+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Wednesday of this week saw 946 cases in Wales, 12.43% of tests returning positive results, and 10 deaths compared to 752 cases and 3 deaths last week with Winter season still to come. We know that going hard early can buy time but medium to longer term there needs to be a different plan than what we have been doing which is seeing/starting to see a detrimental effect to almost every aspect of life, and with a potential no deal now being spoken about more seriously than before.

An article on Germany's test/trace system from earlier this year: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...=1602853397226
    I see that Sweden appears to be one of the only country’s in Europe not having a second spike, were they right all along? Is it worth locking down at all?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I see that Sweden appears to be one of the only country’s in Europe not having a second spike, were they right all along? Is it worth locking down at all?
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status...596033/photo/1

"When will people stop obsessing about Sweden, and instead start focusing on Germany and why it's done so much better than other European countries? Map via @FT"

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status...596033/photo/1

"When will people stop obsessing about Sweden, and instead start focusing on Germany and why it's done so much better than other European countries? Map via @FT"
    Sure I read Germany was also having a surge, biggest rise today ever wasn’t it? Still, I get what your saying. No doubt they have a very good track and trace, and testing system. Plus German people aren’t as stupid as the British so can follow basic rules

International

Will the yanks share it though? As long as they give me one when the plane lands there next October I’ll be happy.....
    Shouldn't that comment be in the pun thread?

Will the yanks share it though? As long as they give me one when the plane lands there next October I’ll be happy.....
    surely they will spread the love around the world

You going in Oct then ? ? ? did you see the flights i messaged you about, i would go in Oct ( as we love the Halloween stuff ) but oldest will be in uni by then

"How No 10's relationship with its scientists broke down"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-10-broke-down

Interesting charts with this article as well which I found reassuring - while Wales' growing number of cases is a cause for concern, the fact that the highest placed Welsh region in the UK cases per 100,000 chart is Cardiff all the way down in fifty second does make you wonder whether the "circuit break" lockdown we're almost certain to get in Wales is needed? My own view is that it is, but I accept that are valid arguments on the other side.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post

You going in Oct then ? ? ? did you see the flights i messaged you about, i would go in Oct ( as we love the Halloween stuff ) but oldest will be in uni by then
    Yeah going about 12 months today. Giving Disney a swerve as seems like you can’t book much anyway, No fast passes, plus they aren’t doing any if the extra stuff anymore. I’ll stick with Universal for now, as all seems the same there. Few weeks at Clearwater after.

Just seen your messages now

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Interesting charts with this article as well which I found reassuring - while Wales' growing number of cases is a cause for concern, the fact that the highest placed Welsh region in the UK cases per 100,000 chart is Cardiff all the way down in fifty second does make you wonder whether the "circuit break" lockdown we're almost certain to get in Wales is needed? My own view is that it is, but I accept that are valid arguments on the other side.
    What is another lockdown going to do? Delay things a little maybe. If you are having a lockdown to beat the virus then you stop everybody from going anywhere. But that's not going to happen.

But we have so many mixed messages, inconsistencies and contradictions that people are starting to not really give a shit, and are carrying on regardless.

At some point the country is going to have to decide that we have to learn to live with this and make plans to do so.

The politicians are making decisions on things they know little about. They are not planning for a future, not making common sense decisions that will benefit the majority of the population, not taking into account the increasing number of non covid issues that are happing. Other illnesses going undetected, the mental health of a nation being eroded by scare-mongering statements that are then totally ignored by the people who are supposed to be leading by example. The affect on business and jobs.

They get an idea and then run with it even if it goes against guidelines set by organisations better placed to decide.

There is a catalogue of cock ups this year but still Boris thinks we are leading the world in all we do. And no one is allowed to challenge it.

In the past you would respect your politicians. You'd believe they were trying to do the right thing and make everyones lives better. Now they are being exposed as selfish, incompetent and acting on their own ideas that appeal to the minority rather than the majority.

