+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

I'm unsure why you have referred to these articles as neither deal with the points I raised which indicated:

1. that it was too early to compare death rates with other countries due to the way statistics are collected An ONS report indicated the following:

"Given the widely differing practices between countries in recording and reporting deaths relating to COVID-19 it is not possible at this time to conduct accurate international comparisons of deaths involving COVID-19 specifically."

(I gather the above means that some countries record deaths as pneumonia which is a consequence of COVID but the UK record deaths as pneumonia associated with COVID) and ;

2. the fact the UK has a higher roll out rate of the vaccine meaning our figures are likely to be lower statistically over a longer period.

All this will come out in the wash when the inevitable inquiry takes place.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I've seen that chart in another thread saying Wales' death rate was higher than England's in December, but are you saying that Wales' is higher over the course of the whole pandemic? Also, if you are going by the December figures, then it's a bit of a leap to say that Wales had the worst death rate in the world last week - all I'm doing is saying that there are figures which show that the UK had the worst death rate in the world last week, I make no claims about Wales because those figures have not been broken down.

Regarding the six weeks of vaccines across the whole of the UK, not just Wales, it's not six weeks of both vaccines is it, because the Oxford one has only been available to the public for just over a fortnight, so for the majority of the time people have been receiving vaccinations, only the Pfizer one has been available - do your calculations make allowance for that?
    I took the data from the UK Gov Covid dashboard which shows total deaths for each home country since the start of the pandemic.

The vaccination data is overall not manufacturer specific, and whilst C&V daily jab rate has increased it's hardly touched the at risk elderly population. The only area of Wales that seems to be on course for vaccination coverage is North Wales

The rate per 100,000 now under 300 (295), last time it was this low was early December, schools, gyms and shops were open and you could go for a pint, anyone remember what a pint in a pub was like?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...eaths-19654216

seems to be coming down really well now in South Wales.
    Wrexham and Flintshire are still high though.
    at this rate at least the schools should be back open soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    seems to be coming down really well now in South Wales.
    Wrexham and Flintshire are still high though.
    at this rate at least the schools should be back open soon.
    The Unions....the lefties....drakeford and Corbyn crew......open by 2025

I reckon May before pubs are open to just serve alchohol. The ridiculous substantial meal bollox a bit before.

International

I think they should be open for over 70s and velnerable people by mid February.
    Off to the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Off to the pub.

My kids have had about 6 weeks of substantial schooling since March. The effects are catastrophic. My one son is extremely gifted and is getting increasingly frustrated, bored and worse disillusioned. My one daughter is badly missing contact with her friends. Opening pubs before schools would be the death knell of any Government. They had already done that in the summer, the result a few teachers at our school were laid low having picked up the virus in a pub get together. The next result, whole classes getting isolated because of contact with another teacher who had picked up the virus in a pub.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Off to the pub.
    I, for one, am excited for the inevitable stand off between vaccinated over 70s and the young unvaccinated bar staff

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    My kids have had about 6 weeks of substantial schooling since March. The effects are catastrophic. My one son is extremely gifted and is getting increasingly frustrated, bored and worse disillusioned. My one daughter is badly missing contact with her friends. Opening pubs before schools would be the death knell of any Government. They had already done that in the summer, the result a few teachers at our school were laid low having picked up the virus in a pub get together. The next result, whole classes getting isolated because of contact with another teacher who had picked up the virus in a pub.
    They wont open pubs before schools.

Im not convinced they will all open after February half term though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    They wont open pubs before schools.

Im not convinced they will all open after February half term though.
    I think schools will open, too much damage being done as stated by many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    6 weeks? Did they miss a lot between sept and xmas? Mine didn’t miss a day, I guess the school was lucky.....

What’s that saying”don’t do as we do, do as we say”?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55720106

1,610 deaths today in the Uk - the highest yet and yet there were only eight reported in Wales.

