    Why don't you quote where you copy and paste from, as is normal etiquette, and so that readers can know whether you are posting original thoughts or if you are simply copy and pasting (and seemingly passing off other content as your own)?

We usually have a few clues to go on though, I know....

Why do you bring left and right into everything?

If you copy something, say where it's from.

Like this:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/n...ikes-wzwfmhwm0

I can hardly claim to be an expert on the subject of God or religion, but, as I understand it, the notion of a "vengeful God" should go contrary to what that God is supposed to represent shouldn't it?

When it comes to anti vaxers/Bill Gates/conspiracy theories etc. I watched this yesterday and, not for the first time, came to the conclusion that the word is a seriously f*cked up place in 2020;-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...spiracy-theory

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I can hardly claim to be an expert on the subject of God or religion, but, as I understand it, the notion of a "vengeful God" should go contrary to what that God is supposed to represent shouldn't it?

When it comes to anti vaxers/Bill Gates/conspiracy theories etc. I watched this yesterday and, not for the first time, came to the conclusion that the word is a seriously f*cked up place in 2020;-

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

How not to quote your sources

International

With regard to this virus I have still not seen any reasoning behind the apparent fact that cases are rising but the deaths aren't, or at least not so much, except for the opinion that the virus may be mutating in order to not kill it's host, as clearly that is counter productive for it.
    The problem with that is that if its true will the lack of high death numbers make the search for a vaccine less urgent in chemists minds.

How not to quote your sources
    I noticed that link just in time

Don't known what happened there because I definitely copied the programme url, but then it seemed to have a mind of its own when it came to paste!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    With regard to this virus I have still not seen any reasoning behind the apparent fact that cases are rising but the deaths aren't, or at least not so much, except for the opinion that the virus may be mutating in order to not kill it's host, as clearly that is counter productive for it.
    The problem with that is that if its true will the lack of high death numbers make the search for a vaccine less urgent in chemists minds.
    One other reason is that more people are being tested.

And are daily cases rising? Looking at the figures, it seems fairly constant for the UK over the past few weeks.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Edit: this might show it better

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/cases

International

One other reason is that more people are being tested.
    Yes, I get that but even in spike areas like Leicester although there was a big jump in cases it doesn't seem to have been mirrored by deaths.
    It's clearly not a bad thing but I wonder how (if it continues) it will affect the thinking of politicians and scientists.

There were a lot of stories about a month ago about people who had recovered from Covid 19 (maybe some who had the virus but showed few or no symptoms) who had significant long term damage to organs - heart and lungs if I remember rightly. Those stories seem to have dried up - maybe the numbers involved were not that big, I don't know - but I don't think we should only be looking at numbers of deaths to assess the impact.

Yes, I get that but even in spike areas like Leicester although there was a big jump in cases it doesn't seem to have been mirrored by deaths.
    It's clearly not a bad thing but I wonder how (if it continues) it will affect the thinking of politicians and scientists.
    But that's the point. Those people had the virus regardless, and the same number of people would have died regardless. Better testing means that more people will be found to have the virus, so cases will go up.

Testing finds the people who have milder forms of covid.

International

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There were a lot of stories about a month ago about people who had recovered from Covid 19 (maybe some who had the virus but showed few or no symptoms) who had significant long term damage to organs - heart and lungs if I remember rightly. Those stories seem to have dried up - maybe the numbers involved were not that big, I don't know - but I don't think we should only be looking at numbers of deaths to assess the impact.
    I agree with you but it is a large increase in deaths with will really grab the headlines. Nothing as good as bad news!!
    As I mentioned, my concern is that if it stops killing people it may have the effect of scientists becoming less urgently looking for a vaccine, and that would be very bad.

On another note China reported that they have had a case of a person dying from Bubonic plague. There's a thought!!

The peak for new cases in the USA has definitely occurred in the last month as can be seen here;-

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

but that page also shows you are right because although deaths have risen in the last few weeks, the peak for them definitely occurred during the "first wave" which was based around New York back in March/April and I'd say that the figures would be showing a sign by of climbing to April levels by now if they were going to do so.

While it takes a level of expertise beyond us on here to make a convincing case that this apparent dilution of the virus' ability to kill humans is down to it mutating into something less lethal (I'm unaware of any study saying this is the case anyway), I'd say that, certainly, in westernised countries that are experiencing a resurgence of cases, there is quite a bit of evidence out there that the more likely Covid sufferer this time around is younger than your typical victim in the late winter/spring, so that should equate to less deaths.

I'd also say that there are a few treatments proven to be effective against fighting the virus out there now which were not recognised as such a few months ago, so I'd say there are two reasons which are backed by research which confirms the suppositions behind them, so I'd say they are more likely causes for the lower number of deaths than a mutation to something less powerful in the virus.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Why don't you quote where you copy and paste from, as is normal etiquette, and so that readers can know whether you are posting original thoughts or if you are simply copy and pasting (and seemingly passing off other content as your own)?

