+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

International

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Not sure, you are getting the point. There is a planned visit. It is part of the post-Brexit strategy of greater engagement with dynamic new markets. When the science about the Indian sub-continent came to his table he should have treated India as the other nations. He didn't. I could only speculate why but a more favourable treatment of a country that the UK is targeting post Brexit is most likely. The idea that Johnson would go to a country he just or should have placed on the red list because he could is frankly laughable!
    I'm not disputing what you say. All I did was suggest that what TOBW said about it being left off he red list "Just so Boris could go" and for no other reason is silly. Nothing else. I think it is laughable. That's it!

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I'm not disputing what you say. All I did was suggest that what TOBW said about it being left off he red list "Just so Boris could go" and for no other reason is silly. Nothing else. I think it is laughable. That's it!
    The accusation is not that the delay was to allow Johnson to go, it was to preserve the opportunity for him to visit without looking like he was travelling in a manner his government was banning. Why is he not banged up in a hotel for 10 days like every other red list visitor? The dominant virus that has forced a further month on lockdown restrictions came into the UK during that period. I guess that will be another thing that will have to wait for the public enquiry, whenever that takes place!

Not sure, you are getting the point. There is a planned visit. It is part of the post-Brexit strategy of greater engagement with dynamic new markets. When the science about the Indian sub-continent came to his table he should have treated India as the other nations. He didn't. I could only speculate why but a more favourable treatment of a country that the UK is targeting post Brexit is most likely. The idea that Johnson would go to a country he just or should have placed on the red list because he could is frankly laughable!
    He's definitely not getting the point. In another post, you said "This is a Prime Minister and government obsessed with optics and imagery.", even Johnson must realise that jetting off to countries everyone else is banned from visiting is a terrible look which you'd guess would lose him popularity (I say that, but the blind loyalty shown to him and his Government by around forty per cent of voters means that there is a rump in this country who mirror the devotion to Trump we still see in America - the Trump quote about how he could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue and not lose votes could apply to Johnson and, say, Oxford Street here).

He stated clearly that whatever England did he would not do. And he said it before the scientists had made their judgement.
    So if the science said lift the bans he would not have done it.
    Now it says keep the bans what will he do, lift them or impose even more?
    It's not rocket science is it?
    It's so easy for you isn't it. All you have to do is repeat what you think you heard or read as fact and jump to conclusions which suit your agenda. Here is what Mark Drakeford actually said;-

https://nation.cymru/news/wales-wont...ford-confirms/

It's not quite the same as you said it was is it? Now, it appears to me that what Johnson said yesterday could be construed as an admission that the Drakeford view was the correct one in that there was a still a need for caution, but maybe your theory that we can expect Drakeford to go back on what he said earlier this month any time today might be right - after all, the First Minister changes his mind so often when it comes to the Pandemic doesn't he.

It somewhat sours a trip if you've just told people not to visit a country whether that's causing a frostier reception once you're there or creating some big questions at home as they watch you fly out. I think there is probably some truth in Boris wanting to delay based on trade talks with India.

However, as far as I can tell, the scientist's Boris stands next to haven't really backed down on their support for the delay. At several times during this pandemic the scientists haven't come to consensus about wanting to act until there was a need to do so yesterday - which is usually followed by politicians not wanting to act until there was a need a month ago - so this might be another example of this.

It's much easier to take unpopular action when there is public backing for it which only happens once horse has bolted. I don't think it's only Boris wanting a positive (key word) trip to India that has contributed to late action on India, though that might be the most shameful reason.

At the same time, there was some action on India before it went to the red list and some people will have chosen to fly home via Turkey/other to avoid needing to play their part after it was on red list - similar happened with previous variant hotspots.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post

However, as far as I can tell, the scientist's Boris stands next to haven't really backed down on their support for the delay. At several times during this pandemic the scientists haven't come to consensus about wanting to act until there was a need to do so yesterday - which is usually followed by politicians not wanting to act until there was a need a month ago - so this might be another example of this.

It's much easier to take unpopular action when there is public backing for it which only happens once horse has bolted....
    And to demonstrate why it's politician's rather than just Tory government:

V Gething just referenced how Wales was ahead of the rest of the UK in bringing in the firebreak and therefore didn't have to keep it in place for as long.

