+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    London has now had four strategies in four weeks. Earlier in the week schools in London were being threatened with legal action if they wanted to close early.

Saving Christmas was all about saving Christmas shopping, wasn't it? Again, bad communication, again, late decisions.

I think the nature of knowing we were heading into another lockdown after Christmas has lessened the shock here in Wales. Love it or hate it, there is the idea that us "being in it together" ensures greater compliance with the guidance and therefore have gone for that approach for most of this year, and in this case it's probably helped because we know going hard and early protects lives - a Scottish approach for winter, but I do hope we're aiming for varying tiers within local areas, Feb onwards, to give as many areas as possible a boost when we can.
    With this new variant, it could be lockdown until the vaccines rolled out enough to cope stated on bbc news today. That’s going to really be a kick in the balls for many people if so. Roll on Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    How many strategies has Cardiff had during the same period? Not a rhetorical question - I honestly don't know the answer, but it feels like we've had several.
    I would guess at three different strategies but can't tell you for sure.

London has now had four strategies in four weeks. Earlier in the week schools in London were being threatened with legal action if they wanted to close early.

Saving Christmas was all about saving Christmas shopping, wasn't it? Again, bad communication, again, late decisions.

Regarding communication, different approaches for different nations within the UK is not confusing if we're allowed for more than 30 seconds to discuss what's going on in Wales, Scotland, NI.

I think the nature of knowing we were heading into another lockdown after Christmas has lessened the shock here in Wales. Love it or hate it, there is the idea that us "being in it together" ensures greater compliance with the guidance and therefore have gone for that approach for most of this year, and in this case it's probably helped because we know going hard and early protects lives - borrowing a Scottish approach for this winter, but I do hope we're aiming for varying tiers within local areas, Feb onwards, to give as many areas as possible a boost when we can.
    I was in tier 2 on Friday, tier 3 on Saturday and tier 4 today. Our positive case rate per 100k is around 50 a day. This period is the biggest shambles of the lot and the UK gov had set a pretty high bar.

Agree 100%, it was all a little freebie to the shops from the gov. They have prioritised people meeting their families on Christmas today to make sure we can all go out and buy a load of shite.

I presume That If Keir Starmer is criticising Boris about the late Christmas change, he has also been on the phone to tell Mark Drakeford off for doing the same???

He avoided a question about the response of the devolved administrations on Sky this morning.

I don't trust either of the leaders of our two main parties at all. Different characters, both untrustworthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood Blues View Post
    I presume That If Keir Starmer is criticising Boris about the late Christmas change, he has also been on the phone to tell Mark Drakeford off for doing the same???

He avoided a question about the response of the devolved administrations on Sky this morning.

I don't trust either of the leaders of our two main parties at all. Different characters, both untrustworthy.
    Anyone can see through the political guff, to think he would have done any different is bollox, no leader wanted to take Christmas away from the people. It’s easy for him to say this as leader of the opposition. Don’t tell me, labour would have cancelled meeting at Christmas weeks ago? I would have gone along with it personally as I think we are almost there, but no leader wanted to ratify it.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Anyone can see through the political guff, to think he would have done any different is bollox, no leader wanted to take Christmas away from the people. It’s easy for him to say this as leader of the opposition. Don’t tell me, labour would have cancelled meeting at Christmas weeks ago? I would have gone along with it personally as I think we are almost there, but no leader wanted to ratify it.
    I agree. The government acted swiftly which is commendable. Dr Susan Hopkins of Public Health England indicated this morning that the results of their work on the mutated virus were only presented to the government on Friday and they acted on Saturday.

Would Keir Starmer have cancelled Xmas before the results of research had been completed? Possibly as the numbers were rising but I doubt it. I had to laugh when Lisa Nandy said on the TV this morning that Labour had been consistent in their messaging on the virus forgetting that originally they were opposed to schools reopening supporting the Unions opposition and now she is saying schools should be the last to close and the first to open. That presumes she also thinks abstaining from voting from important Parliamentary debates is clear when to most of us Labour's position is as clear as mud.

In fairness Drakeford has acted quickly in response to the new virus. Fortunately he didn't take account of the messaging coming from Starmer.

The governments are damned if they do and damned if they dont.
    Public pressure forced them into a Christmas relaxation of the rules, and now they get criticised for acting swiftly on the new scientific evidence regarding the new strain. Whatever the leaders say and do though, doesnt make any difference to all those idiots in London last night who thought the best thing to do was to crowd the stations, pack onto the trains and spread the new strain around the country.
    In a month or so, the same people will be making the same journey to attend their loved ones funeral.