1,610 deaths today in the Uk - the highest yet and yet there were only eight reported in Wales.
    Be interesting to know the average age of all these deaths? Pretty sure it’s not 83 like the first wave....probably more like 60, which adds more weight to the argument that this age group, who are out working etc....are currently the most vulnerable

P!ss up in the Senedd including the leader of the Conservatives.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...ended-19657263

What’s that saying”don’t do as we do, do as we say”?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-55720106
    Including one hoping to become First Minister.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    P!ss up in the Senedd including the leader of the Conservatives.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...ended-19657263
    Strange that it should come to light now to divert attention from Drakeford's stupid comments.

I reckon Alun Davies took one for his party.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Strange that it should come to light now to divert attention from Drakeford's stupid comments.

I didn't realise you were such a cynic!

A couple of concerning stories out there regarding vaccines. One sees UK figures dropping on each of the last three days and the other concerns the decision to stretch the gap between the two jabs to twelve weeks - Israel, who raced ahead of everyone else in dispensing vaccines have had a spike in cases amid comments that the vaccine was proving "less effective than we thought".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-than-we-hoped

I didn't realise you were such a cynic!

A couple of concerning stories out there regarding vaccines. One sees UK figures dropping on each of the last three days and the other concerns the decision to stretch the gap between the two jabs to twelve weeks - Israel, who raced ahead of everyone else in dispensing vaccines have had a spike in cases amid comments that the vaccine was proving "less effective than we thought".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-than-we-hoped
    Pfizer always said that the success rate in trials on one dose was 52%. The 'experts' extrapolated data from the trial work and concluded that it was 90% effective. The BMA in Wales maintains that there is some evidence in Pfizer's trial data to say it is effective for 6 weeks maximum at first dose and they have been in the press recently asking that front line HC workers receive their second dose by then.

The vaccinations slowing may be something to do with England moving vaccine to the 'slower' parts of the country. Wales just needs to get a move on.

I looked at the Cardiff and Vale data and their report on 18 January states that 24,692 have had jabs of which 2,,749 have been in non priority patients, 18,582 in Health care, social care and care home workers. When it comes to patients only 3351 over 80s have been vaccinated. Wales stats data shows 11,000 over 85 in Cardiff and Vale, plus 25,000 75-84

Vaughan Gething says he hopes that 70% of 80 + and care home residents will be vaccinated by Friday. Some hope.

Pfizer always said that the success rate in trials on one dose was 52%. The 'experts' extrapolated data from the trial work and concluded that it was 90% effective. The BMA in Wales maintains that there is some evidence in Pfizer's trial data to say it is effective for 6 weeks maximum at first dose and they have been in the press recently asking that front line HC workers receive their second dose by then.

The vaccinations slowing may be something to do with England moving vaccine to the 'slower' parts of the country. Wales just needs to get a move on.

I looked at the Cardiff and Vale data and their report on 18 January states that 24,692 have had jabs of which 2,,749 have been in non priority patients, 18,582 in Health care, social care and care home workers. When it comes to patients only 3351 over 80s have been vaccinated. Wales stats data shows 11,000 over 85 in Cardiff and Vale, plus 25,000 75-84

Vaughan Gething says he hopes that 70% of 80 + and care home residents will be vaccinated by Friday. Some hope.
    So, 11,000 over 85’s in Cardiff area? They have a lot to do this week if they want to achieve 70%.......

It does seem strange, that they sat on this for over a month, before releasing it to the press. Stinks of "Duckford wanting his name out of the spotlight"

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    So, 11,000 over 85’s in Cardiff area? They have a lot to do this week if they want to achieve 70%.......

I took the data from 'Wales stats'....very comprehensive for all parts of Wales population data by age

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    It does seem strange, that they sat on this for over a month, before releasing it to the press. Stinks of "Duckford wanting his name out of the spotlight"
    Come May it will be

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Come May it will be
    Hasn't he already said he wouldn't fulfill an entire 2nd term? A shared first ministership & coalition with Plaid is looking a decent bet