Forget the rest of the UK this is about Wales. We went into the firebreak OVER A MONTH after it was recommended by SAGE.

https://twitter.com/WillHayCardiff/s...08899705397251
    Nicola Sturgeon would argue that she brought in much tougher measures across most populated areas of Scotland sooner than Wales brought in firebreak as well. Though both took action before government in Westminster did.

International

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It's so easy for you isn't it. All you have to do is repeat what you think you heard or read as fact and jump to conclusions which suit your agenda. Here is what Mark Drakeford actually said;-

It's not quite the same as you said it was is it? Now, it appears to me that what Johnson said yesterday could be construed as an admission that the Drakeford view was the correct one in that there was a still a need for caution, but maybe your theory that we can expect Drakeford to go back on what he said earlier this month any time today might be right - after all, the First Minister changes his mind so often when it comes to the Pandemic doesn't he.
    you've got a cheek talking about things being so easy for people. you believe that you are the only person on here who can writ properly and that your posts must be respected just because they come from you. You may know a lot about City but that doesn't make you omnipotent in all things.
    I said that your statement (of fact) that the ONLY reason India was kept off the red list was because Boris wanted to visit was bollox. It is an opinion, that's all.

For every post someone puts up stating black someone else will find something that says white. Most of the posts are peppered with words like if should might could maybe and so on. None of it is fact most of the time. But because it's printed in the Guardian or somewhere else within your myopic vision it must be so. Get a life!!

International

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It somewhat sours a trip if you've just told people not to visit a country whether that's causing a frostier reception once you're there or creating some big questions at home as they watch you fly out. I think there is probably some truth in Boris wanting to delay based on trade talks with India.

It's much easier to take unpopular action when there is public backing for it which only happens once horse has bolted. I don't think it's only Boris wanting a positive (key word) trip to India that has contributed to late action on India, though that might be the most shameful reason.

At the same time, there was some action on India before it went to the red list and some people will have chosen to fly home via Turkey/other to avoid needing to play their part after it was on red list - similar happened with previous variant hotspots.
    That is exactly right. There was the same delay with Pakistan and Bangladesh earlier in the month when they had higher case levels, but the press and the opposition didn't jump on that because there wasn't any talk of the PM visiting those places. Hancock was asked about the India red list discussion in parliament and said it was a scientific decision. But don't let that interfere with people on here having their opinions as FACT.

you've got a cheek talking about things being so easy for people. you believe that you are the only person on here who can writ properly and that your posts must be respected just because they come from you. You may know a lot about City but that doesn't make you omnipotent in all things.
    I said that your statement (of fact) that the ONLY reason India was kept off the red list was because Boris wanted to visit was bollox. It is an opinion, that's all.

For every post someone puts up stating black someone else will find something that says white. Most of the posts are peppered with words like if should might could maybe and so on. None of it is fact most of the time. But because it's printed in the Guardian or somewhere else within your myopic vision it must be so. Get a life!!
    Touched a nerve there didn’t I . Have another look at what I actually said rather than what you think I said, how can I be making a statement of fact as you call it when I end what I say with a question mark?

That is exactly right. There was the same delay with Pakistan and Bangladesh earlier in the month when they had higher case levels, but the press and the opposition didn't jump on that because there wasn't any talk of the PM visiting those places. Hancock was asked about the India red list discussion in parliament and said it was a scientific decision. But don't let that interfere with people on here having their opinions as FACT.
    Here are some facts to go with your opinions.

Bangladesh had the South Africa but not the Brazil variant and Pakistan had neither when they were added to the red list on 9 April.

India had both, as well as a new variant, but was not added for another two weeks.

On 9 April:

Pakistan had a seven-day average of 21 cases per million people
    Bangladesh had twice as many
    India had four times as many

International

Here are some facts to go with your opinions.

Bangladesh had the South Africa but not the Brazil variant and Pakistan had neither when they were added to the red list on 9 April.

India had both, as well as a new variant, but was not added for another two weeks.

