+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    We can be reasonably confident that early, hard, short lockdowns are better than extended periods of time with high restrictions. Biggest issue is that SAGE spoke about a circuit breaker on 21st of September, Mark Drakeford said lesser the circuit breaker the longer it will need to have an impact (presumably this also is true for the later) and we're doing it on 23rd of October.

Are we acting too slowly again? If yes then it won't work to slow virus as effectively as we had imagined, it will create further negative economic impact and there will be more critics if the measure is suggested again even if it is the right idea.

What comes next? Is test/trace up and running properly yet? No figures for Wales but suggested that less than 20% are complying with isolation request in England, and higher rates of transmission where people are entering/staying in others houses so low compliance is seeing negative impact when measuring virus spread.

A circuit break and slide into full lockdown, the version seen earlier in the year, would be a pretty awful result for all.
    There was zero Covid patients in the Heath mid September, so I doubt a circuit break was needed then anyway. People won’t listen so it’s a waste of time and no doubt a few million quid on the bill we will spend our lives paying back. Roll on December when hopefully that vaccine will be available to 0.5% or 1% of the population and we can all crack on again.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    There was zero Covid patients in the Heath mid September, so I doubt a circuit break was needed then anyway. People won’t listen so it’s a waste of time and no doubt a few million quid on the bill we will spend our lives paying back. Roll on December when hopefully that vaccine will be available to 0.5% or 1% of the population and we can all crack on again.
    Was talking to the manager of the Gym I [used to !] got to, on Friday. His daughter works in the Heath. Yes, they're getting a few more COVID patients in, but they're ones that have been mostly been 'picked up' with testing, and are generally sent home the next day. I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head, though - people won't budge on their views. We're not following science, we're following algorithms. Leading UK virologists and epidemiologists at the top of their game are arguing against lockdowns, but are repeatedly dismissed..

Considering Ireland's economy holding up as well as Sweden's, it might be an idea to see what Ireland are doing: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...ours-1.4384986

What will end first the pandemic or the whining from Liverpool fans over the Merseyside derby?

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    What will end first the pandemic or the whining from Liverpool fans over the Merseyside derby?
    makes no difference as andy burnham has them beaten with his whining

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    makes no difference as andy burnham has them beaten with his whining
    Whining you say?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-covid-stance

Or maybe doing his job - with the general support of the Greater Manchester public and the local Tory MPs and council leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Whining you say?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...s-covid-stance

Or maybe doing his job - with the general support of the Greater Manchester public and the local Tory MPs and council leaders.
    Yep, Whining

Yep, Whining
    Why is he whining?

I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Why is he whining?

I'm curious.
    you have heard him over the last 2 weeks, imho he has whined on and on about being let down by the ( TORY ) government, its all unfair, being from Manchester ( or even up north ) is grim, everyone down south hates northerners, he plays the North / South divide very well ( playing to his crowd i guess ), it has been constant, I guess in your opinion he hasnt then

you have heard him over the last 2 weeks, imho he has whined on and on about being let down by the ( TORY ) government, its all unfair, being from Manchester ( or even up north ) is grim, everyone down south hates northerners, he plays the North / South divide very well ( playing to his crowd i guess ), it has been constant, I guess in your opinion he hasnt then
    Isnt Burnham holding out for extra financial support for businesses and people, who will be affected by the tier 3 restrictions?

For someone who had business and financial support I'd thought you'd be empathising with businesses up North?

Isnt Burnham holding out for extra financial support for businesses and people, who will be affected by the tier 3 restrictions?

For someone who had business and financial support I'd thought you'd be empathising with businesses up North?
    he is, but in a whining way

I do, mainly for the workers who are going to find it even harder this time around

I havent heard him say everyone down South hates northerners.

International

Of course he did great things for the people 'up north' when he was in parliament himself!!

he is, but in a whining way

I do, mainly for the workers who are going to find it even harder this time around
    Perhaps he should ask for a square go with Boris, Rishi or Hancock?

Much more masculine and less whiny.