Acted swiftly????

Its a shambles.

Im pretty certain Starmer wouldnt have had the 5 day XMas get together.

Johnson is a joke. Watch his pathetic performance in Parliament on Wednesday.

Drakeford in my opinion bottled it and went along with the 5 day plan. Weak.

Days ago Johnson was scoffing and flippant in Parliament accusing Starmer of wanting Christmas cancelled.

Starmer is right its one feck up after another from a useless government full of pro brexit loonies who are completely out of their depth.

Time to move on to their next feck up

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I agree. The government acted swiftly which is commendable. Dr Susan Hopkins of Public Health England indicated this morning that the results of their work on the mutated virus were only presented to the government on Friday and they acted on Saturday.

Would Keir Starmer have cancelled Xmas before the results of research had been completed?
    Firstly, Starmer has the easy job of calling for greater action before it happens. Either he's right and people remember or he's wrong and most people forget. Labour certainly have not consistenly called for education to be treated as a priority but have for quite some time now.

However, though extremely difficult, wouldn't it have been better to cancel Christmas? Out of England's lockdown: cases were rising in the south, it's winter so strain on health services anyway, we're weeks away from students travelling across the country which previously saw a fresh spike in cases - London was put into tier two... cases were again rising, greater winter strain, and weeks away from students etc. - London was put into tier three... cases were again rising and now we've identified a new vaccine - scramble to make a decision but horse has probably already bolted. A lot of the wiggle room was sacrificed long before this weeks research was finalised in order to give a normal Christmas.

Abstaining in parliament is a bit like spoiling the ballot paper when we vote. If there are no good enough options/options you believe in what else are you meant to do while still taking part in the process? It's silly to expect opposition to oppose everything and silly to expect them to support government's position.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Acted swiftly????

Its a shambles.

Im pretty certain Starmer wouldnt have had the 5 day XMas get together.

Johnson is a joke. Watch his pathetic performance in Parliament on Wednesday.

Drakeford in my opinion bottled it and went along with the 5 day plan. Weak.

Days ago Johnson was scoffing and flippant in Parliament accusing Starmer of wanting Christmas cancelled.

Starmer is right its one feck up after another from a useless government full of pro brexit loonies who are completely out of their depth.

Time to move on to their next feck up
    As I stated the lead Doctor in Public Health England stated this morning that the government only received definitive information on the link between the virus mutation and the rapid increase in numbers on Friday; they acted Saturday. That is what I meant by quick.

Starmer was calling for stricter measures on Wednesday at PMQs before the link between the mutated virus and the increasing numbers were known. Obviously we differ on whether Starmer would have cancelled Xmas earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    As I stated the lead Doctor in Public Health England stated this morning that the government only received definitive information on the link between the virus mutation and the rapid increase in numbers on Friday; they acted Saturday. That is what I meant by quick.

Starmer was calling for stricter measures on Wednesday at PMQs before the link between the mutated virus and the increasing numbers were known. Obviously we differ on whether Starmer would have cancelled Xmas earlier.
    Do you believe that Johnson and co had no idea that this new virus wasnt spreading quicker before Friday and he had no idea before his performance on Wednesday.

And if he didnt know he should have had some idea.

I cant say hes lost control. Hes never had control.

My understanding, from talking to someone who lives in Miami, is that in certain states of the USA you are unable to carry a firearm if part of your face is obscured. This has resulted in people preferring to exercise their right to carry arms over their social responsibility 😱

[QUOTE=Vindec;5147900]As I stated the lead Doctor in Public Health England stated this morning that the government only received definitive information on the link between the virus mutation and the rapid increase in numbers on Friday; they acted Saturday.

And if you believe that you’ll believe anything.

Do you believe that Johnson and co had no idea that this new virus wasnt spreading quicker before Friday and he had no idea before his performance on Wednesday.

Incredible that some people's first post on what the UK Government did yesterday is to be critical of the leader of the opposition! When Drakeford announced the increased measures last night, the Tories leader in Wales didn't even enter my head.

You may think the government had not acted quickly but I do. Governments have to act on the basis of definitive evidence and not guesswork.

The key to the rapid increase in numbers was the mutated virus. You only have to look at the increasing daily numbers to realise that. Those testing positive for the virus are up 39% in a week in England. If the virus continued to spread, as it had in the last week or so, the implications would be horrendous.