DRAKEFORD BLINKS – AND BACKS DOWN ON PROPOSED ENGLISH-BORDER TRAVEL-BAN

https://penarthnews.wpcomstaging.com...er-travel-ban/

Just seen your messages now
    i thought it strange you didnt reply

flights for Oct wont be out yet, but in a few weeks time, get on it with the cheaper 1st seats, i think thats what i did for Aug as under 20 booked on the flights

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    What is another lockdown going to do? Delay things a little maybe. If you are having a lockdown to beat the virus then you stop everybody from going anywhere. But that's not going to happen.

But we have so many mixed messages, inconsistencies and contradictions that people are starting to not really give a shit, and are carrying on regardless.

At some point the country is going to have to decide that we have to learn to live with this and make plans to do so.

The politicians are making decisions on things they know little about. They are not planning for a future, not making common sense decisions that will benefit the majority of the population, not taking into account the increasing number of non covid issues that are happing. Other illnesses going undetected, the mental health of a nation being eroded by scare-mongering statements that are then totally ignored by the people who are supposed to be leading by example. The affect on business and jobs.

They get an idea and then run with it even if it goes against guidelines set by organisations better placed to decide.

There is a catalogue of cock ups this year but still Boris thinks we are leading the world in all we do. And no one is allowed to challenge it.

In the past you would respect your politicians. You'd believe they were trying to do the right thing and make everyones lives better. Now they are being exposed as selfish, incompetent and acting on their own ideas that appeal to the minority rather than the majority.
    I'd say that if it is correct that a two or three week lockdown could delay the progress of the virus for four weeks as has been claimed, then it's worth it if it is right that a vaccine is close to being rolled out. Whether this is true or not is hard to be sure about because there have been mixed messages about vaccines in the last month or so, but my attitude has always been lives over business as far as the virus is concerned - throughout history, people have been adaptable and innovative when reacting to changed circumstances in the business world and have a feeling that this will continue in what was being called the new normal a few months back.

That said, I agree about mixed messages - the UK Governments three tier system was supposed to clarify things with easy to understand definitions which would enable people to understand exactly what was expected of them in the area they lived. However, the new system has barely got up and running and already we start hearing about differences within the tier three category between Liverpool and Lancashire - it's hardly worth bothering with if this is going to become the norm, they may as well have just kept the previous system in place.

Ive got flights to Greece but they are rearranged from this year. I think theres every chance I will be doing the same again. Really dont fancy a 4 hour flight in a pandemic.

Despite the lower number of cases in the community, I suspect that hospitals in Wales are closer to breaking point.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

It’s quite amazing how much money they can waste, bumbling along. Apart from the vaccine which I’ve hear could possibly roll out around Christmas for those most in need, the twenty minute test that you can do from home is the one they really need to get on with. They’ve got it elsewhere, Boris says no need to buy it as we are developing our own....

i thought it strange you didnt reply

flights for Oct wont be out yet, but in a few weeks time, get on it with the cheaper 1st seats, i think thats what i did for Aug as under 20 booked on the flights
    Been busy this week and don’t glance up to the top of the screen enough.....

I'd say that if it is correct that a two or three week lockdown could delay the progress of the virus for four weeks as has been claimed, then it's worth it if it is right that a vaccine is close to being rolled out. Whether this is true or not is hard to be sure about because there have been mixed messages about vaccines in the last month or so, but my attitude has always been lives over business as far as the virus is concerned - throughout history, people have been adaptable and innovative when reacting to changed circumstances in the business world and have a feeling that this will continue in what was being called the new normal a few months back.

That said, I agree about mixed messages - the UK Governments three tier system was supposed to clarify things with easy to understand definitions which would enable people to understand exactly what was expected of them in the area they lived. However, the new system has barely got up and running and already we start hearing about differences within the tier three category between Liverpool and Lancashire - it's hardly worth bothering with if this is going to become the norm, they may as well have just kept the previous system in place.
    How long do you think it will take to vaccinate the entire population?

