+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Coronavirus update - NO MORE RESTRICTIONS

Re: Coronavirus update

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    Never let a crisis go to waste. As if the Labour alternative could do any better. After McDonnel, Abbot and Corbyn we have Starmer who has flim flammed all over the place on for example closing the borders and education.
    "Never let a crisis go to waste"!!! What a pathetic and hugely disrespectful response to the passing of 100,000 souls and the blood on this government's hands!

Assailing your political foes even though they had no control over the situation we now find ourselves in saddens me but I probably shouldn't have expected more from you even on this sombre occasion.

Never let a crisis go to waste. As if the Labour alternative could do any better. After McDonnel, Abbot and Corbyn we have Starmer who has flim flammed all over the place on for example closing the borders and education.
    I doubt any other cabinet, and I'm including Tory cabinets of old so this is not red v blue, would have wasted so many billions on contracts for their unqualified associates.

Jobs for the boys has been sickening, and probably criminal.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I doubt any other cabinet, and I'm including Tory cabinets of old so this is not red v blue, would have wasted so many billions on contracts for their unqualified associates.

Exactly. I wholeheartedly would have taken a Theresa May or a John Major (even a fecking David Cameron) govt. over these criminals.

Yep completely agree, I don't understand being so deep in support of a political party that anyone could defend this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    "Never let a crisis go to waste"!!! What a pathetic and hugely disrespectful response to the passing of 100,000 souls and the blood on this government's hands!

Assailing your political foes even though they had no control over the situation we now find ourselves in saddens me but I probably shouldn't have expected more from you even on this sombre occasion.
    I was quoting the Labour Party's Education spokesperson, Kate Green. I agree it is hugely disrespectful, pathetic and idiotic. I quoted that because that is the kind of idiocy that has emerged from our opposition that many oh here support without question.. For reference:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/28/labou...aste-13338820/

I am no fan of Johnson either but to think Her Majesty's opposition could do any better is speculative to say the least. In answer to another question I mentioned it because of the quote mentioned in my post.

I was quoting the Labour Party's Education spokesperson, Kate Green. I agree it is hugely disrespectful, pathetic and idiotic. I quoted that because that is the kind of idiocy that has emerged from our opposition that many oh here support without question.. For reference:

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/28/labou...aste-13338820/

I am no fan of Johnson either but to think Her Majesty's opposition could do any better is speculative to say the least. In answer to another question I mentioned it because of the quote mentioned in my post.
    To think they'd do worse is speculative to say the least, I don't see how it could have gone worse.

It will be 150,000 deaths by the end of March the way we are going.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I told you in my first post on the subject, but I've finished with this discussion now because, as always with you, we'll just end up going round and round in circles.
    all you said was that HMT did not allow for extra furlough (in Wales). WG could still have taken the decision to lockdown, you can't blame the lack of HMT funding, it was WGs decision alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    To think they'd do worse is speculative to say the least, I don't see how it could have gone worse.

It will be 150,000 deaths by the end of March the way we are going.
    To think they would do better is equally speculative. The number of deaths is horrendous and no doubt the reasons for this and the recriminations will come out in the inevitable Public Inquiry from which hopefully valuable lessons will be learned.

I have criticised this government on several fronts in relation to the crisis (for example, the ineptitude of Johnson, PPE, Test and Trace, timing of lockdowns and the Dominic Cummings incident etc) but I find this unwavering support for the opposition to be biased in the extreme.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    That's your opinion (although I highly doubt it's your actual opinion).

What about the bit about the WAG not being able to legally close the border before those powers were granted in the Covid act?

Also, regarding the Stereophonics gig...

This is in the Coronavirus Act 2020:

'Powers regarding public gatherings and premises

The Act gives ministers, including in the devolved administrations, the power to restrict or prohibit gatherings or events, and the power to close or restrict access to premises. The minister can only use this power if they have made an official declaration that the virus constitutes a “serious and imminent” threat to public health, and that using the powers would either help to control the transmission of the virus, or would facilitate the most appropriate deployment of medical/emergency resources.'

Somebody please explain to me why that the act gave these powers to devolved ministers if they already had this power?
    if you read what I wrote I said WG had all the powers that the UK government had. Whatever the UK government could do, so could WG.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Of course they could have done better. We won't know whether they would have, but it is had to imagine how they could have been any worse.
    They would have had much more scrutiny from the press as well.
    I offer you the USA

Feedback

who exactly had experience of handling a pandemic before March 2020?

Feedback

Yep completely agree, I don't understand being so deep in support of a political party that anyone could defend this.
    irony alert

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    if you read what I wrote I said WG had all the powers that the UK government had. Whatever the UK government could do, so could WG.
    Yeah, but you saying that doesn't help matters when you're purposely looking for an argument.

Perhaps you can answer my question if you're so confident...

If the WAG had the same powers as the UK Govt., why were they granted powers in the Coronavirus Act 2020?

Ahem...