Why didn't the wonderful Keir Starmer tell Drakeford to cancel Xmas in Wales if you believe he would have cancelled Xmas earlier? We all know your view that Keir Starmer can do know wrong but I believe all politicians, whatever their Party, are on a hiding to nothing as this thing is so fast moving.

International

Well if this is a full lockdown God help us.
    I've been out and about today and there is an awful lot of traffic in the City and outside it for a country that is supposed to be doing nothing but essential things.
    And last night on the M$ I lost count of the number of cars I passed driving into Wales with top boxes fitted, presumable full of all the pressies that they were bringing to be with family for christmas. I got the impression they were rushing to get into the country before the Midnight deadline.
    I get the impression tat people are becoming weary of it and perhaps taking a more fatalist attitude to things

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Incredible that some people's first post on what the UK Government did yesterday is to be critical of the leader of the opposition! When Drakeford announced the increased measures last night, the Tories leader in Wales didn't even enter my head.
    Why is that incredible when the leader of the main opposition party in the UK happens to be the boss of the political leader of the devolved administration we live in??????????????

The New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG) met on Friday 19th December between 11.00 am and 1300 pm. Attendee such as Professors Neil Ferguson John Edmunds and Calum Semple who have all been on the news at one time or other.

The Government has now released the minutes

Main points

71% increase in transmission rate

R rate would go up by between ).39 and 0.93

In addition Calum Semple was interviewed on the BBC and said that the doubling time was 7 days with this new variant as against 12- 14 days with the other variant(s) they are familiar with.

(Hope this post meet with your approval Bob!!)

Why is that incredible when the leader of the main opposition party in the UK happens to be the boss of the political leader of the devolved administration we live in??????????????
    This is a health matter and is devolved to the different nations. There are clearly going to be ties between the nations, and there isn't full separation between political parties who stand in multiple nations, but are you saying Westminster should just override Wales/Scotland/NI? Are you really that person??

I said why in my first post - it's like me having a go at RT Davies or whatever his name is for the decision Drakeford took, absurd.

The New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG) met on Friday 19th December between 11.00 am and 1300 pm. Attendee such as Professors Neil Ferguson John Edmunds and Calum Semple who have all been on the news at one time or other.

The Government has now released the minutes

Main points

71% increase in transmission rate

R rate would go up by between ).39 and 0.93

In addition Calum Semple was interviewed on the BBC and said that the doubling time was 7 days with this new variant as against 12- 14 days with the other variant(s) they are familiar with.

(Hope this post meet with your approval Bob!!)
    So, what you're saying then is that your party political point scoring messages regarding Keri Starmer were a bit pointless and unjustified - Johnson and Drakeford were right to take the actions they did. I don't normally need any second invitation to criticise Johnson, but I haven't and won't over this - it's ridiculous to compliment Johnson on the one hand and then look to slag Labour off on the other when both parties have made very similar decisions.

I've just read a thread on twitter where it's being suggested Londoner's can travel just as long as they've booked a house viewing in another part of the country and can even cancel the viewing on arrival. Earlier in the week the Tory MP tried to argue that their Christmas party was in fact a business lunch.

Just how much hard work is going into getting around the guidance/rules?! Is that why the UK is currently ranked towards worst performing countries?

It's not a very nice thing to say, but I've got to the stage where I'm a little bit blasé about daily death figures, but I couldn't help noticing that there were 69 deaths reported in Wales in today's figures - apparently, that's the most in a day since figures started being recorded in March and this on a weekend when the numbers are supposed to be lower.
    Condolences to all friends and family of the 69 deceased.

I've just read a thread on twitter where it's being suggested Londoner's can travel just as long as they've booked a house viewing in another part of the country and can even cancel the viewing on arrival. Earlier in the week the Tory MP tried to argue that their Christmas party was in fact a business lunch.

Just how much hard work is going into getting around the guidance/rules?! Is that why the UK is currently ranked towards worst performing countries?
    Must be true then

Your question isn't beyond the realms of possibility and stories such as this certainly aren't helping.
    There is too much distrust of the authorities in this country from many.
    An attitude of anything goes just don't get caught and if you do get caught, you'd better be a "somebody".

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I said why in my first post - it's like me having a go at RT Davies or whatever his name is for the decision Drakeford took, absurd.

Paul Davies took over from Andrew RT Davies back in September 2018.

I will be replying to the post you wrote in response to my ( factual and non political!) post about Friday's Nervtag meeting on this topic so I won't duplicate it here.