Quote Originally Posted by LeningradCowboy View Post
    How long do you think it will take to vaccinate the entire population?
    A long time, but, hopefully, those whose need is the greatest can be done quickly - once those who needed to be shielded have been given the protection of a vaccination, the situation changes and businesses that have been worst affected can return to something close to normal.

A long time, but, hopefully, those whose need is the greatest can be done quickly - once those who needed to be shielded have been given the protection of a vaccination, the situation changes and businesses that have been worst affected can return to something close to normal.
    Over 70 first.....how many are left after the Tories tried to kill them all off in April?

I very much doubt they will operate close to normal when there is a vaccine for the most vulnerable. Any vaccine is very unlikely to guarantee protection.

I doubt they will even vaccinate the entire population.

The likeliest is the most vulnerable and key workers are going to need regular vaccinations. I just cant see say the under 30s with no underlying health conditions being regularly being vaccinated for something that is unlikely to affect them.

The only way the entire population gets vaccinated if something comes along where one jab near 100 percent protects you for life and thats not going to happen.

Normal or near normal will probably be when we come to an acceptable point we can control and live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I very much doubt they will operate close to normal when there is a vaccine for the most vulnerable. Any vaccine is very unlikely to guarantee protection.

I doubt they will even vaccinate the entire population.

The likeliest is the most vulnerable and key workers are going to need regular vaccinations. I just cant see say the under 30s with no underlying health conditions being regularly being vaccinated for something that is unlikely to affect them.

The only way the entire population gets vaccinated if something comes along where one jab near 100 percent protects you for life and thats not going to happen.

Normal or near normal will probably be when we come to an acceptable point we can control and live with it.
    Although I'd have usually had it by now and still haven't heard anything about having one this year yet, I've had a flu vaccination annually for close to a decade and I can definitely say that I don't give the flu a second thought after having had my yearly jab. My attitude towards Covid would change greatly if I was able to have the same sort of thing every year - I'm certainly not expecting any vaccine to be a case of have one and then you have protection for life, but I'm sure it would lead to a great deal more peace of mind for those of state pension age who aren't in the anti vaxxer camp.

Once the most vulnerable have protection, there is less urgency to vaccinate those who, statistically, are very unlikely to have serious, life threatening, symptoms and so those of, say, thirty and under who must be hating all of the restrictions to their lives which aren't really necessary on a personal level, will be able to get on with their lives again.

Although I'd have usually had it by now and still haven't heard anything about having one this year yet, I've had a flu vaccination annually for close to a decade and I can definitely say that I don't give the flu a second thought after having had my yearly jab. My attitude towards Covid would change greatly if I was able to have the same sort of thing every year - I'm certainly not expecting any vaccine to be a case of have one and then you have protection for life, but I'm sure it would lead to a great deal more peace of mind for those of state pension age who aren't in the anti vaxxer camp.

Once the most vulnerable have protection, there is less urgency to vaccinate those who, statistically, are very unlikely to have serious, life threatening, symptoms and so those of, say, thirty and under who must be hating all of the restrictions to their lives which aren't really necessary on a personal level, will be able to get on with their lives again.
    Agree with most of that.

On a side im hearing from a local business who have been given a nudge pubs will shut 6pm next Friday and reopen Monday 9th November. So knocking 3 weekends of drinking out.

Agree with most of that.

On a side im hearing from a local business who have been given a nudge pubs will shut 6pm next Friday and reopen Monday 9th November. So knocking 3 weekends of drinking out.
    The supermarkets will be like Christmas then this week with people loading up.

The priority list for getting the COVID jab when available is as follows:

Older adults' resident in a care home and care home workers
    All those 80 years of age and over and health and social care workers
    All those 75 years of age and over
    All those 70 years of age and over
    All those 65 years of age and over
    High-risk adults under 65 years of age
    Moderate-risk adults under 65 years of age
    All those 60 years of age and over
    All those 55 years of age and over
    All those 50 years of age and over
    Rest of the population (priority to be determined)

It seems those most responsible for spreading the virus - students and the late night partiers in City Centres - don't even make the list.

Agree with most of that.

Tragic.