Who was responsible for stockpiling PPE in the event of a pandemic? Was it PHW?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...0-in-six-years

Wales couldn't lockdown early for a number of reasons. Perhaps the main one being as the UK govt. was responsible for furlough. As a Tory and a constant critic of locking down, surely even you can see that making businesses close without financial support would have caused further devastation to people's lives and livelihoods? The UK govt. played the pandemic down and dragged their feet until the end of March 2020. That's on them!

Also, didn't the Covid bill get passed into law after the lockdown to grant the WAG more powers over Wales' response? Before that, it appears they legally couldn't close the border... Just as Scotland couldn't.

In April 2020 Wales said they'd follow the national approach to track and trace. Ok then... What would you have had them do in that situation and at that time when the UK govt. was going on about a "world beating" system they were implementing and spending fecking billions of pounds on. No, you're not having that one. The money for it was coming from Westminster and they spent it on lining their mate's pockets.

I will concede on the Stereophonics gig as that does seem to be something that could have been stopped. They will have to own that one and the consequences thereof.

After all of that... Which one of us appears to be confused?
    Ahem...

PPE...Thank you the Guardian. They mention UK DHSC, but that body is essentially for England regarding Health. I say again PHW and NHS are the responsible bodies in Wales. Latterly Drakeford has spoken how well Wales did securing PPE to the extent that we helped England out.

Lockdown....Of course we could have locked down earlier but we chose not to. It takes guts and we could have locked down without a furlough scheme in place. It would have traumatic with a lot of people on the dole but we could have done it.

Track and Trace...Wales could have done its own thing, in fact it did I think in Ceredigion and it worked well. Track and trace is not the world beater that was promised but to add to that Wales had real problems getting timely results and that's not Westminsters fault.

I don't where issue about borders came in because I didn't raise it.

who exactly had experience of handling a pandemic before March 2020?
    Use semantics on a word in my post if it makes you feel superior (although qualifications and experience are not the same).

This is what the current Tories have been doing and I don't think any previous government would have gone as far as they have during a deadly health crisis.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/po...-donors/27/10/

"The Government has handed out PPE worth more than half a billion pounds to firms with links to the Conservative Party – without letting other firms compete for the contracts, reports suggest."

To think they would do better is equally speculative. The number of deaths is horrendous and no doubt the reasons for this and the recriminations will come out in the inevitable Public Inquiry from which hopefully valuable lessons will be learned.

I have criticised this government on several fronts in relation to the crisis (for example, the ineptitude of Johnson, PPE, Test and Trace, timing of lockdowns and the Dominic Cummings incident etc) but I find this unwavering support for the opposition to be biased in the extreme.
    I don't understand why you think anyone is supporting the opposition?

Everyone is saying the government have made a shitshow of this, they're a bunch of crooked ***** and deserve to be held up for what they've done.

It's on you that you think anyone criticising this government and the pathetic way they're handled this pandemic is support for the opposition.

irony alert
    What political party do you think I support?

I am in no way a labour supporter, I've no idea why you think that?

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."
    You know you've been found out when you have to resort to shit like this.

Yeah, but you saying that doesn't help matters when you're purposely looking for an argument.

If the WAG had the same powers as the UK Govt., why were they granted powers in the Coronavirus Act 2020?
    Wales Gov were granted emergency powers on 8 March 2020 when 4 cases had been reported in Wales

Feedback

you mean the powers that were granted to the UK government at the same time?

Feedback

What political party do you think I support?

I am in no way a labour supporter, I've no idea why you think that?
    I have no idea, nor do I care. However your continued Tory bashing whilst at the same time ignoring the chuckle**** that is Drakeford is rather telling.

That's your opinion (although I highly doubt it's your actual opinion).

What about the bit about the WAG not being able to legally close the border before those powers were granted in the Covid act?

Also, regarding the Stereophonics gig...

This is in the Coronavirus Act 2020:

'Powers regarding public gatherings and premises

The Act gives ministers, including in the devolved administrations, the power to restrict or prohibit gatherings or events, and the power to close or restrict access to premises. The minister can only use this power if they have made an official declaration that the virus constitutes a “serious and imminent” threat to public health, and that using the powers would either help to control the transmission of the virus, or would facilitate the most appropriate deployment of medical/emergency resources.'

Somebody please explain to me why that the act gave these powers to devolved ministers if they already had this power?
    All four home countries were granted emergency powers on 8 March 2020. The Stereophoncis gig was mid-March so Wales Gov could have stopped it. It would however have been a very unpopular move.

I have no idea, nor do I care. However your continued Tory bashing whilst at the same time ignoring the chuckle**** that is Drakeford is rather telling.
    At the end of the day, this really is what it's about. People are criticising 'my team' too much, and not 'their team'.

Quote Originally Posted by lisvaneblue View Post
    All four home countries were granted emergency powers on 8 March 2020. The Stereophoncis gig was mid-March so Wales Gov could have stopped it. It would however have been a very unpopular move.
    The Stereophonics gig should have been cancelled. Many said it at the time. It was a massive error that probably cost lives.

However it was months ago. The more recent resurgence in the spread of the virus is nothing to do with it.