International

apparently you will not be able to tell the affect a 2 week lockdown has had until about a week after it ends, so a three week lockdown would make more sense.
    It links in with Mark Drakeford's remark that the 2 weeks will be used for them to decide how much further they might have to go to control this.
    I wouldn't hold my breath on this stopping on 9 August!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    apparently you will not be able to tell the affect a 2 week lockdown has had until about a week after it ends, so a three week lockdown would make more sense.
    It links in with Mark Drakeford's remark that the 2 weeks will be used for them to decide how much further they might have to go to control this.
    I wouldn't hold my breath on this stopping on 9 August!!!
    It will be long over by 9th August. Well this lockdown anyway.😂

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I havent heard him say everyone down South hates northerners.
    I added that one to see if people were paying attention to him

Perhaps he should ask for a square go with Boris, Rishi or Hancock?

Much more masculine and less whiny.
    Hmmmm

I think Boris and Hancock would do him, his best bet would be Rishi

maybe pay per view with the proceeds going to some " northern specific charity "

Big news in the Republic of Ireland. (Soft) Level 5 for much of the country for six weeks. Restrictions not as harsh as spring but not that far removed. Potentially salutary for Conservatives and Lab in the UK. For the Tories because Irish govt decided only national lockdown...

... would have an adequate behavioural effect on the population (a key argument made by
    @AndyBurnhamGM). For Labour, because Irish assessment is short lockdown won’t work, a six week period is necessary to keep December clear.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/st...68249600045059
    Questions being asked around the UK and Ireland (or Ireland from UK perspective) being what can be afforded, what will be complied with sufficiently to have desired impact, what comes next.

Good point made on BBC Wales at lunchtime being that the slower come down from full lockdown was our Plan A for not having to reintroduce such strict measures again this year. Plan B hopefully will work but maybe it's just about giving things time to resolve themselves in England where decision will be made about what can UK financially afford.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Questions being asked around the UK and Ireland (or Ireland from UK perspective) being what can be afforded, what will be complied with sufficiently to have desired impact, what comes next.

Good point made on BBC Wales at lunchtime being that the slower come down from full lockdown was our Plan A for not having to reintroduce such strict measures again this year. Plan B hopefully will work but maybe it's just about giving things time to resolve themselves in England where decision will be made about what can UK financially afford.
    Tier 5 in Ireland: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...medium=twitter

How decision was made: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...down-1.4385344

Italy: https://uk.reuters.com/article/healt...-idUKL8N2H90HJ

As daily cases in Italy hit a new record 11,705 on Sunday, Conte said the situation had become critical but his government has been determined to avoid a repeat of the lockdown imposed at the start of the crisis in March.

COVID-related deaths on Sunday increased to 69, up from 47 the day before, the ministry said - far fewer than at the height of the pandemic in Italy in March and April, when daily fatalities peaked at more than 900.
    France: https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idUSL8N2H763D

The number of people in hospital with COVID-19 rose by 437 to 10,042, exceeding 10,000 for the first time since mid-June, and the number of people in intensive care rose by 50 to 1,800, a level last seen in mid-May.

It also reported that 122 people had died from coronavirus infection in hospitals in the past 24 hours, compared with 88 on Thursday. Including deaths in retirement homes - which are often reported in multi-day batches - the death toll increased by 178 on Friday

I mentioned the Pfizer jab a few days ago as a bit of good news

The Pfizer jab is being stockpiled en masse at the drug giant’s plant in Puurs, Belgium and could be put in for approval in the US in November,

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/18/hopes...line-13440956/

The Pfizer jab is being stockpiled en masse at the drug giant’s plant in Puurs, Belgium and could be put in for approval in the US in November,

Between that and the oxford one at least there is hope for some normality, with the priority being those who need the usual hospital care which seems to have been forgotten during Covid.

I used to work for Pharmacia, a company which merged with Pfizer so know the Puurs facility well.
    Pfizer believe they will have a good handle on the vaccine's effectiveness by the end of October and will seek a rapid review with the US FDA to get the drug licensed for use there.

For UK the licensing authority is currently within the EU,( they approve medicines for all EU members) although likely to be the UK MHRA after Brexit. Hope this possible change won't delay the approval of the vaccine for use in UK