On 9 April:

Pakistan had a seven-day average of 21 cases per million people
    Bangladesh had twice as many
    India had four times as many
    I know, I read the same articles. But to suggest India was kept of the list just so Boris could visit and for no other reason is arrant nonsense.
    But then, every single thing he does is wrong. Now you must admit that takes a great deal of planning and concentration, not everyone could do it. Years of practice probably.

you need to stop taking these threads too seriously, you'll hurt yourself.

International

Touched a nerve there didn’t I . Have another look at what I actually said rather than what you think I said, how can I be making a statement of fact as you call it when I end what I say with a question mark?
    Got to the level of correcting peoples grammar now have we? We really are plumbing the depths. It's time to remind yourself that this message board is not real life and it is not part of the Senedd or the hose of Commons or the United Nations or some other great debating chamber that can actually make a difference to shit. It's just a bunch of guys commenting on things ovefr whic htey have zero influence and zero affect.

The bickering just goes on….and on….and on…….zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxxxxxx

Got to the level of correcting peoples grammar now have we? We really are plumbing the depths. It's time to remind yourself that this message board is not real life and it is not part of the Senedd or the hose of Commons or the United Nations or some other great debating chamber that can actually make a difference to shit. It's just a bunch of guys commenting on things ovefr whic htey have zero influence and zero affect.
    I really think you should stop, you're making a fool of yourself now. In what universe is me pointing out that I'd put a question mark in something I had written "correcting peoples grammar"?

International

I really think you should stop, you're making a fool of yourself now. In what universe is me pointing out that I'd put a question mark in something I had written "correcting peoples grammar"?
    You need to get a life, really. This isn't it.

After yesterday's 200 plus new cases, it's drop below a hundred, only just mind, today. It's the Betsi Cadwaladr Health Board in North Wales that is driving the recent increase, with just under a half of the new cases - the figures for south Wales have only risen slightly;-

https://public.tableau.com/views/Rap...3Aembed=true#2

After yesterday's 200 plus new cases, it's drop below a hundred, only just mind, today. It's the Betsi Cadwaladr Health Board in North Wales that is driving the recent increase, with just under a half of the new cases - the figures for south Wales have only risen slightly;-

https://public.tableau.com/views/Rap...3Aembed=true#2
    That healthboard covers tourism hotspots like Llandudno doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    That healthboard covers tourism hotspots like Llandudno doesn't it?
    Yes I think it does.

Yes I think it does.
    since the weather turned good, the tourist hotspots in North wales have been absolutely heaving, mostly with Brummies and scousers according to a friend of mine who lives there.
    I don't think we have as many people popping across the border to tourist things in South Wales, they seem mostly to be local destinations.

"people's.."

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    "people's.."
    I presume you did notice Bob's quotation marks when correcting xsnaggle's grammar?

For future reference, one full stop goes outside the quotation marks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    since the weather turned good, the tourist hotspots in North wales have been absolutely heaving, mostly with Brummies and scousers according to a friend of mine who lives there.
    I don't think we have as many people popping across the border to tourist things in South Wales, they seem mostly to be local destinations.
    I was in Tenby 10 days ago and it was heaving with English tourists - most sounded like they were from London and the south east.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I was in Tenby 10 days ago and it was heaving with English tourists - most sounded like they were from London and the south east.
    This is Pembrokeshire though, they don't call it "Little England beyond Wales" for no reason

Quote Originally Posted by bluesp View Post
    This is Pembrokeshire though, they don't call it "Little England beyond Wales" for no reason
    True - and my guess is that half the shopkeepers, cafe owners, taxi drivers and people running B&Bs were English. But my point is that the English tourists had to cross the border to get to Tenby - and from the accents it was probably across the bridge and through South Wales, before joining the 10 mile tailback into Pembrokeshire!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    True - and my guess is that half the shopkeepers, cafe owners, taxi drivers and people running B&Bs were English. But my point is that the English tourists had to cross the border to get to Tenby - and from the accents it was probably across the bridge and through South Wales, before joining the 10 mile tailback into Pembrokeshire!
    Very true. I was down there last week and there seemed to be plenty of people about in both Tenby and Saundersfoot. The decent weather keeps people outside which is good, everyone I saw inside was being sensible.