+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 193 of 197 FirstFirst ... 93143183184185186187188189190191192193194195196197 LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,790 of 5901

Thread: Coronavirus update

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Allez Allez Allez View Post
    Your sources?
    Goats has been on record to say he literally lives next door to 8 doctors and knows a few more so I wouldn't diss him just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Expect to hear good stuff about this, if my sources are correct. Won’t put my neck right in the block as this isn’t a player signing type stuff....but it’s the best yet AND it’s already here and waiting. No logistical or temperature issues.
    Any hope is great news .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Any hope is great news .
    What does that mean?

Even though Cardiff City are middling in the Championship I have a fantastic hope that they will go up as Champions.

Phew. I had my doubts but that's great news!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Goats has been on record to say he literally lives next door to 8 doctors and knows a few more so I wouldn't diss him just yet.
    That’s right but this wasn’t them.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Over a thousand new cases in Wales for a third consecutive day after it was below that level earlier in the week - that doesn't look good in terms of the effectiveness of the firebreak, but I suppose it's too early to draw too many conclusions.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/p...eadlinesummary
    Down under a thousand in Wales today - surprised by the lower Cwm Taf Morgannwg figure, I wonder if that's got anything to do with the testing situation in Merthyr?

International

Down under a thousand in Wales today - surprised by the lower Cwm Taf Morgannwg figure, I wonder if that's got anything to do with the testing situation in Merthyr?

Or maybe its just because its Sunday and the usual weekend blip.

the daily figure is too erratic to read much into it, the graphs are more useful, it looks as though we may have plateaued, or be coming down very graduallyIMG_20201122_162622.jpg

What you say is true for deaths figures, but the day of the week it is doesn’t seem to be that much of a factor when it comes to new cases.

Oxford vaccine 70% effective. It uses more traditional technology bit like the flu vaccine and with similar effectiveness.

So here is a vaccine that is much easier to store and administer but 25% less effective, and it's the one UK has purchased 100m doses of.

Maybe the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines will be given to the elderly and the Oxford rolled out to the general population.

All good news and the sooner its available the better

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    Oxford vaccine 70% effective. It uses more traditional technology bit like the flu vaccine and with similar effectiveness.

So here is a vaccine that is much easier to store and administer but 25% less effective, and it's the one UK has purchased 100m doses of.

Maybe the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines will be given to the elderly and the Oxford rolled out to the general population.

This is what my “mate” told me last week, he said about 90% though, he must have meant the people they gave half a dose, then another full dose too.....still, good news I guess

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635

Interesting line about how the effectiveness rose to 80 per cent in people given an initial half dose and then a full dose.

From what I understand, this is a field where 50 per cent effectiveness is considered good, so I'm not sure I buy that bit about 70 per cent being a "disappointment" and I don't get how thirty cases of Covid among those who were given the vaccine and 101 in those given a dummy works out at 70 per cent protection when 20,000 people were involved in the testing.

Interesting line about how the effectiveness rose to 80 per cent in people given an initial half dose and then a full dose.

From what I understand, this is a field where 50 per cent effectiveness is considered good, so I'm not sure I buy that bit about 70 per cent being a "disappointment" and I don't get how thirty cases of Covid among those who were given the vaccine and 101 in those given a dummy works out at 70 per cent protection when 20,000 people were involved in the testing.
    The maths do make sense. 101 of 10,000 got Covid when given a placebo. In those given the vaccine only 30 got it, which is 70% less than the placebo group, so it's 70% effective.
    Interesting point about the group given a half dose first. No doubt this will be investigated further.

The maths do make sense. 101 of 10,000 got Covid when given a placebo. In those given the vaccine only 30 got it, which is 70% less than the placebo group, so it's 70% effective.
    Interesting point about the group given a half dose first. No doubt this will be investigated further.
    Yes particularly as we have so many doses. I guess even 70 is considered good when our regular flu vaccine is about 50%.

Up to 90% Bob not 80%.

Up to 90% Bob not 80%.
    Thanks, that's what I get for mislaying my glasses again. Thanks also to lisvaneblue for his clarification.

Another encouraging aspect of this trial is that none of the people involved who caught Covid were hospitalised.

Thanks, that's what I get for mislaying my glasses again. Thanks also to lisvaneblue for his clarification.

Another encouraging aspect of this trial is that none of the people involved who caught Covid were hospitalised.
    This sounds so promising hope people dont think they can now go out and have a massive party.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    This sounds so promising hope people dont think they can now go out and have a massive party.
    Here's me on reading that, just cranked on a live version of '586' and currently jigging around the kitchen with a bottle of Moretti.

I'm swerving the neighbours though.

Also, and I find this stuff a bit confusing, the Oxford/Astra Zeneca vaccine boost T-Cell immunity rather than Antibody. So it *should* be more effective long term.

Great news about the Oxford vaccine but can anyone please explain why the results differ with 1.5 doses and 2 doses? What are the mechanics? And which technology will be best?

Gonna have the vaccine anyway, but I am extremely curious about it

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    Here's me on reading that, just cranked on a live version of '586' and currently jigging around the kitchen with a bottle of Moretti.

I'm swerving the neighbours though.

ergo goats is either a student nurse or lives in a loony bin.

Yes particularly as we have so many doses. I guess even 70 is considered good when our regular flu vaccine is about 50%.

The question is, 70% effective but longer term protection, or 90% effective, more costly, and not as long protection.

In 6-9 months these vaccines will start looking a little primitive as other vaccines continue to be developed, the key point being that the virus can be contained, at least, by the wonders of modern science.

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    Great news about the Oxford vaccine but can anyone please explain why the results differ with 1.5 doses and 2 doses? What are the mechanics? And which technology will be best?

Gonna have the vaccine anyway, but I am extremely curious about it
    A difficult one for us mortals....
    One idea is the immune system rejects the vaccine, which is built around a common cold virus, if it is given in too big an initial dose.

Or a low then high shot may be a better mimic of a coronavirus infection and lead to a better immune response.

Covid-19: Oxford University vaccine is highly effective https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55040635

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    ergo goats is either a student nurse or lives in a loony bin.
    Definitely the latter, all my life too

Worth a watch for the sceptics out there......

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/u...eason-19334025

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55057642

Deaths in Wales still on the rise. The highest weekly total since early-May apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post

Deaths in Wales still on the rise. The highest weekly total since early-May apparently.
    Cardiff cases were up to around 630 yesterday

A 10% rise since Thursday, when they had gone down well since the 2 week lockdown. Stayed around 565 for three days last week, but has gone upon two days since

Bad in the valleys still looking at that graph.....

If infections is on a 2-3 week lag then deaths is probably a couple of weeks behind that, so the high numbers now probably refelects the worst of the second spike?

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    If infections is on a 2-3 week lag then deaths is probably a couple of weeks behind that, so the high numbers now probably refelects the worst of the second spike?
    Agreed, it's certainly conceivable that many of those deaths were people who caught the virus pre firebreak.

Just under 600 new cases in Wales today with more than two thirds of them in Blaenau Gwent and only 37 in Cardiff. It was a low number of tests compared to normal though, but is that because there weren't as many people requiring them?