+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Government only have themselves to blame for this one, travel back and fore to India should have been stopped a month before it was……
    Same with Portugal. The Brazilian variant was already on the rise when we allowed people to travel there. There's a distinct lack of planning and common sense. Wonder if that's where boris went for his honeymoon which is why it was on the green list

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    Drakeford cannot follow suit as he has not made the same optimistic statements knowing full well there is a good chance they cannot be honoured
    As new cases are rising Drakeford will have to say something. My guess is that he will follow England very shortly but will want to do things slightly differently in order to exert his independence. It would appear that the public are generally behind delaying the end of the lockdown.

My original comment was in response to the comment linked in my post and was intended to merely highlight the biassed comment made. Of course if Drakeford ignores the scientific advice and does nothing my comment is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Does that make Drakeford a buffoon if he follows suit?
    No.

As new cases are rising Drakeford will have to say something. My guess is that he will follow England very shortly but will want to do things slightly differently...
    If Boris splits Step 4 into two so outside events are eased but plans for inside events are delayed that mean he's copying Drakeford's last announcement?

As new cases are rising Drakeford will have to say something. My guess is that he will follow England very shortly but will want to do things slightly differently in order to exert his independence. It would appear that the public are generally behind delaying the end of the lockdown.

My original comment was in response to the comment linked in my post and was intended to merely highlight the biassed comment made. Of course if Drakeford ignores the scientific advice and does nothing my comment is irrelevant.
    England are following Wales on this one, albeit after threatening the whole vaccine process and the good work of that process by dithering over closing borders.... again.

Foreign travel needs to be banned. The selfish sods following Wales in Baku could well be spreading the Delta variant in a country that, hitherto, hasn't reported any cases of the Delta Variant.

There is also a theory that delaying the second dose to 12 weeks has helped to allow the delta variant to flourish in the UK. The fact one dose is only 30% effective backs that up.

I obviously hope we never need to find out but what happens if in three weeks the situation in England is worse again? "July 19 will be a terminus date" as per today but if worse again do the concerns of Tory backbenchers trump all or do they react to the health data?

As well as hoping we don't find out I also think it's unlikely, but setting out roadmap with clear dates on 22/02/2021 and stressing "21 June" instead of "no earlier than" does make it much harder to delay twice even if it's needed.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    That's a bit of a step, particularly as being the PM he could go anywhere he needed to go anyway, whatever the restrictions. Just like all those attending the G7. I think you might just have made that bit up.

I am sure Boris should have closed the Indian route down earlier, but as the PM, surely he could have travelled to India with it being on the red list or not

but that might get in the way of " knocking Boris "

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I am sure Boris should have closed the Indian route down earlier, but as the PM, surely he could have travelled to India with it being on the red list or not

but that might get in the way of " knocking Boris "
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ovid-situation

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...ation-12280094

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56800305

For those above 18 and on a purely UK level as of 13th of June:

1st: Wales, 87.7%
    2nd: Scotland, 79.3%
    3rd: England, 78.7%
    4th: Northern Ireland, 76.6%

And for second doses that is:

1st: England, 57.4%
    2nd: Scotland, 55.2%
    3rd: Wales, 54.9%
    4th: Northern Ireland, 51.6%

As per: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

It's obviously not a race and many different factors at play, also the most important thing is people coming forward especially if they've missed a dose. Especially as Wales declaring every adult has been offered first dose which appears to have lead to 88% (rounding up) of those taking up the offer.

The point was he didnt need to keep India off the red list in order to fly over for a trade deal, he is the PM and would have been able to fly ( for work ) regardless of the colour of the traffic light

But in this case, Boris made a sensible choice and decided not to fly, I am sure we all agree that he made the correct call, Well Done Boris

Very very good news from Public Health England: the vaccine works on the Delta/Indian variant

Pfizer 96% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses

AstraZeneca 92% effective against hospitalisation after 2 doses

This is a lot better than experts had previously feared

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/stat...83776881831938
    Without reading the data myself to check, that looks like a positive outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    The point was he didnt need to keep India off the red list in order to fly over for a trade deal, he is the PM and would have been able to fly ( for work ) regardless of the colour of the traffic light

But in this case, Boris made a sensible choice and decided not to fly, I am sure we all agree that he made the correct call, Well Done Boris
    The point is was the decision to put India in the red zone delayed because Johnson was scheduled to visit that country where, as reported in at least one of the links I posted, a trade deal with that country was due to be discussed? Whatever the answer, for a party that is always banging on about controlling our borders, they,’ve been pretty hopeless at doing that with India both before and after the decision was made to put that country in the red zone.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    The point is was the decision to put India in the red zone delayed because Johnson was scheduled to visit that country where, as reported in at least one of the links I posted, a trade deal with that country was due to be discussed? Whatever the answer, for a party that is always banging on about controlling our borders, they,’ve been pretty hopeless at doing that with India both before and after the decision was made to put that country in the red zone.
    Yes but Jeremy Corbyn......