We usually have a few clues to go on though, I know....
    To be honest I thought I had ,as a title, apologies for the mistake , what I intended to do was write something like (positive news ) then ""
    Humble apologies.

Either way it's positive news I guess , unless other agendas are at play with whatever or however I post ,as my grammatical skills have been picked apart as its not a skill set I own I therefore try post something that aligns to my thoughts or has a positive or counter balance reasoning .

Again humble apologies I didn't realise there was such high level scrutiny on a board that is supposed to be of a light nature and allow the odd mistake or blip ,I will promise to do better 🤭 😐🙄

The peak for new cases in the USA has definitely occurred in the last month as can be seen here;-

but that page also shows you are right because although deaths have risen in the last few weeks, the peak for them definitely occurred during the "first wave" which was based around New York back in March/April and I'd say that the figures would be showing a sign by of climbing to April levels by now if they were going to do so.

While it takes a level of expertise beyond us on here to make a convincing case that this apparent dilution of the virus' ability to kill humans is down to it mutating into something less lethal (I'm unaware of any study saying this is the case anyway), I'd say that, certainly, in westernised countries that are experiencing a resurgence of cases, there is quite a bit of evidence out there that the more likely Covid sufferer this time around is younger than your typical victim in the late winter/spring, so that should equate to less deaths.

I'd also say that there are a few treatments proven to be effective against fighting the virus out there now which were not recognised as such a few months ago, so I'd say there are two reasons which are backed by research which confirms the suppositions behind them, so I'd say they are more likely causes for the lower number of deaths than a mutation to something less powerful in the virus.
    I wonder if the virus could weaken, as we know they mutate ?

Didn't SARS burn out ?

International

I can't find a reference now but I did read it somewhere, probably the BBC on line news. Apparently there is evidence of this happening with viruses previously. What ever the reason it cannot be a bad thing.

I wonder if the virus could weaken, as we know they mutate ?

Didn't SARS burn out ?
    Yes, that has happened in the past and I've read on a few occasions experts saying that it is best for the virus' long term survival for it to become something that can find human hosts without killing as many of them. Hopefully, that will happen again this time, but, for now, while it is good news that not as many as might have been expected are dying in America, it seems to me that there are more credible reasons as to why this is the case than it being down to the virus mutating into something less harmful to us. Wouldn't such a mutation take longer than a few months?

Heisenberg

Haven't they stopped providing the full data on Covid deaths since July 17th as they are "investigating" how they will be recording them in future... Or have I got that totally wrong?

Also, I've no idea how much it would be affecting the numbers but I wonder whether the fact that most care homes are still in some sort of lockdown are having an impact on the number of deaths at present.

A large number of deaths were attributed to untested patients being transferred to care homes, so I would suggest that's it's a factor in the current numbers. If it started spreading through care homes again then I think we would be seeing a much higher death rate. Thankfully, that doesn't look like happening.

International

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Haven't they stopped providing the full data on Covid deaths since July 17th as they are "investigating" how they will be recording them in future... Or have I got that totally wrong?

Also, I've no idea how much it would be affecting the numbers but I wonder whether the fact that most care homes are still in some sort of lockdown are having an impact on the number of deaths at present.

A large number of deaths were attributed to untested patients being transferred to care homes, so I would suggest that's it's a factor in the current numbers. If it started spreading through care homes again then I think we would be seeing a much higher death rate. Thankfully, that doesn't look like happening.
    The government web page with the graphs we all learned to know and love has stopped updating but the numbers are still reported daily.

Daily UK new cases and deaths figures can be found here;-

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Banned

Yes, that has happened in the past and I've read on a few occasions experts saying that it is best for the virus' long term survival for it to become something that can find human hosts without killing as many of them. Hopefully, that will happen again this time, but, for now, while it is good news that not as many as might have been expected are dying in America, it seems to me that there are more credible reasons as to why this is the case than it being down to the virus mutating into something less harmful to us. Wouldn't such a mutation take longer than a few months?
    In my opinion it is very difficult to glean anything from just looking at number of cases vs number of deaths. Firstly, each country uses different ways of recording cases and/or deaths. Secondly, each country tests subjects based on differing criteria. Lastly, even looking at some countries in isolation, their methods of testing and recording have differed over time.

In the UK, initially only people who were sick were being tested. Now, people are being tested for various reasons. My partner is getting tested weekly as a care worker.

The data I tend to look at is the data provided by the ONS which is extrapolated from various sources of data.

One other thing that I think may be causing a more favourable death to case ratio is that I think those people who are more susceptible to getting seriously sick have changed their behaviour over time. Care homes are being better protected than they once were, for example.

On the subject of anti vaxers, I find the result of this poll both incredible and depressing;-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...19-vaccination

New infections up to more than a thousand in a day in the UK for the first time since June.

International

New infections up to more than a thousand in a day in the UK for the first time since June.
    But I think in most cases they are in hot spots and the powers that be know where and are dee-aling with them

And closer to home Cardiff had 7 cases yesterday, 13 in the last 7 days. Its on the up and when the detail is published I bet a lot of it resulting from the crowds in Cardiff Bay