Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Careful positiveness not a gift on CCMB
    its ok as long as you dont attribute any success to the Tories

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Anyone with sense is still urging caution and slow release of pandemic habits, and that taking up the vaccine when invited to.
    We also desperately need to help wider world by protecting them from Delta where we can and getting vaccines shared around.
    Absolutely.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Earlier this week I walked out of the local Richer Sounds in the middle of an £8k purchase of a projector. Some chavs had come in, no masks. Asked discreetly to talk to the manager, explained I was uncomfortable with non-mask wearers in the store. He said he couldn't do much about it. I said, that's a shame, I'll get this projector somewhere else then. It's no wonder the High Street is dying on its arse if they can't accommodate the basic concerns of customers at these times.
    Good for you if you didn't buy it there.

Quote Originally Posted by az city View Post
    Good for you if you didn't buy it there.
    I bought online. I did notice that there was a sign in the window today at the same store asking people to wear masks. That projector is still sat there.

International

It seems a lot of folks are taking heed and still wearing masks where there are crowded or close situations in England, but equally a lot of people started to relax some things before the 19 Jul, so there may not be such a big rise in cases in 2 weeks or so as was expected, although we must expect some.
    Equally in Wales a lot of people seeing the relaxation in England are not waiting for the 7 Aug to do more things. That might be a good thing by easing the rise in numbers or a b ad thing meaning they rise earlier, depending on how you look at it. But most are still wearing masks in shops and public transport and I think that will continue just from people's own common sense

No mention of the protests around the uk yesterday?? Were they anti vax or anti lockdown? The ones in Cardiff ventured to Drakeford house in Pontcanna I see. Bit over the top but I’ve been wondering when this would happen.

International

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    No mention of the protests around the uk yesterday?? Were they anti vax or anti lockdown? The ones in Cardiff ventured to Drakeford house in Pontcanna I see. Bit over the top but I’ve been wondering when this would happen.
    it wouldn't bother him, he lives in the shed at the bottom of the garden.

Coronavirus infections continue to fall in UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57962995

Cases falling with no lockdown measures for first time ever…..

No morning update from bob…..strange

Coronavirus infections continue to fall in UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57962995

Cases falling with no lockdown measures for first time ever…..

No morning update from bob…..strange
    great that numbers are dropping. they also dropped right off last summer as well.

to early to see what effect the unlocking has had though, need to wait another week for that really. anyone getting tested for it last week likely caught the virus before the unlocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    great that numbers are dropping. they also dropped right off last summer as well.

to early to see what effect the unlocking has had though, need to wait another week for that really. anyone getting tested for it last week likely caught the virus before the unlocking.
    Schools only finished last Wednesday for many also so it’s not that……

Wonder what’s caused the drop in new cases? I’ve heard it said that the very hot spell is behind it because it meant people were spending more time outdoors- that seems logical, but I’m not sure it would have too much of an effect yet on the daily figures, I would have thought it’d be a day or two before the warm weather became a factor.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Wonder what’s caused the drop in new cases? I’ve heard it said that the very hot spell is behind it because it meant people were spending more time outdoors- that seems logical, but I’m not sure it would have too much of an effect yet on the daily figures, I would have thought it’d be a day or two before the warm weather became a factor.
    Uni/colleges broke up a few weeks ago?

Uni/colleges broke up a few weeks ago?
    Could be, makes as much sense as anything I can think of.

A couple of articles trying to explain the drop in new cases which leave me thinking nobody really knows what's going on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57971990

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-across-the-uk

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    A couple of articles trying to explain the drop in new cases which leave me thinking nobody really knows what's going on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57971990

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-across-the-uk
    We're definitely in uncharted territory now.
    It is good to see the rates dropping and yes I agree I don't think anyone knows why. I think their just riding it out and see what the autumn brings. Hopefully the success of the vaccination programme in the UK really does bring us as close to possible normal life by then, even if masks and hand sanitizers stay with us a bit longer in enclosed public places (which i've no problem at all with).
    International travel seems a long way off unrestricted but from a personal point of view I'm not even thinking about that at the moment.

A Covid-Weary World Is Facing a Distressing Reality Check Variants and new hotspots show what the virus’s long tail will be like: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...&sref=jjXJRDFv

That inequality is repeated around the globe. According to the Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker, the wealthiest 25 countries and regions around the globe have administered 18% of the total doses given, despite having only 9% of the population.

Those conditions are “a toxic cocktail for disaster,” said Joanne Liu, professor of global health at Montreal’s McGill University and former international president of Doctors Without Borders.

“It’s like climate change,” she said from Tunisia, where she’s helping in the Covid response. “We see it coming, we don’t know how we’re going to stop it. It needs a huge collective effort, meaning solidarity, sharing and equitable distribution of vaccine and goods.”
    Just been on a WhatsApp call with old colleagues in Sierra Leone. All reporting friends and family dying. No covid testing and nobody is counting them. They’re bemused that anyone in the west thinks they can put a number on their losses. Asked me can I please help with vaccines…

https://twitter.com/NICU_doc_salone/...19943323037697
    While caution and collective action still needed here, it's getting to stage where much bigger story is how covid will last for years more in poorer nations before there is widespread vaccination - some not expecting that until start of 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    While caution and collective action still needed here, it's getting to stage where much bigger story is how covid will last for years more in poorer nations before there is widespread vaccination - some not expecting that until start of 2023.
    And the longer the pandemic lasts, the more variants are produced that may not be protected by the current vaccines

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    And the longer the pandemic lasts, the more variants are produced that may not be protected by the current vaccines
    I think staying ahead of the virus in the future will be what it’s all about, a global effort, and hopefully it will just mutate to something that is easily treatable. Reckon a country that does have a variant of concern will just have to shutdown straight away so it cannot spread to others, until it’s checked out etc….

Looking at the graph on the top right hand side of the linked page, the fall in UK cases is being mirrored in Wales - good signs for more people to be allowed into the football?

https://public.tableau.com/app/profi...eadlinesummary

So we plan to let EU and US citizens in from Monday if they are double jabbed, but the yanks are still not letting anyone in? How is that fair and just?

So we plan to let EU and US citizens in from Monday if they are double jabbed, but the yanks are still not letting anyone in? How is that fair and just?
    Perhaps Biden doesn't want the bodies to pile high.

They already did over there didn’t they? But he’s happy for them to come here…..weird

The Delta Variant is now in the US, the CDC said that it accounts for something between 80 and 90% of new cases

so by keeping the borders closed is just harming the Tourism Industry

They already did over there didn’t they? But he’s happy for them to come here…..weird
    its all very strange

A US citizen can travel to the UK, see the sights, jump back on a plane and back home to the US

What is the difference to a UK citizen going on holiday to the US ? ? ?