International

Drakeford cannot follow suit as he has not made the same optimistic statements knowing full well there is a good chance they cannot be honoured
    Draskeford stated before anything was decided that there is no way he would follow what England does, (Which implies not following the science as he said this before the latest scientific advice was available)) so now England had kept the restrictions in place does that mean he is going to lift them?

Draskeford stated before anything was decided that there is no way he would follow what England does, (Which implies not following the science as he said this before the latest scientific advice was available)) so now England had kept the restrictions in place does that mean he is going to lift them?
    Don’t be ridiculous….it will be 3 weeks after England lift all measures….

International

The point is what you said about keeping India off the red list just so Boris could go there is a load of bollox and you know it is.
    You can put up 100 links but it will not alter the fact that red green amber black vermillion or whatever colour a list might be the PM can still go to that country in pursuance of the Business of government, just as heads of state could come here for a conference.
    He doesn't need to keep it on any list.

Of course he's not going to lift them because he never made any stupid freedom day pledges in the first place and has opted to wait for the science not guess what the science may say in a few months time.

International

Of course he's not going to lift them because he never made any stupid freedom day pledges in the first place and has opted to wait for the science not guess what the science may say in a few months time.
    He stated clearly that whatever England did he would not do. And he said it before the scientists had made their judgement.
    So if the science said lift the bans he would not have done it.
    Now it says keep the bans what will he do, lift them or impose even more?
    It's not rocket science is it?

He stated clearly that whatever England did he would not do. And he said it before the scientists had made their judgement.
    I presume this is a joke? Not a funny one but a joke all the same. If its not I presume you are Gavin Williamson.😂😂

:moronsmiley:

The point is what you said about keeping India off the red list just so Boris could go there is a load of bollox and you know it is.
    You can put up 100 links but it will not alter the fact that red green amber black vermillion or whatever colour a list might be the PM can still go to that country in pursuance of the Business of government, just as heads of state could come here for a conference.
    He doesn't need to keep it on any list.
    This is a Prime Minister and government obsessed with optics and imagery. "Global Britain", whatever that means (I think any continent except Europe) targets India and his fellow populist leader Modi. A PM with a reputation for dithering , dithers about closing the door to India as the same time as Pakistan and Bangladesh. In that time over 20k people come to the UK and the Indian/Delta strain dominates.

The idea that Johnson would visit a country that his government had just placed on the red list, regardless of his perceived right to do so is for the fairies. Even the Mail would have hammered him. It's not rocket science.

International

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    This is a Prime Minister and government obsessed with optics and imagery. "Global Britain", whatever that means (I think any continent except Europe) targets India and his fellow populist leader Modi. A PM with a reputation for dithering , dithers about closing the door to India as the same time as Pakistan and Bangladesh. In that time over 20k people come to the UK and the Indian/Delta strain dominates.

The idea that Johnson would visit a country that his government had just placed on the red list, regardless of his perceived right to do so is for the fairies. Even the Mail would have hammered him. It's not rocket science.
    Clearly it isn't but the point is he doesn't need it to not be on the red list, he could go anyway. People, journos and the like, may have opinions as to why it was kept off the red list but it would not have been "just so" boris could go there.

https://twitter.com/HillyFoz/status/...189927430?s=19

you have to feel sorry for the guy doing the sign language here

Clearly it isn't but the point is he doesn't need it to not be on the red list, he could go anyway. People, journos and the like, may have opinions as to why it was kept off the red list but it would not have been "just so" boris could go there.
    Not sure, you are getting the point. There is a planned visit. It is part of the post-Brexit strategy of greater engagement with dynamic new markets. When the science about the Indian sub-continent came to his table he should have treated India as the other nations. He didn't. I could only speculate why but a more favourable treatment of a country that the UK is targeting post Brexit is most likely. The idea that Johnson would go to a country he just or should have placed on the red list because he could is frankly laughable!